Narrow Wide Chainring Question

missionS

For everybody with a Type 2 here is a good article showing the inner workings of it. It can cause a difficult to diagnose knocking sound every time the chain grows due to suspension movement and impede your shifting once the tapered bush gets sticky.

When this happens follow these instructions to lubricate the bushing. SRAM says it's self lubricating so they might have used a material such as vesconite for the bush but a bit of grease will help.

Obviously if you have no issues with your type 2 then don't try and fix it. Two of us with dual suspension bikes have had to do this to eliminate a knocking sound so I thought I would share.

http://bicyclingaustralia.com.au/2013/08/sram-type-2-overhaul?page=show

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, yep I actually called the guys at BuyCycle to order the older one which they had advertised a while back. They told me they had some other ones available and I got it at the same price Patches paid :D

Here is a pic:

PS - I'm still running an E Thirteen chain guide with a with a zee derailleur. Might be overkill but at least I have peace of mind!

How much did that all cost you and what does that whole setup weigh?

SRAM didn't figure why anyone would want to switch it off. To remove the wheel you just employ the locking pin and hey presto.

Hence I couldn't understand people turning their shimano clutch's off until Headshot explained.

Adjust the clutch on the RD to just before the point where taking the biggest drop or bump you ride creates chainslap. The stock clutch adjustment does making shifting a bit of a pain but you can dial it off a fair bit and then it's peachy shifting and still no chainslap. Google for instructions on clutch adjustment for your RD

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Tech-Tuesday-Inside-Shimanos-Shadow-Plus-Mech-and-How-To-Adjust-.html

SRAM didn't figure why anyone would want to switch it off. To remove the wheel you just employ the locking pin and hey presto.

Does the XT rd with clutch have that locking pin, only XTR version I think?

Edited by Skylark

Does the XT rd with clutch have that locking pin, only XTR version I think?

All the Shadow Plus derailluers Deore through to XTR all have the ON-OFF switch for the clutch.

I think SRAM has the locking pin

But the locking pin that holds the RD up so you can easily take the wheel in and put is only on the XTR for the shimano Clutch RD?

Got to love these people who go for the new technology and systems and have no idea how to set it up to work properly :ph34r:

Probably the biggest factor to ensuring no dropping and smooth gears is correct chain length.

Niiiice - any other pearls and words of kindness to dispense?

He has a valid point - I mean all of us that have houses and cars know how to build the house and service the car right?

And computers - we all know how to programme like champions and rebuild it when smoke comes out of it right?

Of course we do. We're hubbers!

But the locking pin that holds the RD up so you can easily take the wheel in and put is only on the XTR for the shimano Clutch RD?

I'll have to go and see what you mean. you have a pic by any chance?

Is a valid point ! As it seems to be the new trend and everyone rushing off to buy the necessary parts and expect it to work by just slapping it on the bike... without bothering to research or read up on the correct setup.

As Eldron alluded to, would you service your car with new spark plugs and expect it to run good if you just put them in, or would you first read up on what the spark plug gap should be and adjust the plugs accordingly before putting in the car?

Same should be for the clutch RD, NW chainring and chain length adjusted accoringly to your bike and setup.

There is something to be said for correct chain lenght on any bike, whether 1x10, 2x10 or 3x10

Edited by shaper

I'll have to go and see what you mean. you have a pic by any chance?

Been looking at this pic but can't see the pin you're talking about.

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p4pb7659903/p4pb7659903.jpg

Not sure if it's a pin but locking the RD up was a feature of the XTR clutch RD, doesn't seem to have trickled down to the lesser shimano groupsets

Not sure if it's a pin but locking the RD up was a feature of the XTR clutch RD, doesn't seem to have trickled down to the lesser shimano groupsets

are you talking about this switch>

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p4pb7659901/p4pb7659901.jpg

It's already trickled down - my XT RD has it.

Shadow is the generic name for low profile Shimano RD.

Shadow+ refers to the low profile cammed RD.

Edit: 2013 SLX has a cam.

Edited by Eldron