Berg and Bush 2013

Ratty

I saw my buddy's Garmin

He started at 7.40 and it shows for about three hours in some parts it was 38C to 43C. I was shocked to see this. He told me it was his worst day on a bike. Should the race not be called off?

I told that over 100 did not finish the first day and day two was reduced to 38km due to the heat and a bit of wind. I also told that there 60 suffering from heat stock.

Is this fun a MTB ing ? Can any one shed light on this.

My suggestion , first group start at the crack of dawn, making the middle and and back groups rinding at a reasonable time of day.

I say HTFU!! :ph34r: cycling is not for sissies...

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw my buddy's Garmin

He started at 7.40 and it shows for about three hours in some parts it was 38C to 43C. I was shocked to see this. He told me it was his worst day on a bike. Should the race not be called off?

I told that over 100 did not finish the first day and day two was reduced to 38km due to the heat and a bit of wind. I also told that there 60 suffering from heat stock.

Is this fun a MTB ing ? Can any one shed light on this.

My suggestion , first group start at the crack of dawn, making the middle and and back groups rinding at a reasonable time of day.

You also have to consider the organisational effort involved in getting the first group off. e.g. on day 2 and 3 the helpers are getting up at 4am to have breakfast on the table by 5. And that's with a 6:30 start. So your suggestion is that the first batch goes without breakfast, or the helpers get up at 3am?

And anyway if you're out on the track from 8 - 4 or 7 - 3 does it really make that much difference?

The people I feel for are the marshalls standing out on the track holding a flag, often without sufficient water themselves, for 10 hours in the searing heat (42 degrees on day one at 11am according to my garmin).

I think the answer is to have sensible cutoffs. For the 87km first stage which is really quite fast and not that much climbing (winning time just over 3 hours). I think that's what they're doing for the Joberg2c next year, with 15km/h average speed cutoff guidelines. The longest time on day 1 was just over 9 hours and there were quite a few at the 8 hours plus, which is starting to take the piss really. Understandable if you have mechanicals, but they can't all be that.

As for the second day, it was shortened because of the wind, which would have made the boat crossing difficult. So they had to reroute, and that involved shortening it to 38km. I knew the wind was coming from a week ago, and I know from kiting at sterkfontein that on big wind days the wind comes up at any time. I personally think that was a bit of a fail on the part of the organisers for not anticipating this and lining up a plan B. That said it was still a awesome day's riding and I think a relief for most to have a short day in that heat. Credit to them for not chucking us down a dirt road for another 20kms to make up the distance.

The heat was pretty oppressive, but the water in the tugela river was quite cold and very refreshing. It was the only way I could find to cool down. Overall a great event with some unbelievable singletrack riding, and a really nice chilled friendly vibe.

Ag everybody should just keep there pants dry! The organisers can also only do that much. If you don't train or hydrate yourself properly, deal with it. It was a great race and I think Gary did very good in changing the route on day 2 because of the wind. It was tough and I will be back for more punishment next year...

it was an excellent race...well organised as ever. Day 1 was the most amazing run...much better than last years. Blaming the organisers because you are untrained/unprepared is not on..

Agree mike

what happened on day 3 for you...see you have a dnf?

Edited by rouxtjie

Agree mike

what happened on day 3 for you...see you have a dnf?

my partner was sent to hospital after day 2...

I enjoyed it, awesome race, good food, lekker water-points, great singletrack, awesome technical downhills, breathtaking views and a nice chilled friendly vibe!

Great & appropriate picture, this was the toughest part of day 1 for me :)

post-11586-0-61806300-1381729883_thumb.jpg

From the Berg & Bush facebook page © kelvintrautman|nikon|lexar

Edited by d@vid

:eek: demmit....jirre mike, you should really stop killing your partners.

Serious though...hope he is ok :thumbup:

Ya he is fine..came home with us yesterday. laaities of today :ph34r:

Ya he is fine..came home with us yesterday. laaities of today :ph34r:

eish, what is it with you souties and spioenkop he? ;)

PS saw edgarathlete and his girl did flippen well, took overall in the mixed....Well done Stu! :thumbup:

I thought that Sean Henderson & Nic White finishing 6th overall on their single speeds and Tanya Krige & Brian Bontekoning finishing 48 overall on a tandem was impressive.

eish, what is it with you souties and spioenkop he? ;)

PS saw edgarathlete and his girl did flippen well, took overall in the mixed....Well done Stu! :thumbup:

This Soutie made it up there no problems...

Ya they had a great ride..very strong