Mamba rears its head - Tokai

DJR

Guest Omega Man

Hey all.

Just a heads up. There's a load of latertite being delivered today and from tomorrow Bennet will be working on the Vasbyt trail. So please treat that area with caution.

And please remember the build day on Saturday. If you can make it that will be grand. We'll be working on the DH3 trail.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey all.

Just a heads up. There's a load of latertite being delivered today and from tomorrow Bennet will be working on the Vasbyt trail. So please treat that area with caution.

And please remember the build day on Saturday. If you can make it that will be grand. We'll be working on the DH3 trail.

:clap: :clap: :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap: :clap:

"Is it possible/ practical to have two lines down the Mamba rock gardens?" Something gnarly is still planned for the Mamba slope.. Mamba's Bite still needs to be constructed and will run through the now really rocky area accessed from the top 3rd of Mamba to rejoin in the lower 3rd again. It will carry a black grading..

If you had come to a build day you would've known.. tee hee.

post-13110-0-69486900-1398772948_thumb.png

Hey all.

9am in the carpark?

Omega: is there a program for Bennett on what is going to be working on. Obviously the young man + team is starting on Vasbyt...what are the plans and/or dates there after, what trails will he be hitting next etc...

Also what news of the revised EMP? When does this come into play allowing the cutting of new trails?

Shot! :thumbup:

Guest Omega Man

Omega: is there a program for Bennett on what is going to be working on. Obviously the young man + team is starting on Vasbyt...what are the plans and/or dates there after, what trails will he be hitting next etc...

Also what news of the revised EMP? When does this come into play allowing the cutting of new trails?

Shot! :thumbup:

Hey man.

He's going to be working on Vasbyt for 6 days. There's lots of loving that needs to happen on that trail. It's a pretty high traffic trail as I'm sure you are aware. Bennet's brief is maximum impact. The highest volume of traffic on the hill is Vasbyt and the Snake Trails so the Snake trails will most likely be next. (I'm possibly speaking out of turn here)

He has been contracted to work 3 days a month with his team of 10.

It's my understanding that the DH trail will continue to be maintained by the downhillers under the guidance of Vince and Deon. They are a pretty cohesive group and seem happy to maintain it themselves.

Deon has secured budget from PPA for laterite. The first load was supposed to be delivered ahead of Bennets arrival. There was an admin hash so the laterite wasn't delivered on time so we've pushed Bennet out to next week. We're going to have to make effective use of that laterite cos it's not a bottomless budget by any means. We are also going to have to find another source of material that Sanparks approves of and will work for trail building and is cheap.

Not an easy task.

We aren't allowed to excavate at the quarry cos that's earmarked for rehabilitation. We can't dig holes next to the trails. Sanparks for obvious reasons don't want seeds coming in from other locations. We can't use that recycled building material despite it being used by Sanparks on Karbonkelberg. Lining entire trails with rocks will be ridiculously labor intensive and I doubt riders want to ride a 2km rock garden. Although in certain areas for shoring up corners and the like it's probably good.

The EMP is still scheduled to come out this year.

I don't want to talk about the cutting of new trails. I'm sorry. There will be something coming out soon. Please bear with us. We are busy with something. Once that is complete (soon) it will be presented to you guys. I know that's a bit vague and I apologize but if I showed you a map of proposed trails and Sanparks comes back and says No I'll be burned at the stake.

*Disclaimer. I'm not a professional trail builder.

Edited by Omega Man

Guest Omega Man

Guys there is a build day tomorrow.

I'm expecting it to be small with the long weekend and the DH race taking place in Paarl on Sunday but please come along and swing your tool of choice if you can.

9 am in the parking lot.

Cheers.

Duane.

Guest Omega Man

I can't make it (again) as my wiffie has a shoot. Can't really ask the couple to postpone their wedding. And it's a morning /early afternoon wedding...

Wahahaha.

Well you could but you would end up bleeding and on the floor.

Hey man.

He's going to be working on Vasbyt for 6 days. There's lots of loving that needs to happen on that trail. It's a pretty high traffic trail as I'm sure you are aware. Bennet's brief is maximum impact. The highest volume of traffic on the hill is Vasbyt and the Snake Trails so the Snake trails will most likely be next. (I'm possibly speaking out of turn here)

He has been contracted to work 3 days a month with his team of 10.

It's my understanding that the DH trail will continue to be maintained by the downhillers under the guidance of Vince and Deon. They are a pretty cohesive group and seem happy to maintain it themselves.

Deon has secured budget from PPA for laterite. The first load was supposed to be delivered ahead of Bennets arrival. There was an admin hash so the laterite wasn't delivered on time so we've pushed Bennet out to next week. We're going to have to make effective use of that laterite cos it's not a bottomless budget by any means. We are also going to have to find another source of material that Sanparks approves of and will work for trail building and is cheap.

Not an easy task.

We aren't allowed to excavate at the quarry cos that's earmarked for rehabilitation. We can't dig holes next to the trails. Sanparks for obvious reasons don't want seeds coming in from other locations. We can't use that recycled building material despite it being used by Sanparks on Karbonkelberg. Lining entire trails with rocks will be ridiculously labor intensive and I doubt riders want to ride a 2km rock garden. Although in certain areas for shoring up corners and the like it's probably good.

The EMP is still scheduled to come out this year.

I don't want to talk about the cutting of new trails. I'm sorry. There will be something coming out soon. Please bear with us. We are busy with something. Once that is complete (soon) it will be presented to you guys. I know that's a bit vague and I apologize but if I showed you a map of proposed trails and Sanparks comes back and says No I'll be burned at the stake.

*Disclaimer. I'm not a professional trail builder.

Thanks for the feedback

Guys there is a build day tomorrow.

I'm expecting it to be small with the long weekend and the DH race taking place in Paarl on Sunday but please come along and swing your tool of choice if you can.

9 am in the parking lot.

Cheers.

Duane.

Will try to be there

I can't make it (again) as my wiffie has a shoot. Can't really ask the couple to postpone their wedding. And it's a morning /early afternoon wedding...

You need to find out if he rides Tokai, he may understand.. actually on second though don't, it could be him found bleeding on the floor! :lol:

Guest Omega Man

Just a heads up guys.

I've been hearing rumors of people being bust for riding illegally in Cecilia forest, the glen and for various other infractions such as swimming in certain dams on TM. I chatted to one of the guys that got bust riding Cecilia last week at Jonkers.

Edit. It was a night ride which I think is illegal there or they were on illegal trails.

The rumor goes that not only do you get a R500 fine but by paying the admission of guilt fine you become the recipient of a criminal record. They apparently use the same legislation that they use to prosecute rhino poachers for this stuff.

With a criminal record you will not get a visa to anywhere in Europe or New Zealand. So that dream trip to Queenstown or the Alps disappears in an instant.

I can't confirm the rumors but that's a chance that is just not worth taking for me. The illegals at Tokai and illegal building probably fall into the same pot.

You have been warned.

*Disclaimer. Yes i agree with you that it's ridiculous that people get mugged on the lower slopes and cars get broken into in the parking lot and yet they focus on us "law abiding" tax paying citizens. But that's an argument for another day.

Edited by Omega Man