First Enduro/AM bike

Nicko

I also like Spank - those wheelsets and rims are beaut - when I upgrade or break my current DT's thats where I will go.

A bit on the expensive side unfortunately. I like spank, got the oozy bars, they're pretty sweet, light too and didn't pay much for them.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the link, looks pretty good. However, those wheels, I'm seeing very mixed views on them from what I can find on the net. Otherwise slx, and fox front fork would be pretty suitable.

Size is not right for me either, so no chance I'd keep the frame

Edited by Nicko

• 2 weeks later...

Tks guys for the updates.

I see there is a 2008 Specialized Enduro SL Comp for sale for R13k in the classifieds. However, it has allegedly only been ridden twice in 5yrs :ph34r: but doesn't seem like a bad buy, gonna cost about half of what I'm gonna spend. Somehow I'm still inclined to spend double though, haha!!!

Hi Guys

So I only started riding in the beginning of the year, and have done quite a few xc races this year, they've been fun and great. Then I did the "Giba gravity enduro" which i loved 10 times more than any other race I did, and realised that enduro riding is what I wanna do.

So currently I have a Specialized epic 29er, and its great and everything, but for trail riding I must be honest I don't find it very confidence inspiring. I dunno what it is, probably the head tube angle, but it feels twitchy in corners and it just doesn't feel quite right for riding at places like Giba Gorge etc. (even my cheap Titan Comp 29er felt better in this regard).

Anyway so I'm in the market to sell that bike and get something better suited to trail/enduro riding.

So can anyone advise me on what to get for around R20k??? I'll probably get around that for my Specialized.

I've been looking this week at the the Santa Cruz Blur LT 2.3. I can get the frame brand new for 900$, and won't have to worry about import duties or VAT etc cause I have a friend coming over from the States soon who can bring it for me.

Here some links on the spec of the frame, and reviews etc.

http://www.bicycling...update?page=0,0

http://www.santacruz...feb10_LT2_O.pdf

http://www.santacruz...s.co.uk/blurlt/

http://www.santacruz...urlt/blurlt.pdf

http://www.bikeradar...e-only-09-36977

So here's my thinking it's a 26er, which means I should be able to pick up wheels and a fork for pretty cheap (in comparison to 650b or 29er).

And should be able to complete the bike for around 20k hopefully.

Is it worth it getting a 26er? I see all the new AM/Enduro bikes are going 650b/27.5 (whatever you wanna call it).

Would love to get a Santa Cruz Heckler 27.5 full build, which is 3000$, a bit pricey though.

Sorry bit of a long post, but I'm new to the enduro/am game and my knowledge is limited.

Any advice/comments would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Nick

YAY We have a Convert!!! .... Glad it was our event at Giba that made your mind up!!!

The next event is on the 27th at Cascades!!! Check out the entries on ROAG.

with regards to a bike

I still ride a 26er and its awesome - if you want to do long races and try and compete - keep the 29er, but if you looking for fun - hit a 26

That Santa Cruz will be awesome

i personally ride a 6inch travel GT Force and id say that is probably the best amount of travel for trail/enduro/all mtn riding.

Ok so here is an update on my build, nothing purchased yet, but pretty close to buying everything!!!

Frame: 2013 Santa Cruz Blur LT 2.3 140mm

post-41965-0-97384000-1379596637_thumb.jpg

Front Fork: 2012 Fox Float 32 FIT RLC 150mm with Kashima

post-41965-0-01149100-1380622316_thumb.jpg

Wheels Front & Rear:

Mavic EN521 Black Rims

Hope Pro 2 Evo Hubs (blue)

AC S/S DB Spokes

Can get same wheels with ZTR flow hoops for 20 pounds less, however stuck with black hubs, and will have upgrade rear hub to 142x12.

(Is it worth going for DT Swiss competition spokes? Will cost an extra R500, and then I can get spokes in black too) :cursing:

Groupset : 2014 SLX 2x10

Headset: Hope Pick n' Mix (only one I can find that fits)

Other than this...

Need to find a stem. Looking at around 60mm, wanna try find something in blue to match the hubs. Looking at this one, just waiting to find out if anyone has stock of 60mm. I think the 45mm will be too short

post-41965-0-93786700-1380622488_thumb.jpg

Already got Spank Oozy Bars

post-41965-0-40235700-1380622620_thumb.jpg

Otherwise any advice on seatpost? Don't have money for a dropper at this point...

Then will need to organize some tyres

Anybody got any advice on the above?

Should be awesome machine

Gonna come in at around 25k with all new parts besides the fork...

I'm not sure if I should cut some costs, wheelset is coming in at R4700. So I could save close to 2k if I went for mavic crossrides or something

Also just make sure that the frame is compatible with the tapered steerer tube of the Forks.

Seen a couple of okes make that mistake - and its a costly mistake

Also just make sure that the frame is compatible with the tapered steerer tube of the Forks.

Seen a couple of okes make that mistake - and its a costly mistake

Yeah it's a tapered headtube on the frame, the fully built bike kit actually comes with a pretty similar fork.