2 Broken DS frames in under a year...

Mojoman

Thanks, the bike was originally a RT5700 that was being sold at a special price, after that one broke Ghost couldnt match the same colour swingarm so they upgraded me to a new RT7500 frame. It wasnt a particularly light bike (was around 14kg with all the crap on it) but I think they are built for fancy smooth european grassfed bike trails rather than our way of just gunning across the veld to see where you can go but at the end of the day I would have expected a broken frame along the way but not 2 in less than a year! Going to have a look at some 'old' model Anthems and Trances, when I say old they are 26-ers.....!

From what I have read the maestro suspension design is worldclass...very efficient while pedaling but soaks up the hits when it needs to.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I have read the maestro suspension design is worldclass...very efficient while pedaling but soaks up the hits when it needs to.

I hope so, the Ghost had the Horst suspension and I felt it gave quite a nice ride but then again it was my first DS so I cant compare it to anything. But the Ghost could climb rocky uphills quite well without the rear end spinning out and doing its own thing, and that was with the standard Xfusion shock.

I was also considering a 2011 Trance (26er) I can get at a reasonable price but it seems the Anthem would be a better all rounder bike for me as I like riding trails but also enjoy packing some sarmies and heading off down dirt roads all day (my poppie is studying so its a great excuse to get out of the house and onto the bike!)

I hope so, the Ghost had the Horst suspension and I felt it gave quite a nice ride but then again it was my first DS so I cant compare it to anything. But the Ghost could climb rocky uphills quite well without the rear end spinning out and doing its own thing, and that was with the standard Xfusion shock.

I was also considering a 2011 Trance (26er) I can get at a reasonable price but it seems the Anthem would be a better all rounder bike for me as I like riding trails but also enjoy packing some sarmies and heading off down dirt roads all day (my poppie is studying so its a great excuse to get out of the house and onto the bike!)

Trance. All day all night and she'll treat you well when the going gets tough. Burlier bike, more forgiving and a better ride. Even for All day on the saddle.

Trance. All day all night and she'll treat you well when the going gets tough. Burlier bike, more forgiving and a better ride. Even for All day on the saddle.

I believe you!!

Got this 2011 X1 with XT parts and wheels:

post-12678-0-39546900-1378301203_thumb.jpg

Eish mojoman...tough luck man. I have broken two frames before(one silverback, one trek) and to be honest I think its really just the nature of the beast...mtb'ing. We buy frames made out of fakolaminium, unobtainium and tupperware and ride the crap out of them expecting them to last. I constantly fall into the same trap the whole time cause we always want lighter and faster. What if we took a step back, bought stuff that weighs a bit more, but made out of materials that are meant to last and make PEACE with the fact that the bike won't weigh 10-11kg anymore but rather 13-14kg.

I am just throwing it out there since you are buying a new bike now so be smart about it. Hope you find an awesome bike :thumbup:

get a Scott Spark! Twinloc system is amazing and you wont break the frame!!!

I wanted one last year before I bought the Ghost but I was put off with the DT Swiss rear shock, also check your warranty, I think they only offer a 3 year plan if you service the bike yourself or 5 years if you pay the LBS to do it.

What is Covered?

This warranty covers defects in materials and workmanship at the time of transfer of risks in frames, swingarms and forks (provided it is a fork of SCOTT) on SCOTT branded bikes sold completely assembled by SCOTT or an authorized SCOTT dealer (“Product”).

How Long Does Coverage Last?

This voluntary manufacturer’s warranty is limited to five years for frames and swingarms, respectively two years for forks, from the date of purchase of the Product and is limited to the first purchaser of the Product. Transfer of the Product from the first purchaser to another person terminates this limited warranty.

The limited warranty of five years for the frames and swingarms shall only be granted in case once a year a maintenance service has been effected according to maintenance requirements as set forth in the manual. The effected annual maintenance service shall be confirmed by stamp and signature. In case such an annual maintenance service has not been effected the warranty of five years for the frame shall be reduced to three years. Costs for maintenance and service have to be borne by the owner of the Product.

Congrats! Touch wood I have never broken a frame, despite hammering a Raleigh RDS (jumps, drops and few hard crashes for 8 years) These days there is no excuse for bike co's to build a cracking frame - materials are sorted, so barring a bad batch of tubing, poor finishing off - eg heat treatment gone wrong there should be no problems unless the design is bad and the frame is stressed or underbuilt at that point...