94.7 Cycle Challenge 2013

StevieL

I still can't see how the race organizers reckon Waterfall Estates and the surrounds can handle that amount of people!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree. I think it can handle the numbers. It's a course design issue with the bottlenecks.

Which can't handle the numbers.

Anyone know when/where results for the mtb race will be out?

It is out (provisional). Racetec.co.za Edited by TALUS

... I reckon a lot depends on your start group. It definitely sounds like you are strong enough to manage a 3hr. But riding in a strong group also means picking the right breaks to go with at the right time. I see it all the time where guys are out of the saddle trying to get into breaks off the front on the M1 already only to be caught on the Joe Slovo uphill. Bide your time and stick with a big group in the early parts. If you feel strong on the N14 or after, then you can demonstrate your best breakaway maneuvers.

Thank you, sounds like wise words... I start in "I" at 7h07

Did a 73km mtb ride yesterday...3h37...started 12pm to see how things will go in the heat,,,,got hamerred by the sun and wind, good prep for next sunday I reckon

SO yeah, that's it for me basically as well.

Going for a 35km chilled ride on Wednesday to stretch the legs as they are bummed even today

Hoping for a good race/ride

So my only seeding event, dome to dome, was done in 3:15... Got seed in SS departure for 9:41... Hoping for a sub 3:30, but worried about the traffic! I knon it'll be a bit of a time trial ride but hoping for a good one nevertheless!

don't be surprised if you are suddenly towing me next sunday

PP 9:33

Thank you, sounds like wise words... I start in "I" at 7h07

I also think the split time calculator on the website of the cyclechallenge is good indicator

Did a 73km mtb ride yesterday...3h37...started 12pm to see how things will go in the heat,,,,got hamerred by the sun and wind, good prep for next sunday I reckon

SO yeah, that's it for me basically as well.

Going for a 35km chilled ride on Wednesday to stretch the legs as they are bummed even today

Hoping for a good race/ride

I had this plan until I tried to clear some rocks in a rock garden with my knee, which also turned my brake lever into a shoelace. So I only managed 30 today. Guess it's a biggish ride on Tuesday followed by recovery regime until race day.

So dont - rather stay home

I will thanks ,and will do the road race the following week as I said

I'm coming up from Cape Town and will be looking for some guys to do a ride with on Thursday or Friday morning to help me acclimatize to the altitude before the race. Anybody interested in a 60 - 80km ride around 30km/h average? I'll be in the south but willing to travel a bit if necessary...

Im coming up from port alfred for the cycle challenge...(which has been accepted, that is the challenge of course) haha, lekker vibe up there. cant wait!

Did the MTB this morning. They def tried to make it more technical. Still not a technical race but def step-up from last year. Nic White came 4th (I think) in pink stockings on a S/S and Robyn De Groot came in the top 10. I dont know the winning times so I cannot compare to last year - route was 75% the same. I suffered like a biaaatch for a 2:35ish. A guy fell of one of those retaining wall made of rocks and mesh wire, right behind me - hope he is OK.

If this is the retaining wall close to the Gautrain then I was directly behind him when it happened. He said he was okay, but that was immediately after hitting the rocks on the level below, not sure about any possible injuries.

It is out (provisional). Racetec.co.za

Only got my time chip before the race, don’t see my name yet. Hoping that that “(provisional)” has something to do with it. Please tell me when its final.

Edited by CMK

If this is the retaining wall close to the Gautrain then I was directly behind him when it happened. He said he was okay, but that was immediately after hitting the rocks on the level below, not sure about any possible injuries.

It was that "wall". Hope all ends well.