First Enduro/AM bike

Nicko

What do you guys think in terms of building up the frame? I should be able to do a decent build for around 10-12k maybe? Using some new, some second hand parts?

easily do-able with patience, and not to finicky about parts. my build was round R10k (Without new Lyrik and Hope M4's)

What I did was buy a Dirt jump bike (usually insanely cheap), and replace the frame with full sus frame. My build was from giant STP to intense.

From this (R3400)

post-28006-0-30506300-1379604793_thumb.jpg

To this (R3400 +R4500 frame - R900 (selling STP frame) = R7000

post-28006-0-20838100-1379604830_thumb.jpg

What I ride at the moment (R7000 + R5500 (Hopes) + R3800 (Lyrik) = R16300)

post-28006-0-70225200-1379604937_thumb.jpg

Edited by braailegend

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I said local, I meant primarily for the parts side. International places (crc/Jenson USA/probikeshop etc) are generally more expensive now thanks to theZAR

Yeah I've noticed that lately, I guess that means that prices are going to go up in a month or two locally when our stores start ordering new stock.

Wicked frame btw. And yes. Mix of new and 2nd hand. I generally prefer the stuff like bars stem saddle and seatpost to be new. Rest doesn't matter

Yeah spec wise I'd probably go for:

I'd probably buy a full new SLX drivetrain, they're not too badly priced, and should be pretty durable. I'm very hesistant to buy drivetrain second hand, as I've just had to put a new crankset, cassette and chain on the specialized (I've only had it 4 months), and the brakes are giving me hassles.

Wheels I'd definitely go second hand, 26er wheels are pretty cheap to pick up I think.

Fork second hand

Bars, stem, seatpost, pedals etc are not a concern.

I should be able to kit out the bike pretty decently for around 10k-12k??

easily do-able with patience, and not to finicky about parts. my build was round R10k (Without new Lyrik and Hope M4's)

What I did was buy a Dirt jump bike (usually insanely cheap), and replace the frame with full sus frame. My build was from giant STP to intense.

Great idea, can't believe I never thought of it yet. I'll try pick up a well specced 26er for around 10k, and then just sell off the frame.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

When I said local, I meant primarily for the parts side. International places (crc/Jenson USA/probikeshop etc) are generally more expensive now thanks to theZAR

this only applies to items available here as well. The point with shopping overseas is the opportunity to significantly expand your choices.

Alright so here's the plan... Lemme know what you guys think, and any advice or changes...

• Frame - 2013 Santa Cruz Blur LT 2.3 (R9400)
  • Fork - 2012 Fox Float 150mm FIT RLC with Kashima (R3000)
  • Wheelset - Could get a free set from my bro (Mavic crossmaxs), or Mavic CrossOne's (R2500)
  • Groupset - Shimano SLX M670 2x10 (R5600)

That puts me at around R20k, seems like a pretty good build? All the other bits and pieces I can mine of other bikes. And sometime when I got some cash I'll look at getting a dropper post.

I did look at trying to find another 26er to mine the parts off, but I couldn't find anything with suitable parts for my build (particularly the fork), and I'm bit more hesitant about the condition of second hand drivetrains at the moment.

One major thing I need some assistance on is a wheelset. Can you guys give me a couple examples of good AM wheelsets.

The Mavic CrossOne's that I priced are quite new to mavic, they're rated on thier website as an AM wheelset and come in at 1885g.

Cheers

Alright so here's the plan... Lemme know what you guys think, and any advice or changes...

• Frame - 2013 Santa Cruz Blur LT 2.3 (R9400)
  • Fork - 2012 Fox Float 150mm FIT RLC with Kashima (R3000)
  • Wheelset - Could get a free set from my bro (Mavic crossmaxs), or Mavic CrossOne's (R2500)
  • Groupset - Shimano SLX M670 2x10 (R5600)

That puts me at around R20k, seems like a pretty good build? All the other bits and pieces I can mine of other bikes. And sometime when I got some cash I'll look at getting a dropper post.

I did look at trying to find another 26er to mine the parts off, but I couldn't find anything with suitable parts for my build (particularly the fork), and I'm bit more hesitant about the condition of second hand drivetrains at the moment.

One major thing I need some assistance on is a wheelset. Can you guys give me a couple examples of good AM wheelsets.

The Mavic CrossOne's that I priced are quite new to mavic, they're rated on thier website as an AM wheelset and come in at 1885g.

Cheers

Looks like a good build, and good price on the fork...

I'd go for the Crossmax for now, and save up for a set of custom made rims like a set of ZTR Flows on Superstar hubs, or something similar. Then you'll have a KILLER ride...

Looks like a good build, and good price on the fork...

I'd go for the Crossmax for now, and save up for a set of custom made rims like a set of ZTR Flows on Superstar hubs, or something similar. Then you'll have a KILLER ride...

Yeah fork sounds like exactly what I want! It is second hand, but it's not too old so I'm sure it should be find.

Yeah well I'll have to twist my bro's arm to hook me up with the crossmax, but he doesn't really ride anymore.

As for wheelset, I'm sure if I'm patient (Frame will only arrive December), I'll find a great set here on the hub? Only thing is it's 142x12 at the rear, and will be 15mm through the front. So would ideally like to buy a wheelset that meets that, without having to buy new hubs and rebuild the wheels.

Yeah fork sounds like exactly what I want! It is second hand, but it's not too old so I'm sure it should be find.

Yeah well I'll have to twist my bro's arm to hook me up with the crossmax, but he doesn't really ride anymore.

As for wheelset, I'm sure if I'm patient (Frame will only arrive December), I'll find a great set here on the hub? Only thing is it's 142x12 at the rear, and will be 15mm through the front. So would ideally like to buy a wheelset that meets that, without having to buy new hubs and rebuild the wheels.

Yeah. Another thing you could do though is tell your bro that you're only going to use them for a while 'cos you're saviing up for a set of your own. Plus the good thing about building your own set is that you get to choose exactly what you want. And if you go for a Hope hub / Superstar hub, you can change it to whatever standard you want - 135mm, 142mm, 20mm through axle, 15mm through axle, 9mm qr etc by just buying a new adapter...

@nicko when do you put your Specialized up for sale then? What size is it?

Hi Brad

Unfortunately probably only in Decemeber or january, otherwise I'm gonna be without a bike...

Hi Brad

Unfortunately probably only in Decemeber or january, otherwise I'm gonna be without a bike...

Ah ok. Will keep a look out.

For wheelsets, I only like one Brand, Spank, love them and they cater for almost any riding style.

http://www.spank-ind.com/

For hubs, most brands are good, I personally like nukeproof generators, but depends how hard you are going to ride

I also like Spank - those wheelsets and rims are beaut - when I upgrade or break my current DT's thats where I will go.