Stripped pedal thread SLX Crank Arm

durbanjacques

A friend of mine sent me a picture of his stripped crank arm this morning, not pretty on a two week old bike. Does anyone know of a shop in Joburg where he can get a helicoil put in? From the bit of research I have done it needs a special type of helicoil. His only other alternative it to try and get a new left arm but that seems like a long shot.

IMG-20130908-WA0000.jpg

Edited by durbanjacques

A friend of mine sent me a picture of his stripped crank arm this morning, not pretty on a two week old bike. Does anyone know of a shop in Joburg where he can get a helicoil put in? From the bit of research I have done it needs a special type of helicoil. His only other alternative it to try and get a new left arm but that seems like a long shot.

Call Camper on 011 793 4410 - he can do it for you - what he will charge I don't know.

Thanks V12man I will pass on his details. I hope he can get it sorted before next weekend's trailseeker, otherwise a hard race is going to be even harder with only one pedal :eek:

Good to know that he can always just order one arm if required.

That's the type of thing I take on. Bring. Chop chop, quick, quick cheap cheap.

Thanks Johan :clap: , I tried sending you a PM but it didn't go through. Please send me your email address so that I can arrange with you. jacques at ispace.co.za

EDIT:

Scratch that I got it off your website. :thumbup:

Edited by durbanjacques

someone needs a k@kking out for what happened - did the shop overtighten the pedal or make it too loose and it then messed the thread up when it worked its way out?

mate of mine did that a few months ago - brand new bike, and put the L pedal on the right crank and vice versa. Wish I'd known you did it Johan.

someone needs a k@kking out for what happened - did the shop overtighten the pedal or make it too loose and it then messed the thread up when it worked its way out?

This usually happens when the pedal is installed with the thread not lining up properly (cross threaded), and a bit of force is used.......

mate of mine did that a few months ago - brand new bike, and put the L pedal on the right crank and vice versa. Wish I'd known you did it Johan.

With enough force you can break your finger of in your ear, I suppose. I don't know how a left hand thread can be forced into an opposite threaded hole. I mean....the thing won't take. It just won't start? How the hell do they do that? This is the second time I hear this.

Overtightening I can comprehend but the other scenario, no.

With enough force you can break your finger of in your ear, I suppose. I don't know how a left hand thread can be forced into an opposite threaded hole. I mean....the thing won't take. It just won't start? How the hell do they do that? This is the second time I hear this.

With a bike shop anything is possible

lol. he did it. pedal stripped off along the train lines just before moses cafe @ van gaalens. Long walk back.

Heard that saying before, only it was in Afrikaans and wasn't an ear. But I've seen pedals installed backwards too, so it definitely is possible.

In this case, undertightening is also a possibility. Bending moment and rotation strip the threads and the pedal falls out. Game over.

I've also lost a crank to pedal strike, but that was at 40 km/h and I noticed it immediately by the fact that I was lying on my face in the bushes - I'm assuming this isn't the case here.

I am sure it was a case of over tightening. Lets just say I bought the same bike on the same day from the same shop and I had to take my bike back to get the 505s removed. I then put new pedals on myself with an allen key and not a spanner inside a pipe which is clearly what they used...