Why I'll only ever buy GARMIN

Jigghead

didn't read the posts after the first one cause i'm feeling lazy... but i can not agree more. Garmin service has been fantastic for me. I've had 3 issues with a forerunner and each time they have checked it out and replaced it and even with another model after the 3rd time. Brillant service, will only buy garmin in the future...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Garmin will be my next purchase. The Polar I have is a piece of cr@p as a HRM, although it's a bit better as a bike computer for speed, distance, cadence etc.....Bottom line is I won't be visiting a Polar store any time soon!!

• 3 weeks later...

Don't get me wrong, I love my garmins (I have a Forerunner 405 as well as Edge 500), however....

I'm onto my 3rd "broken" Forerunner 405... and 2nd Edge.

The edge "clip mechanism" on the back of the device broke... after reading and investigation on www it seams to be a common problem. Although Garmin's service is great.... I had to fork out R1200 for a new unit (for a known problem) :thumbdown:

My first forerunner's battery packed up in 3 months... didn't hold charge. Got it replaced for free (under warrantee). 2nd forerunner had the same problem, but just outside warrentee period... cost... R1,200 for getting a new one.... now this one is doing the same and guess what... outside of warrentee period... costs, another R1, 200 for... guess what... replacing something with a known problem. Read on battery problems with Forerunner 405 on www and you get pages and pages... tried all the tips & tricks and it only works for a while...

So, the question is: why do you stick to something that's obviously flawed? Good question; all my years of information is on garmin's site, the tracking is great, the forerunner & edge are awesome devices!!! If ONLY garmin is willing to replace for free when it's a KNOWN problem I'll be punting garmin ALL THE WAY!!!

Hi, the quarter turn clip mechanism edges broke off yesterday when my Edge 500 popped out of one of those generic extendable holders.. (that will teach me!). I phoned the Jhb office and they won't give me an indication of how much to fix (even if I send them a photo). Did they replace yours for R1200 or was that the cost of replacing the back of the unit?

thanks.

My less than 6 month old Forerunner 910xt fogs up. According to Garmin it is normal.

I do not swim so it is mostly used for a bit of running a cycling.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x309/AhRO_bucket/20130929_094118_zps2d0d23f5.jpg

Below: What gamin has to say.

09/26/2013

It is often assumed that water resistant devices do not have humidity in them, though this is often not the case. Garmin, like many companies, creates devices with a level of humidity that is most conducive to manufacturing and overall device performance. As a result, all electronic devices, not just devices made by Garmin, can experience temporary condensation, moisture or fogging inside the device when you transition to an environment with a significantly different temperature. To decrease the chances of this occurring with your device, make the transition in temperature as gradual as possible.

If condensation occurs, move to a warmer environment to promote evaporation.

If the moisture does not go away, there are dried water spots on the inside of the glass or there are visible puddles of water (more than beads of condensation) visible in the device it is possible the seals that provide water resistance have failed.

Being mindful of the signs of water ingress and the signs of natural condensation will help you determine if the device may need to be repaired.

Hi, the quarter turn clip mechanism edges broke off yesterday when my Edge 500 popped out of one of those generic extendable holders.. (that will teach me!). I phoned the Jhb office and they won't give me an indication of how much to fix (even if I send them a photo). Did they replace yours for R1200 or was that the cost of replacing the back of the unit?

thanks.

Hi

I also phoned them and at first they didn't want to give me a price indication, but I told them I'm not driving all te way from PTA to Jhb for them to tell me it's going to cost R2,500 - then I just buy a new one over the internet for the same price. So thye gave me an indication of between R1,200 and R1,500 (I think); based on the condition of the device. I then took it in and they asked R1,200 for a new one. They don't fix it/replace the backplate. They basically give you a new unit at a discounted price. Good luck!!

• 1 month later...

Garmin service sucks

after having my watch for 14 months the starp broke , when phonng and asking how much it would cost to replace the starp they tell me that i need to purchase a new watch, never had this problem with Polar and as far as i am aware you can by straps through Suunto too.

WILL NEVER BUY A #GARMIN AGAIN

Garmin service sucks

after having my watch for 14 months the starp broke , when phonng and asking how much it would cost to replace the starp they tell me that i need to purchase a new watch, never had this problem with Polar and as far as i am aware you can by straps through Suunto too.

WILL NEVER BUY A #GARMIN AGAIN

A starp? I know you can buy new straps, I did just the other day, not sure about the starp tho... :devil:

my dad went yesterday to get his garmin repaired, they said they would replace it with an edge 800 with a bit of a payin, he went all the way from Pretoria to their repair centre in Jhb and they didn't have stock, they phoned him later in the day and said they now had stock, he went back all the way today and when he got there, they didn't have any stock again...

this is very poor service and a waste of time, he will have to go back for a 3rd trip when they eventually get stock!!

its 120 km for a round trip to their repair centre X 3

Bryton! Worse piece of junk under sun and don't even talk about the poor service from the local agent! My word...absolutely shocking! The rear mounting bracket failed and the head unit went for a skip. I sent the head unit in to have the case replaced and was told that the warranty was void due to "abuse"....anyway, swallowed a bitter pill and moved on. I vowed to never again support the Bryton brand...

Garmin, Yeah'Ness! I purchased the Edge 800 and I have been happy ever since. I have a sticky stop/start button which I hope will be sorted after 94.7.

To be honest I'm a Suunto fan, never had a Garmin though. Have 4 Suuntos in the house and never any issues. I've replace the housing on the one, more of a facelift form all the scratches and never had issues with the suppliers. I guess as it is on amy brand its who you get behind the counter that day and whats wrong with the device.

Just got another edge 500 for the wife....superb device. Will only use garmin.

Edited by rouxtjie

hi

i have been using a garmin 705 for almost 5 years, without any issues. yesterday it did not wanna switch on and after connecting it to the charger the screen froze and the buttons did not work. i left it through the night, switched on this morning and it responded. i will see what it does during the week. does the internal battery have a certain life span and what is the life span of such a device.

cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd post in this topic:

I've always been a Garmin fan, but my last experience has turned me.

My tabs on the back of my Edge 500 broke this weekend.

A quick Google search revealed this is a common problem, with hundreds of reports of the same thing.

Off I go to the tech centre today; they want me to pay in R1250 for a new unit.

I feel this is ridiculous - this is not a misuse issue, this is a known problem with the units.

At best it could have been a product recall, at worst a straight swap for a new unit.

When my Fizik saddle broke, I contacted Fizik, who agreed it was a manufacturing fault, and they promptly sent me a replacement, no cost to me (all the way from Italy)

I don't feel this is a warranty issue, and even if my unit is out of warranty, they should do a straight swap.

Pretty disappointed...