Why I'll only ever buy GARMIN

Jigghead

Similar experience. I had a faulty strap from my Edge 305. My fault as I never dried it properly after washing it. Moisture got into the battery compartment and corroded the contacts. I took it apart and cleaned it but still had issues. Took it in to Avnic in Mt Edgecombe and Gift (Yes that was his real name) had a look at it. Reckons it was faulty and handed me a new strap with a new battery. I didn't even buy it here. It came from the USA with a mate!

My next unit will be a Garmin for sure :thumbup:

Peter And Gift are both top guys have sorted me out more than once, its just a pitty Garmin SA decided to close the office over there and apparently also CPT.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter And Gift are both top guys have sorted me out more than once, its just a pitty Garmin SA decided to close the office over there and apparently also CPT.

I heard that they had close the Mt Edgecombe one. Mt Edge 305 is still going strong except for the wear on the power button (Small hole in the rubber) other than that, no problems at all.

Plus one from my side too.

the HR strap used with my Edge 800 started overreading significantly.

I changed the battery and updated software and problem persisted.

Took it to the guys in Honeydew and they swopped the strap out for a demo model, no charge

Edited by WR 1.0

I heard that they had close the Mt Edgecombe one. Mt Edge 305 is still going strong except for the wear on the power button (Small hole in the rubber) other than that, no problems at all.

yes that is true, there is a whole list of units that garmin no longer supports and the closing of the mt edgecomb and cpt branches is because of Garmin Sa's new business model-unfortunately for you and i (also have a edge 305) this falls outside of their new model.so wont be supported no more...I might be wrong but i kind of heard it straight out of the horses mouth.

Wouldn't know how Polar's after sale service compares to Garmin because in 12 years I haven't had a single problem with my polar devices.

So you have never replaced a single bettery in 12 years and sat without a unit for a week?

So you have never replaced a single bettery in 12 years and sat without a unit for a week?

I replace watch batteries myself (first the S725x and after that RS800CX) and the S series speed sensor battery was very easy to replace. Have not replaced the W.I.N.D. speed sensor batteries yet.

Me and my wife both have Edge 510 units, both have issues, and Garmin are not ones that return a phone call easily. My last round with them for sure. My question is what to buy next? Go SRM Power meter route with all the CycleOps gadgets?

Advise?

Me and my wife both have Edge 510 units, both have issues, and Garmin are not ones that return a phone call easily. My last round with them for sure. My question is what to buy next? Go SRM Power meter route with all the CycleOps gadgets?

Advise?

What are the issues?

Advise?

On the 510, the ANT+ stuff is still a bit wonky.

The HR measurement stops mid ride.

Saterday the unit lost my Quarq as well. Garmin forums show this is a known issue though.....

Seems you have to DISABLE the Bluetooth if you are not using it and disable ALL ANT+ devices that you don't use (In my case the speed/cadence was "enabled")

Started working again. Now to see if it can stay that way.

Don't go SRM.

Unless you like to replace a battery every 3-6 months. In Germany. R2k a pop.

I replace watch batteries myself (first the S725x and after that RS800CX) and the S series speed sensor battery was very easy to replace. Have not replaced the W.I.N.D. speed sensor batteries yet.

Easy on the W.I.N.D.

It tends to break easily......Tried it once....

Advise?

I have a Bryton 40 to trade you for the 510... :ph34r:

• 1 month later...

Garmin Premium HR straps... eish. I was on my fourth one (they'd last less than 4 months each) when I tweeted about it in exasperation when the folks at Totalsports wanted to "send it to Garmin for repairs".

They VERY quickly reacted and we started corresponding by e-mail. I got the new Premium 2 HR strap for free.

Well, let's see if it lasts longer.

I've owned a lot of Garmins through the years, mainly automotive units for 4x4ing and adventure biking and know that their after-sales service is generally quite good. That can't be said for all vendors, though.