Better quality Hubs?

Neg

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Best bang for buck as a complete wheelset is the Mavic Crossride - R2895 online.

http://www.evobikes.co.za/wheels/wheelsets-mtb/mavic-crossride-disc-29-wheel-set.html

Otherwise look at a custom build set. We can build a FRM/Novatec combo with pillar spokes for +/-R4500 - weight will be about 1650g, and weight limit 110kgs.

And NO Novatec are NOT cheap only... Unless Spez Roval Hubs are deemed cheap as an example...

My 2 cents. Source the rims and hubs that you want online. Let your wheelbuilder measure them and supply (or at least specify) the spokes and nipples. A spoke 1mm to long or short on a light 29er leads to a substandard wheel. I won't build with spokes that I am not 100% happy with because I guarentee my workmanship and the spokes.

I've left about 5 messages for him in the past about other related bike questions. But he never returns my calls... i even wanted to buy a set of XT V- breaks from him...

Any way.... Anyone else you can recommend?

He doesn't sell breaks. He also doesn't answer questions asking about wheel weight.

He doesn't sell breaks. He also doesn't answer questions asking about wheel weight.

And he doesn't recommend Al nipples!

But he does do good spokes, and them lovely black brass nipples :)

I am sure he will build your wheels if you want to source the bits here & there.

Edited by kosmonooit

Says the man who said he had a set of XT (parallelogram) V brakes and should i want them he'd sell them to me. Trail also went quiet when you gave my front wheel away (when i brought bike in for a service) said you would recover it.. it's been two years now...... OOPS.... :blush:

But this thread is NOT about that.... carry on... :mellow: :mellow:

Hey Neg, don't know where you're situated, but sounds like Jhb. I don't have a whole bunch of experience, but speak to Tim at Solomons in woodmead. That guy knows his stuff when it comes to wheels, and because he's at solomons, his prices are pretty darn good. Service is amazing, the guy pretty much sorted my entire insurance claim and did so much work without expecting a return - of course some beers are on their way to him!

But really knows his stuff and a really nice guy to deal with. Follows up with you, not the other way around, and doesn't look to screw you.

Recently bought an arch ex ,X9 wheelset brand new on the hub for R3000. I have another set with crest rims and X9 .X9 not as good as my hope set ,but not bad either .Hope is still the best value

so besides the bling colours.........what makes SUperstar or Hope hubs for that matter better value than the SRAM X9's?

:lol:

XT are also very good but not as blingy.

I'd save up till you have the money for a good set of hubs.They will last for many many years.

XT or XTR would get my vote. Can't beat cup and cone bearings. Alternatively DT Swiss or Chris King but then you need to raise the budget bar higher

so besides the bling colours.........what makes SUperstar or Hope hubs for that matter better value than the SRAM X9's?

Good Question.....

Good Question.....

Cheaper, for one (I think). Secondly the bearings are fully replaceable. And yes, I know the bearings are replaceable on the xt / xtr hubs but only if the cup and cone are in good condition. With the hope/superstar hubs the whole bearing assembly is replaceable

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem

I am currently getting a ZTR Flow EX wheelset build with XT hubs. I have read a lot of threads on wheelsets before and the hopes and Chris Kings are always getting great reviews. I was considering the hopes but thanks to reading up some more decided they were too noisy for me. Just something to consider with whatever hubs you go for.

ok cool, that does make life much easier! and spares etc are easy and cheap to get for the Hope/Superstar hubs? having imported the Superstars... hope im sure is available?

Im looking at the MAVIC set that Naas suggested, way do they guys say the hubs need more TLC than other hubs??

I am currently getting a ZTR Flow EX wheelset build with XT hubs. I have read a lot of threads on wheelsets before and the hopes and Chris Kings are always getting great reviews. I was considering the hopes but thanks to reading up some more decided they were too noisy for me. Just something to consider with whatever hubs you go for.

Eish... i forgot about that aspect.... the hubs need to be silent.... i really do not like that loud crrrrrrrrrrr every time i freewheel...... :(