Berg and Bush 2013

Ratty

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its better than Sani2C IMO so don't think you will be disappointed.

I'm glad to hear, i was a little disappointed with S2c this year compared to last year. Not the ride, but the riders that rode. I can't wait for Day 1, i was super excited about it from when they introduced it a few years back and some say the best day on the saddle in SA!!

So, who all on the hub is doing the Berg and Bush this year? Which event are you doing?

I'm back for the 2nd time. Last year did the Great Trek, this year doing the Descent (dates worked better, I actually would have preferred to be in the more chilled event).

3 WEEKS TO GO !!!!!

I'll be at the Great Trek....as you say the Descent's dates would have worked out better as this one is costing me a week's worth of leave when you include travel time etc. What are you guys doing in terms of logistics Ratty? We're flying to Durban and then renting an Avis car...gonna be tight in there.

I'll be at the Great Trek....as you say the Descent's dates would have worked out better as this one is costing me a week's worth of leave when you include travel time etc. What are you guys doing in terms of logistics Ratty? We're flying to Durban and then renting an Avis car...gonna be tight in there.

We rented a car in the "hatch back" class last year as its easier to get bike boxes into a hatch with the seats down. Got there and they told me they had "kindly" upgraded my car. Some fancy saloon car, but we couldn't get the boxes in. Told them I wanted a hatch like I had ordered. They didn't have ANY left !!!!! Eventually managed to get us a Hyndai I20 (one class below what I paid for) which was an extremely tight fit. Had to move both drivers seats forward so not too comfortable, but we made it.

This year will be our last so we decided to do it in comfort and have got the IX35 category.

Sadly we were too late to get accommodation in Drakensville so staying at a place called Little Switzerland which is a bit closer to the start.

If you hiring a car, remember you need a copy of the additional drivers license if you are using the shuttle service.

I'm glad to hear, i was a little disappointed with S2c this year compared to last year. Not the ride, but the riders that rode. I can't wait for Day 1, i was super excited about it from when they introduced it a few years back and some say the best day on the saddle in SA!!

See that's the difference between Sani and B&B, its not just about the one day. Day 1 is amazing with the views etc, Day 2, you have the boat crossing, Spionkop and the 16km singletrack descent and Day 3 is just loads of fun with lots slightly more technical singletrack (its not manicured).

I actually can't decide which day I like the most.

Oh and the waterpoints are beyond excellent. Last year they had a competition for the best waterpoint and the community took it very seriously. Will never forgot the Jacobs coffee at the last waterpoint on Day 1 (it was windy, cold and we were tired, coffee has never tasted so good).

back for my 4th (or is it 5th) 2day. Cant beat that event - its not a race just a cruize with great mates, great beer, and epic singletrack.

Looking forward to chasing the Film Crew chopper off Spionkop again!

Did you watch SS yesterday...lots of new added stuff

Not convinced about that tunnel over the river. What do you think?

HI

As a first timer, what are the best options for accomodation on the first night.

Will have car with me, so thinking about just camping at ATKV.

Will also be there. Some suggestions on celebrating a 40th birthday of a fellow B&B cycling comrade while doing the event (not mine, I am long gone past 40).

A BIIIIGGG PARTY WOULD BE NICE!!

Edited by BarHugger

HI

As a first timer, what are the best options for accomodation on the first night.

Will have car with me, so thinking about just camping at ATKV.

Also left this one a bit late. There's nothing available for the descent closer than winterton or harrismith, so I'm planning on camping at the ATKV or even at the start if they'll let me.