Berg and Bush 2013

Ratty

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

was for me, when I did it last year..I had a smile the entire time.

Stretch - Day 2 was largely SSWC track. This time I did it on full sus, geared bike. Could be why I enjoyed the day so much :)

Haha heard the commentator mentioning your team name at the finish on day 2, and thought "I wonder if that is Ratty from TheHub. We were Team Plumblink, rode in their kit on day 1 & 3 and Berg & Bush kit on day 2

That JoJo tank saved a lot of riders, I think there would have been more DNF's on the day if it hadn't been there. We even saw riders venturing into some of those filthy dams to try the water, that's how desperate it got for some.

i'm sure the old Medhalla sittng on the plastic chair watching all the riders use his water, was not aware of how many asses he saved that day!!

are you the guy who goes to cadence? or is that your partner ? saw you in your plumblink kit after day 3

Awesome, awesome event, enjoyed it much more than last year (got a stomach bug last year which wasn't fun).

Day 1 was absolutely insane, that heat was unbearable, probably one of the hardest days of my life. I lay in the shade at the first water point and got the people there to pour water on me, I nearly passed out. Then at WP2 I was drenching myself for the last slog home.

I was quite relieved when they shortened the distance on Day 2, I was absolutely broken from the heat of the first day and Day 2 was as hot, with massive headwinds which made it difficult in parts.

Yesterday was the highlight for me with perfect weather and well rested legs, we pushed hard and felt strong. The trails on the B&B are so well manicured it's a treat to ride them.

I was riding the black and white Specialized FSR Stumpy 29er, and my partner was on a red Giant anthem 26er, flying down the hills. Glad I wasn't on a hard tail.

I've never seen so many Specialized bikes at an event before, and S-Works too, way too much money being thrown around out there.

I was really shocked to see some okes starting Day 1 with 1 bottle, totally insane. The logic of this baffles me, to try save weight? I smashed my 2.5l camelback before WP1 and was still thirsty.

I was riding the black and white Specialized FSR Stumpy 29er,

<cut>

I've never seen so many Specialized bikes at an event before, and S-Works too, way too much money being thrown around out there.

<cut>

Uhhm, am I missing something obvious here?

Haha heard the commentator mentioning your team name at the finish on day 2, and thought "I wonder if that is Ratty from TheHub. We were Team Plumblink, rode in their kit on day 1 & 3 and Berg & Bush kit on day 2

That JoJo tank saved a lot of riders, I think there would have been more DNF's on the day if it hadn't been there. We even saw riders venturing into some of those filthy dams to try the water, that's how desperate it got for some.

i'm sure the old Medhalla sittng on the plastic chair watching all the riders use his water, was not aware of how many asses he saved that day!!

We were also wearing our B&B shirts on day 2.

I would never think of drinking water from the dams, but they sure helped cool us down. Had to laugh when 2 guys were swimming and a local told them there were snakes in the water. I didn't care, I was too hot and got in anyway.

We also came across a round cement block with a tap on day 2 just after the top of the first climbs. I made full use of that as well.

Awesome, awesome event, enjoyed it much more than last year (got a stomach bug last year which wasn't fun).

Day 1 was absolutely insane, that heat was unbearable, probably one of the hardest days of my life. I lay in the shade at the first water point and got the people there to pour water on me, I nearly passed out. Then at WP2 I was drenching myself for the last slog home.

I was quite relieved when they shortened the distance on Day 2, I was absolutely broken from the heat of the first day and Day 2 was as hot, with massive headwinds which made it difficult in parts.

Yesterday was the highlight for me with perfect weather and well rested legs, we pushed hard and felt strong. The trails on the B&B are so well manicured it's a treat to ride them.

I was riding the black and white Specialized FSR Stumpy 29er, and my partner was on a red Giant anthem 26er, flying down the hills. Glad I wasn't on a hard tail.

I was really shocked to see some okes starting Day 1 with 1 bottle, totally insane. The logic of this baffles me, to try save weight? I smashed my 2.5l camelback before WP1 and was still thirsty.

Hear Hear ,how do you run out of water on Day 2 when all you had to do was ride +- 23km to to the top of spioenkop. FYI it took some guys over 6 hours to to do 40km of which 15km was straight down hill - maybe its time to have quailfying criteria to enter multi day races (just like two oceans and comrades) - I think a lot people were way undertrained !

Uhhm, am I missing something obvious here?

I'm not sure what you are missing. I saw lots of Specialized bikes. There were lots of S-Works bikes (which are very expensive). Not all Specialized bikes fit into the ridiculously expensive category.

I'm not sure what you are missing. I saw lots of Specialized bikes. There were lots of S-Works bikes (which are very expensive). Not all Specialized bikes fit into the ridiculously expensive category.

Oh, no prob, didn't realise the "too much money being thrown around" applies only to the S-works bikes

Oh, no prob, didn't realise the "too much money being thrown around" applies only to the S-works bikes

you can have my s-works....never had so much **** with one bike before..rather stick with a R30k reliable bike which wont cost you an arm and a leg after every ride you do

Having said that, I saw a few beauts who looked like they were sponsored by Specialized but couldn't ride for sht, I reckon their undies even had the big red S on them.

Just a comment about the water - if you are out of water 27km into a race, esp when you know the weather is hot, are you carrying enough water?

27km ?? I ran out at 15km :eek: don't ride with a Camelpak, use 2 750ml bottles with extra sachets of energy drink which from experience is enough to refill and remix at the water points. Even with the heat of the day I thought it would be enough for a 40km stage. :wacko: How wrong I was!!!! we live an learn.

Stretch - Day 2 was largely SSWC track. This time I did it on full sus, geared bike. Could be why I enjoyed the day so much :)

ha ha...a mate's heading off to the great trek now with a pair of hardtails...I reckon puffadder on a hardtail must be quite bumpy

Shew......Listening to all the comments , I am now officially petrified of riding the 2 day.

Shawn, it's not the terrain, length of route or the climbs, It will be the best 2 day ride you will do. But if its hot take enough water in fact take more than you think you will need. I'd rather ride with an extra 2kg of water than go through that heat without water again. The problem is, that your use the water over your head and neck to cool yourself off as well as drink it, so you use a lot more than you would on a normal race.