Narrow Wide Chainring Question

missionS

Just finished fitting my NW. Ditched FD, chain guide, granny gear, and shifter in the process.

Will test it out tomorrow!

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The wolfrings are quite pricey though.

not really around R800-900 and they last longer so a massive benenfit -I love mine

not really around R800-900 and they last longer so a massive benenfit -I love mine

I paid half that for my Race Face... do the wolf tooth ones last twice as long?

And what are you basing that statement on? Material spec? Have you worn out one of each?

Not being funny, genuinely want to know the difference.

Edited by patches

Might seem like a stupid question but how long does a single front ring last. Running one now for a long time and it's still as good as the day I bought it.

I don't see them wearing out that quick at all.

My normal SS rings last ages. I have ridden one for over 3000km and it's still almost like new. I guess with a bit of cross-chaining on a 1x setup the wear will be a bit more, but I reckon you could do 2500-4000km easy on one ring.

Fiddled around last night and got my small ring off no problem, 4 bolts and done. The second and third ring though are bolted on together with a bolt/nutsert type arrangement you loosen using 2 allenkeys.

So if the spider isn't threaded like the small rings section then how do I bolt just the NW chainring?

Does the nutsert/bolt jobbie do the trick?

Fiddled around last night and got my small ring off no problem, 4 bolts and done. The second and third ring though are bolted on together with a bolt/nutsert type arrangement you loosen using 2 allenkeys.

So if the spider isn't threaded like the small rings section then how do I bolt just the NW chainring?

Does the nutsert/bolt jobbie do the trick?

You'll have to either use spacers on the inside of the crank (not between the crank and the chainring, but outside of the chainring so that the chain line remains correct) or get smaller fasteners, or cut your existing set down so that they fit.

To add to the above - you do get SS specific nutsert things from many lbs's. They're shorter and will do the job properly without you having to use spacers (washers) or cut your existing ones down.

You'll have to either use spacers on the inside of the crank (not between the crank and the chainring, but outside of the chainring so that the chain line remains correct) or get smaller fasteners, or cut your existing set down so that they fit.

Okay the spacers are the best option, couple of stainless washers should do it.

The bolts thread section is only maybe 8mm long so no cutting that shorter and I'd like to keep it as is in case I upgrade my crankset later, then I'll have the complete 3 chainring crankset.

Thanks man.

My normal SS rings last ages. I have ridden one for over 3000km and it's still almost like new. I guess with a bit of cross-chaining on a 1x setup the wear will be a bit more, but I reckon you could do 2500-4000km easy on one ring.

joh...there's a big gap between 2500 and 4000km

(it is like me wishing my car tyres will just last 65000km but they just just make 40000km - same ratio :thumbdown: )

(it is like me wishing my car tyres will just last 65000km but they just just make 40000km - same ratio :thumbdown: )

Yeah. But I suppose it all comes down to how you ride and treat the thing.

I'm thinking that 'huge' gap would be relative to how well the drivetrain is maintained and the conditions it is ridden in?