1.73m tall - buying large bike? (any advice would be appreciated)

YSbeginner

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am 1.73m and ride a medium MTB and 54cm (Medium) road bike.

There is no way that a large bike will fit me.

Don't do it.

I am 1.76 and ride a medium or 54cm road bike.

My hardtail is a medium with a 59cm top tube and my fs is a large with a 59cm tt.Both have 100mm stems.

Depends on the make of the frame and measurements.

Hi

Just wanted to know what the downsides are to getting a bigger bike than i should. i know that at my height a small or medium bike would be a good fit. I'm a beginner and i can get a good deal on a second hand large framed bike.

Just wanted general comments on using the wrong size bike, possibly from past experience.

Road or mtb?

What bike is it?

What bike is it?

Same height as me. I'm pretty comfy on a medium, but according to a bike shops measurement I can fit on a large as well. It's not just overall height, but arm, leg and torso dimensions as well. And different manufacurers have different measurements for the same size bike. Best would be to hop on the bike and feel if it's comfortable. Standover height might be an issue, but only when getting on the bike. If it's not too much bigger than what would be ideal for you, you could probably just put on a shorter stem.

Exactly what I would have said. Each manufacturer has it's own sizing chart and geo. I'm 182cm and riding a Large Anthem X29 with a 100mm stem. Its literally a fit between your body dimensions/geometry and the geometry of the bike. Some guys will opt to go larger and some will say smaller is better. There are so many things to consider.

I'm 1.73m and currently ride a medium (17") Momsen with a -17deg stem. Am going to change to a smaller frame to get the correct TT length.

I am 1.73m and ride a medium MTB and 54cm (Medium) road bike.

There is no way that a large bike will fit me.

Don't do it.

Same height here and same size bikes

Best bet would be to take the bike for a spin I'd say. Recently bought a small bike for my and she was on the edge of medium/small, test ride sorted that out.

WTF ? Did you even read the guys post ? You make no sense what so ever.... 173cm on a 19" ?

Sorry, probably meant a 17", forgot the mtb sizes a bit, or should I rather say, between a small and medium.

DO NOT!!!!!

I'm about the same height. I ride a medium MTB and i tried out my buddies Large MTB...

It just feels wrong! Will be uncomfortable and you will lose confidence riding it. You can't get the right body position on a bike too big.

I'm 1.74 and when I started riding again after many years. I got a large frame for the same reason it was cheaper (I was an idiot and didn't know about the hub yet) It wasn't even an entry level bike. But ffs I could hardly get on the thing, nearly put me off riding altogether. A year and a half ago I got a better bike in a medium and oh my hat what a differance, the control the chuckability the lack of embarresment when trying to get on a bike that is clearly to big ..etc etc ..funny thing is I still have this nagging feeling I should have got a small hmmm. So in a nutshell no don't get a large just because its cheaper.

Look every bike needs to be sized up, but one thing I am sure off is that you won't be riding any Large bikes any time soon. Size a medium, it will most probably fit. So, only buy the Large if you want your spine to grow an extra 2 inches

Edited by wynandvdmerwe

Well it looks like general consensus is to stay away from a large:). Thanks for the advice, i'll keep looking. While we here, any views on small vs medium frame for my height?

Just for interest the large bike was a GT Avalanche 3.0 ( heard its a good entry level bike).

Well it looks like general consensus is to stay away from a large:). Thanks for the advice, i'll keep looking. While we here, any views on small vs medium frame for my height?

Just for interest the large bike was a GT Avalanche 3.0 ( heard its a good entry level bike).

I would go for the small..... But others will tell you not to. Go test ride a few bikes and see...

You will be lucky to get everything 100% right from the get go but over time experimenting with bar width, stem length, crank length etc you will find a fit that suits you perfectly.

Good luck!