Best cycling insurance

GhostSixFour

I did send iCycle a mail, but no response so far, where as all the rest have gotten back to me. MiWay lost out due their admin fees being higher than the premium..

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did send iCycle a mail, but no response so far, where as all the rest have gotten back to me. MiWay lost out due their admin fees being higher than the premium..

Yip, Miway's admin fees are very high and the consultant gave me some serious attitude when I asked him to email me all the documents so I can have a look at it before I commit to Miway and in the end he did not email me the documents, so Miway is not really an option for me............

*rant on*

Virgin Money South Africa #fail. Sold my car last week. Without a vehicle or household insurance on the policy, I am unable to insure my mountain bike. seriously...?

Me: "But my bike is a vehicle".

Virgin: "No, it's not".

me: "Yes it is".

Virgin: "No it's not".

Me: "ok". (hangs up)

You learn something new every day. A bicycle is not a vehicle. Don't believe the dictionary.

bi·cy·cle

/ˈbīsikəl/

Noun

A vehicle composed of two wheels held in a frame one behind the other, propelled by pedals and steered with handlebars attached to the...

I wonder if Virgin realises that there's probably a fair percentage of their clients that own bicycles worth more than the cars and motorbikes they cover.

*rant over*

Well any one that don't think a bicycle is a vehicle....should go visit belguim.... (i wont insure with them then) thanks for the info!

On that point ...they should encourage you to use a bike anyway... and if i was SARS i would even give you a tax deduction for that !

Edited by Rider3000

Strange, I got given the option to waive all admin fee's once I confirmed that once my car was insured I would move my household contents over.

No admins fees for me hey.. although that may have been a special on at the time..

Santam all the way. No fine print, no limitations, no ***, lowest premiums I have found.

Do not, repeat, do not use Outsurance.

Enough said

Please let me know about your Outsurance experience as I have my bikes insured and specified under all risks with them.

Well any one that don't think a bicycle is a vehicle....should go visit belguim.... (i wont insure with them then) thanks for the info!

On that point ...they should encourage you to use a bike anyway... and if i was SARS i would even give you a tax deduction for that !

See Mr. Taxman, give us a rebate for our cycling.

So guys this is where we stand so far:

MiWay - Out

Virgin - Out

Outsurance - Out

Icycle - Mixed So Far (with Claim pending Completion)

Indew - In (Apparently pretty damn good, cheap and their service is fast.)

Santam - In (Apparently No fine print, no limitations, no ***, lowest premiums )

pedalcycle insurance/ pedalsure - no verdict yet

cyclesure - No Verdict yet

Good time for a bike insurance company to come in and do some marketing wouldn't one think.

Edited by ScottC-M

See Mr. Taxman, give us a rebate for our cycling.

So guys this is where we stand so far:

MiWay - Out

Virgin - Out

Outsurance - Out

Icycle - Mixed So Far (with Claim pending Completion)

Indew - In (Apparently pretty damn good, cheap and their service is fast.)

Santam - In (Apparently No fine print, no limitations, no ***, lowest premiums )

pedalcycle insurance/ pedalsure - no verdict yet

cyclesure - No Verdict yet

Good time for a bike insurance company to come in and do some marketing wouldn't one think.

Had a quick and professional response from cyclesure, premium was the same as Miway

*rant on*

Virgin Money South Africa #fail. Sold my car last week. Without a vehicle or household insurance on the policy, I am unable to insure my mountain bike. seriously...?

Me: "But my bike is a vehicle".

Virgin: "No, it's not".

me: "Yes it is".

Virgin: "No it's not".

Me: "ok". (hangs up)

You learn something new every day. A bicycle is not a vehicle. Don't believe the dictionary.

bi·cy·cle

/ˈbīsikəl/

Noun

A vehicle composed of two wheels held in a frame one behind the other, propelled by pedals and steered with handlebars attached to the...

I wonder if Virgin realises that there's probably a fair percentage of their clients that own bicycles worth more than the cars and motorbikes they cover.

*rant over*

I had the exact opposite with Momentum, they insured my bike as a motorbike and so I had to pay for third party insurance...

Conversation went something like this...

Momentum: You have to take third party insurance for a motorbike on this policy

Me: But it's not a motorbike, it's a bicycle

Momentum: No it's a motorbike

Me: Well I don't want to insure a motorbike, I want to insure a bicycle

Momentum: Well you still need to take third party insurance

Me: That's so that if I crash into someone on the street their medical bills will be covered right?

Momentum: Yes

Me: Well I don't think I would ever be able to cause 1 million rand in damages with a bicycle

Momentum: <Silence>

Me: Nevermind... <Hang up>

Edited by Redbaobab

I have been with Cyclesure for years now and haven't had any problems. They always respond immediately to my emails, never turned down a claim.

I have been with Cyclesure for years now and haven't had any problems. They always respond immediately to my emails, never turned down a claim.

Have you had to claim before?

so i have a claim that is being submitted to cyclesure for theft of item at a race... will get back to you guys.

Please keep us informed as our options for a good bike insurance seems to be getting limited

Also in the market for bicycle insurance. So far i-cycle is a no go. Phone no on site doesnt work and no reply to emails. Cyclesure and Santam's response was very good however. Will keep you posted.

That is who my house + contents are insured through. However, they won't cover bikes in transit or at races. So they didn't crack the nod. Have a filled out application ready to bomb off to pedalcycle insurance. They broker though pedalsure it seems, but their service was good.

I've got my bike as a specified item on my Santam policy. Covered for everything mentioned so far (transport, garage, races, on-car damage etc). It does have to be locked if unattened - but I've yet to see a policy that says it doesn't.

Have had one claim when the derailuer was damaged on a flight - claimed and payed in within 2 days.

Edited by Dubber