Argus 2014

vaalkol

Hi all,

I see that the starting times are the same as last year - the dangerous 2 minutes apart starts.

I phoned the organizers last year complaining about this. The race was so unsafe and frightening... I just never want to go through that again.

Can't we all like petition against this?

I think it will be crowded and intimidating no matter what they do. Any mass race like the Argus will frighten you if you are not used to riding with lots of people. If they make the start bunches smaller (good thing) they have to make the time between them shorter (bad thing). If they make the time between bunches longer(good thing), they have to make the start bunches bigger (bad thing). There are only so many hours they can have full road closure, and in order to give the last starters (after 10am) a reasonable time to the finish before the cut-off (4pm?), the sardine method is about the only way. If the seeding works well, then the race get strung out and the slower groups will fall behind further, thinning it out. Sadly, with almost 35 000 riders out there, bottlenecks and crowding will happen. Should they restrict numbers further? No, I think it will take away some of the magic of what makes the Argus such a fantastic circus. The only solution is to improve your bike skills and learn to ride with crowds. Or get really fast and do seeding races so you start at the front of the field and thus avoid the unpredictable wildebeest herd at the back.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in D last year. So you say I should try for A?

Based on your theory, then why is Elite and the next group 5 minutes apart while we have to be content with 2?

They could make the cut-off time later.

They could start the front earlier. Do the race in Feb for more sun light, etc.

They could be more considered for the seeders than the fun riders. we worked hard for it.

Guest Omega Man

just entered my first Argus. Cant believe I've actually entered ...finaly got sick of people asking if I've done the august and me answering no ....

Ja. I accidentally tripped and entered today too.

Based on your theory, then why is Elite and the next group 5 minutes apart while we have to be content with 2?

They could be more considered for the seeders than the fun riders. we worked hard for it.

I was in A this year and we caught the group before us in Muizenberg. So bottlenecks will be everywhere. If you are fast enough try to get into the Elite bunch, the only group without traffic.

I'm in.

Thought we were doing well with 340s last year, then we found out that a mate's dad did a sub 3 at age 49, albeit on the 104 course. :eek:

Regardless... challenge accepted!

You mean the advantage to go to work by boat? :thumbup:

At least then I will be able to work on my swimming skills, which currently are sadly lacking ;)

Sorry, I didn't mean to be condescending (D bunch people know their stuff) just tried to say that it is difficult to keep everyone happy in a race as big as that. Personally, the serious racing in the front (I'm way past that) scares me more than riding with the crazies at the back (rode with my kids the last 2 years).

Just to give more perspective: My 12 year old son did his first one on his own bike this year (rode tandem with me before that) and he did every single PPA race from December onwards as well as at least 1 shorter ride during the week. I'd say he worked pretty hard to be ready and rode it in a relaxed 5 hours from a 09h30 start, over the hottest part of the day. I think some of the slow coaches deserve the same respect and fair chance as the sub 3 chasers.

Dunno what you guys are on about. Did my VIP entry last week in less than 5 minutes.

Entered a friends Daughter for her first Argus on Sunday, just after 13h00. Took me about 10 minutes, including registering her on the system. The payment section did take a little longer (system was slow) but payment went through first time (Visa card), and confirmation mail was received in due course.

Was hassle free entry.

Entered. Stoked. Now the anticipation starts!

(Seems like the entries are flying this year, even more so than last year!).

I was in A this year and we caught the group before us in Muizenberg. So bottlenecks will be everywhere. If you are fast enough try to get into the Elite bunch, the only group without traffic.

That was us in the Vets bunch, Breezer, I reckon.

Things got a lil' tense...

just entered my first Argus. Cant believe I've actually entered ...finaly got sick of people asking if I've done the august and me answering no ....

Now you can say 'yes'.

THEN they're gonna ask you "What was your time?"

Guest Omega Man

Now you can say 'yes'.

THEN they're gonna ask you "What was your time?"

I'll just lie and say Sub 3.

I am very hesitant to ask because I know it "puts you out there" by asking, but here goes: what does it take to do a sub 3? How many training hours per week? Other results that can indicate the possibility of success? Starting bunch? I know weather etc. cannot be predicted.