Berg and Bush 2013

Ratty

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I must say what an awesome event! Just some random comments:

1. Hats off to Gary, Sollie and their sons and the whole team for the well marked trails. It must have been a difficult decision to make 4:00 am Saturday morning to re-route stage 2, but after the wind we experienced it was obviously the right one. One of the local farmers remarked that it was one of the worst days wind wise he had ever experienced in his life. Hendrik, Sollie's young son was already on the trail at 4:30 Saturday morning marking the new stage route.

2. Just because a garmin or polar registers a temperature of 50 C does not mean that is the real temperature. The garmin is in direct sunlight most of the time and will obviously register a higher temperature than a thermometer in full shade at 1.5 m above ground level, the way temperature readings are supposed to be taken. I doubt it if the temperature at Emseni on Saturday was much above 36 C. But it was hot on the trails for sure especially when the wind was from behind on some of the climbs.

3. How about breakfast on Saturday without any protein?? Not even some cheese. Just carbs, carbs and more carbs. Not a balanced meal in my book.

4. I have got pains in places in my legs I have never experienced before, but I pushed myself to the limit trying to keep up with my young partner nearly 30 years my junior and 10 kg lighter.

One of the most enjoyable 3 days of my life!

Garmin registered a lot lower in the camp than on some points on the trail. It had dropped to 39 at the red bull run on day 1.

Ride with a 750ml and 500ml water bottle was more than enough, day 3 l forgot to take them. Water tables were awesome.

Did anyone gather some GPS tracks, GPX format please.u

Regards

Hi Leon,

What would you like them for?

Garmin registered a lot lower in the camp than on some points on the trail. It had dropped to 39 at the red bull run on day 1.

It was not even close to 39 anywhere in the Tugela valley on Friday. There would have been a lot of people treated with heat related symptoms if that was the case. A garmin with its heat sensor underneath a glass enclosure in the direct sunlight will always register a much higher temperature than the actual dry ball temperature taken inside a Stevenson screen. I am not in any way doubting you or the reading from your garmin, it is just that it was not that warm on Friday or even Saturday. Once ambient temperature rises above 37 C everything including things like plastic or even wooden furniture seems warm to the human touch. No way it was that warm on the weekend.

Yes agree, that could stop any time. Sani and Berg and even Joberg2c are for good riders who are very fit and can handel a bike.

The rides / races are made to for real fun and test you skilled and fitness. If you want to prove your man hood then their are other great races, like the Epic and the 2500 km race across Sa and so on. Epic exception to the rule as a int race and heavily booked up.

The top three races are full andSani over booked as people want to have fun more so than boasting rights. Once you get that right its even more fun. They want to see great sceanary, scream down some incredible single track and spin the legs where needed. This is another reason why these race cost plenty to enter , they should be very well organized. Sani is that one type of race.

With no Sms communication to Burg riders a lot did not know about the shorter route and opted not to ride as the first days heat made a great trail, miserably unpleasant due to heat alone. I seen my buddy's graphs from his Garmin - for three hours day one it's was hovering between 39 and 43c. To ride in this heat is stupid. Not fun and fatality wating in side line for the old riders. The army suspends all training past 41C.

What was the number of persons treated for heat stock? I am told some of the water points were running out of water and ice. I sure no one could have predicted such heat, but if the weather man said 40 plus plan ahead.

He told me it was a great race, I plan to do it next year- but he has full right to moan - even if their was more much more right than wrong. This is not a communist state yet and we can all past comment, hopefully the hub remains a free open post. I believe there is room for improvement at Berg judging from what I hear and read. At 4000 a pop things should be better than Veld school. Unless some like living like that..

MTBing is real fun, it must stay that way. It's up to the indivualy to not forget what it's about. Read Bikemag from the Usa should you think its a test of strength , stamina or bravado. If any one boast they done three races and they tough.. They got a lot to toughen up. However if they in top 20 or 50 they can boast as much as they want and comment till the cows come out.

Happy MTB ing.

Yes agree, that could stop any time. Sani and Berg and even Joberg2c are for good riders who are very fit and can handel a bike.

The rides / races are made to for real fun and test you skilled and fitness. If you want to prove your man hood then their are other great races, like the Epic and the 2500 km race across Sa and so on. Epic exception to the rule as a int race and heavily booked up.

The top three races are full andSani over booked as people want to have fun more so than boasting rights. Once you get that right its even more fun. They want to see great sceanary, scream down some incredible single track and spin the legs where needed. This is another reason why these race cost plenty to enter , they should be very well organized. Sani is that one type of race.

With no Sms communication to Burg riders a lot did not know about the shorter route and opted not to ride as the first days heat made a great trail, miserably unpleasant due to heat alone. I seen my buddy's graphs from his Garmin - for three hours day one it's was hovering between 39 and 43c. To ride in this heat is stupid. Not fun and fatality wating in side line for the old riders. The army suspends all training past 41C.

What was the number of persons treated for heat stock? I am told some of the water points were running out of water and ice. I sure no one could have predicted such heat, but if the weather man said 40 plus plan ahead.

He told me it was a great race, I plan to do it next year- but he has full right to moan - even if their was more much more right than wrong. This is not a communist state yet and we can all past comment, hopefully the hub remains a free open post. I believe there is room for improvement at Berg judging from what I hear and read. At 4000 a pop things should be better than Veld school. Unless some like living like that..

MTBing is real fun, it must stay that way. It's up to the indivualy to not forget what it's about. Read Bikemag from the Usa should you think its a test of strength , stamina or bravado. If any one boast they done three races and they tough.. They got a lot to toughen up. However if they in top 20 or 50 they can boast as much as they want and comment till the cows come out.

Happy MTB ing.

No he doesn't....and here is why

• the organizers are not god, they can't control the weather. If it is going to be hot they cannot plan for every individual's needs, the individual is responsible for his own safety and hydration. If its hot, YOU MUST PLAN AHEAD AND YOU MUST TAKE MORE WATER.
  • they have to cater for everyone, from racing snake to weekend warrior, reducing the distance too much will lead to many more complaints.
  • he gets to ride some of the best pvt singletrack that is open once or twice a year and specifically cut for the events. This takes hours of manpower, blood, sweat and tears. He should be appreciative of this fact and leave his sense of entitlement at the door
  • they communicate that it is an extreme endurance event, a certain level of skill and fitness is required, if he underestimated it or the conditions he cannot blame the organizers, he can only blame himself. If he only trained in the cool morning hours whilst he knew that he would be starting later and or ride in the afternoon natal sun he is the one that didn't plan, not the organizers.
  • HE SIGNED UP FOR IT

As you pointed out, this isn't a communist state, we can all have an opinion, my opinion is that yours suck.

Edited by rouxtjie

No he doesn't....and here is why

• the organizers are not god, they can't control the weather
  • they have to cater for everyone, from racing snake to weekend warrior
  • he gets to ride some of the best pvt singletrack that is open once or twice a year
  • they communicate that it is an extreme endurance event, a certain level of skill and fitness is required
  • HE SIGNED UP FOR IT

As you pointed out, this isn't a communist state, we can all have an opinion, my opinion is that yours suck.

+1!

Amen brother.

Reading from Mtblife , he notes no issues with the finess and skill levels of his buds. So why do much advice on water ect. If its unpleasant to the point it's not fun, then let them do as they please. Sanity should prevail.

Reading from Mtblife , he notes no issues with the finess and skill levels of his buds. So why do much advice on water ect. If its unpleasant to the point it's not fun, then let them do as they please. Sanity should prevail.

Well he moans about the heat and the organizers that must plan ahead dodging the fact that riders themselves must plan ahead....whether that be water...sun screen...etc.

But I totally agree if they found the event "unpleasant" I am afraid they will only set themselves up for much more disappointment at other races due the level of entitlement. They should sell their bikes and take up another hobby.

Well he moans about the heat and the organizers that must plan ahead dodging the fact that riders themselves must plan ahead....whether that be water...sun screen...etc.

But I totally agree if they found the event "unpleasant" I am afraid they will only set themselves up for much more disappointment at other races due the level of entitlement. They should sell their bikes and take up another hobby.

I think one thing most people forget, if the heat and conditions are tough on you, it's tough on everyone else.

If they finish and you don't, come back better prepared.

Too many people winging it through an event.

I think one thing most people forget, if the heat and conditions are tough on you, it's tough on everyone else.

If they finish and you don't, come back better prepared.

Too many people winging it through an event.

Presies...exactly :thumbup:

People think its the organizers responsibility to get you through the day/s....because they mos paid their entry so the organizers must jump. Don't need people like that at these events