Cyclist protection system

Wayne Potgieter

Well made telescopic batons are engineering marvels and they need to be hardened to last/be useable. The cheap ones are not something I would rely on in an emergency situation. I want to be surprised though but I cant see it being feasible for the baton to be too great at the asking price.

Edited by Skylark

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know a couple of people we can "test" the baton on!!

Well made telescopic batons are engineering marvels and they need to be hardened to last/be useable. The cheap ones are not something I would rely on in an emergency situation. I want to be surprised though but I cant see it being feasible for the baton to be too great at the asking price.

Sounds like you are pretty well trained in martial arts.

I wonder ...

Edited by Li Mu Bai

Don't recall mentioning that, I have a bit of experience with these telescopic batons though, they are very effective if well made.

I've used both the R1500 jobbies and the R50 jobbies - tell you one thing, both moers proper. The R50 jobbie lasted two beatings, but they were ROYAL beatings. It's not going to fail you if you use it proper .... and unless weight is an issue for you ... oh wait.

Don't recall mentioning that, I have a bit of experience with these telescopic batons though, they are very effective if well made.

I did not think so but wanted to confirm nonetheless .

You say that a cheap ( which this baton is not), I would go for affordable but not cheap fall apart as you take it out if the packaging.

But let me carry on ,you say a cheap baton won't protect a person in an emergency situation.

I don't agree with this, the open hand is more than effective , having a baton and knowing what to do with it is just a little bonus , regardless of price of said item.

At the OP, tell your mate to up the price to R 1 k. That way people can perceive it to be better quality.

You say that a cheap ( which this baton is not), I would go for affordable but not cheap fall apart as you take it out if the packaging.

But let me carry on ,you say a cheap baton won't protect a person in an emergency situation.

I don't agree with this, the open hand is more than effective , having a baton and knowing what to do with it is just a little bonus , regardless of price of said item.

At the OP, tell your mate to up the price to R 1 k. That way people can perceive it to be better quality.

You Shylock.............. you!!!!!!!

I see that this device gets attached to your bike - so - here is my real world experience and opinion - having been stabbed once for a bike and had another attempt where I won the fight.

- if someone knocks you off your bike by surprise while you are moving (and that's a common modus operandi) you will never get to use anything attached to your bike - and there is a real possibility they will use it against you.

So - here is the opinion - you can take one of 2 routes if you are attacked:

a - Fight back with any means at your disposal, and take your chances on losing everything, including your life

b - Preserve your live, hand everything over and run away - fast as you can go...

If you chose route a - then keep your weapon of choice WITH YOU at all times -

If you choose route b - maybe having a weapon is not a good idea...

I don't really have an opinion on which is the right way to go, but there are 3 things you MUST do first :

1 - Consider your family first..

2 - Choose a route and plan what you are going to do BEFORE you need to, not during an action...

3 - Be AWARE - so watch your surroundings and be alert to the possibilities of what might happen - and that's the key difference between my 2 incidents - the first I was in lala land having a casual ride on my own on a nice warm sunny Monday afternoon... the second I was alert and aware - and saw him coming...

My advice.

Everyone needs to get involved in some form of self protection in this day and age.

Also don't be fooled to think that two months of courses will do the job.

Once you are equipped and have the mental ability to "read" situations a bit better, the next step is to keep practicing.

Also don't try and be a hero, in any situation, even if a man is well trained the emphasis will be on getting away, and getting the hell out of Dodge.

I see it so often, a guy who is pretty good fighter gets surrounded, disables one guy and then goes mad from there, the minute two or more guys bounce on top of you, from there even the biggest heroes become a punching bag.

In any situation, never be a hero, look for the first point of escape.

Thehub ninja has spoken.

All us lessor mortals can use batons. But ja these telescopic batons can't be made cheaply, the engineering needed to make them satisfactorily is unavoidably expensive. Affordable is relative though, my life is worth more than R500, if the price was doubled to R1000 and the baton was good it would be excellent value for money. The OP if he would like can elaborate on the quality of the baton, maybe the make , is it hardened and tempered etc

Thehub ninja has spoken.

All us lessor mortals can use batons. But ja these telescopic batons can't be made cheaply, the engineering needed to make them satisfactorily is unavoidably expensive. Affordable is relative though, my life is worth more than R500, if the price was doubled to R1000 and the baton was good it would be excellent value for money. The OP if he would like can elaborate on the quality of the baton, maybe the make , is it hardened and tempered etc

You strike me as one of those heroes that will get bliksemed really hard.

How is this solving any problems? Is this changing the criminals' minds about crime?

Its a good initiative, but if it is not raising any awareness or PREVENTING crime it is making the problem worse.

If this nice piece of equipment is turned on its owner I foresee problems. Further to this, if you retaliate against a possible hijacking, you have something coming your way...

Sorry Wayne, not bashing you, just sharing my thoughts...

Its just a bit easier when you have moved his mind from inside his kop to the outside using a boton :ph34r: