Price of service for suspension

ivr32

Hi Guys

I got a fox 32 suspension fork which needs to be serviced.

I got a quote for R700 including labour and normal spares used.

Is this the going rate??

Cheers

Ian

Guest Omega Man

Hi Guys

Is this the going rate??

Cheers

Ian

Ja. Not far off. I paid R900 for my 40 to be serviced

Hi Guys

Is this the going rate??

Cheers

Ian

yep,the new retail on seals and dust wipers is roughly R400 alone

Guest Omega Man

I am going to end up bankrupt with this sport

Yup. It's best just to surrender to it. It's the struggle that hurts.

Edited by Omega Man

Eish! the sport is becoming silly. I think that there has to be a point at which the market will no longer tolerate the excessive greed.

Eish! the sport is becoming silly. I think that there has to be a point at which the market will no longer tolerate the excessive greed.

Funny enough, I feel the opposite. The sport is very accessible. WHen I started riding 13 years back I paid the same for items that I am paying now....

eg.

Tioga handlebar - R350

Tioga stem - R400

and could go on with a few other things.

Nukeproof handlebar: R227 - CRC

Hussefelt stem: R350 - CRC

My point is if you dont splash out on expensive parts, it is a very reasonably priced sport

We charge R 750, so you're in the right ballpark. Way cheaper than the R4k odd for new stanchions and bushings if you leave it for too long though... particularly important with Fox forks, I've seen some battered looking stanchion coatings come through the shop.

Funny enough, I feel the opposite. The sport is very accessible. WHen I started riding 13 years back I paid the same for items that I am paying now....

eg.

Tioga handlebar - R350

Tioga stem - R400

and could go on with a few other things.

Nukeproof handlebar: R227 - CRC

Hussefelt stem: R350 - CRC

My point is if you dont splash out on expensive parts, it is a very reasonably priced sport

How's your maths bru?

That's 11 years! :ph34r:

I am going to end up bankrupt with this sport

<latenightrant>

You don't have to ride with a suspension fork - my first three MTBs were fully rigid (1989-1992) and one of my current bikes is too.

Your other option is to learn to service it yourself.

It's a complex piece of kit that needs regular maintenance to keep it working properly. R700 is a bargain given the time and skill required to do that job well. You should love your bike enough to give it that.

I wish that somehow good bike shop mechanics could have access to half the PR of a typical bike brand. It would be so cool if the bling thing to do was to get your fork serviced with a wrench-superstar (like Shane (Bowmans) or Lance (Epic)) instead of buying the latest shiny new part.

Consumerism has killed the art of maintenance - we'd rather buy a new one than fix or even just maintain the old one it seems.

</latenightrant>

To keep the running cost down I generally just do a "lube service" on the fork to keep it smooth R200, and then recommend replacing the dust wipers when there is excessive fluid loss or leaking from them. It is fairly common for them to a little wet ring but it should not be wet and running down the lower legs.

To keep the running cost down I generally just do a "lube service" on the fork to keep it smooth R200, and then recommend replacing the dust wipers when there is excessive fluid loss or leaking from them. It is fairly common for them to have a little wet ring but it should not be wet and running down the lower legs.

Buy a hardtail with an oil fork. Mine worked fine for years. Didn't even know you needed to service it. I then bought a fancy dual sus with air suspension and then the money started to roll out a bit.

Edit: Openmind beat me to it. I thought of it first, but I am slower at typing.

Edited by Just Keep Pedaling

Buy a hardtail with an oil fork. Mine worked fine for years. Didn't even know you needed to service it. I then bought a fancy dual sus with air suspension and then the money started to roll out a bit.

Edit: Openmind beat me to it. I thought of it first, but I am slower at typing.

Coil forks still need as much maintenance, otherwise your stanchion coating will get eaten. Made that mistake when I started riding. The air spring is probably the lowest maintenance item on a fork - dust wipers, lube oil and damper oil are the killers. in that order.