Mast and Dogs

flymango

Lead, no lead legal or not ,anyone taking a dog in Tokai is an idiot.I remember on a cycle there many years ago comming across a young lady taking her young staffie for a walk without a lead in Tokai.

They came across the baboon troop there, which with a young enthusiastic dog ended up with him almost torn to shreds.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lead, no lead legal or not ,anyone taking a dog in Tokai is an idiot.I remember on a cycle there many years ago comming across a young lady taking her young staffie for a walk without a lead in Tokai.

They came across the baboon troop there, which with a young enthusiastic dog ended up with him almost torn to shreds.

That is true, but IIRC the baboons don't head that high up. Which is why you can take dogs to Silvermine.

I live in Hout Bay directly over the saddle on the way to the mast and there hasn't been any sighting of baboons that side.

• 1 month later...

Coming from a dog-walker, horse-rider and mountain-biker.

Dogs are allowed in Silvermine off the lead.

Would this debate be going on if the 'dogs and ladies' were a Telskum bakkie?

My guess is, NOT!

As someone said before on this tread, ride as fast as you can see and stop safely.

Live and let live and ride respectfully and what is wrong with going a little slower anyway.

My guess is, NOT!

As someone said before on this tread, ride as fast as you can see and stop safely.

Live and let live and ride respectfully and what is wrong with going a little slower anyway.

Not according to the signs there.

My guess is, NOT!

Several issues.

1. Tokai is a no dog area

2. Baboons eat dogs

3. Unsuspecting cyclists do not expect dogs in Tokai, refer point 1

4. Telkom mast access is via Telkom serviced jeeptrack, vehicles on this road is expected.

This statement is as true as a horse being allowed on any single track in the Table Mountain National Park, whether for walking or cycling.

Yesterday whilst descending from the mast we almost had an altercation with a group of ladies (think there were 4 ladies), each with two (or more) dogs that were not on a leash, walking up the tar road. There were four of us descending and we had to take fairly hard action coming round one of the bends to avoid animals and ladies scattering. "Where are your bells?". they shouted. We apologised profusely, and then also suggested that their dogs should be on leashes.

Apart from being civil and treating follow hikers and walkers with respect, what are the written or unwritten rules about right of way about descending (at speed) and dogs?

Golden Rule: If you hit a dog at speed whilst riding a bicycle... you will fall.

Guest Omega Man

When we lived in Glencairn there was a local troop of baboons and they would from time to time tear dogs apart. We had small dogs and the baboons would routinely run across our garden not too fussed by the dogs. I suppose they didn't see the little dogs as a threat.

I can't for the life of me understand why dog walkers would take their dogs to Tokai. Maybe they would LIKE to see their dog being torn to shreds by Baboons.

http://www.sanparks....dog-walking.pdf

Oh and btw baboons do not eat dogs

Tell the baboon that. Most recent case it's tooth was so far under the poor dog's scalp above the eye, that when it turned to attack the human, it's body moved but mouth stayed fixed to the dog's head. Eventually ripped the skin open.. actually only reason the human is fine is because of the dog's tough skin..

no, they just kill them...

I have known dogs to kill baboons in Scarborough and Kom

That is why the baboons will attack a dog

There is no law against taking your dogs in areas with baboons

Our ridgebacks have always come with us into the mountains and not been killed by baboons

Your knowledge of baboons seems limited

Edited by Kranswurm

There is no law against taking your dogs in areas with baboons

Our ridgebacks have always come with us into the mountains and not been killed by baboons

*Keep reading*

No law against it, except where the law states you may not.

*Keep reading*

No law against it, except where the law states you may not.

Correct

See my post below

You lot are not the custodians of Table Mountain National Park

And I have known Baboons to kill dogs

If there is a perceived threat on either the dog's or baboon's side them they are likely to attack

Why risk it?

As does yours sir