SA Enduro series - race #2

Nofearnofun

VG is the right venue for it.

Unfortunately most "trail builders" up here can't get good flow out of a high pressure hose let alone a trail.

Get the Spruit Fairy involved and there will be flow!

*and I mean THE Spruit Fairy, not every one else who thinks they're a spruit fairy

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

*and I mean THE Spruit Fairy, not every one else who thinks they're a spruit fairy

There is only one true "Fairy". I've ridden things he has built and they really do flow.

Look, I'm not trying to be negative, the thing is, I tend to watch mtb videos on Pinkbike... a lot.

I also follow the EWS and SuperEnduro and went to the Giba Enduro & Karkloof Enduro - I am obsessed with mountain biking :ph34r:

Now from what I watch on videos and read up on I tend to want to have that similar stoke, of which I did, when riding Karkloof & Giba trails. That kind of terrain relates more to me and the kind of riding I want to do. When we see guys riding on these videos etc. doesn't that makes you want to go out and shred!?? Well I certainly do.

I would imagine other places like Jonkershoek, Tokai, Welvanpas to be more like those we see on the videos of overseas, and that is more true to mountain biking for me than farm district roads.

http://www.south-african-hotels.com/media/kololo-game-reserve-mountain-biking.jpg

He will be spoken to.

Look, I'm not trying to be negative, the thing is, I tend to watch mtb videos on Pinkbike... a lot.

I also follow the EWS and SuperEnduro and went to the Giba Enduro & Karkloof Enduro - I am obsessed with mountain biking :ph34r:

Now from what I watch on videos and read up on I tend to want to have that similar stoke, of which I did, when riding Karkloof & Giba trails. That kind of terrain relates more to me and the kind of riding I want to do. When we see guys riding on these videos etc. doesn't that makes you want to go out and shred!?? Well I certainly do.

I would imagine other places like Jonkershoek, Tokai, Welvanpas to be more like those we see on the videos of overseas, and that is more true to mountain biking for me than farm district roads.

http://www.south-african-hotels.com/media/kololo-game-reserve-mountain-biking.jpg

Omg here we go again with you and "True Mountain Biking"

It's what the majority of riders here call anything that isn't double wide dirt roads.

And most riders in JHB shout track over speed bumps in the parking lot.

We really don't have any terrain that could compare :thumbdown: Congrats to Mark Sydney and crew, awesome event, EPIC trails and great atmosphere, I'll definitely be at the next one! Better route taping wouldn't hurt :ph34r:

Ja, I got lost quite a bit. Especially SP5. You and Goose had a good wandering around the forest trying to find the end of SP1. :lol: And I see none of us appear in the timing for stage 1 and subsequently don't feature in the overall results. :(

BUTTTTT. It was really lekker to ride those trails. I just had a huge smile all the way down. Even when my legs were so tired I couldn't stand up in the single track. I forget how many times we pushed to the top (that's nearly the top of the DH course). The steep gradient at the top section was just sublime.

Ja, I got lost quite a bit. Especially SP5. You and Goose had a good wandering around the forest trying to find the end of SP1. :lol: And I see none of us appear in the timing for stage 1 and subsequently don't feature in the overall results. :(

BUTTTTT. It was really lekker to ride those trails. I just had a huge smile all the way down. Even when my legs were so tired I couldn't stand up in the single track. I forget how many times we pushed to the top (that's nearly the top of the DH course). The steep gradient at the top section was just sublime.

Ya, we lost about 10mins on SP1 so Im glad our times didn't show, if I had to complain about something that would be it. So please Syd - better markings next time :thumbup:

Other than that, it was awesome..

Oh, and a shuttle to the top of SP1 would also be nice :whistling:

JOH BRUU!!! those guys are hardcore riding the jeep track on fully rigid!!! usually that is reserved for full suspension 29ers so theyre not just hardcore , theyre pedalling less efficiently too!!!!! !!!!

heheh :w00t: :w00t: :whistling: :whistling: :ph34r:

It's an Enduro fellas, you can't expect the organizers to mark up the trails 100%. Got to keep your eyes up when riding and try to check out the trails during practice.

One issue is the timing. The TrailTag system is awesome, when it works... Pity, it excluded half the field from the final results and excluded 2 of the trails completely :thumbdown: .

Other than that, excellent trails, excellent venue, great weather (luckily) and good times.

It's an Enduro fellas, you can't expect the organizers to mark up the trails 100%. Got to keep your eyes up when riding and try to check out the trails during practice.

One issue is the timing. The TrailTag system is awesome, when it works... Pity, it excluded half the field from the final results and excluded 2 of the trails completely :thumbdown:.

Other than that, excellent trails, excellent venue, great weather (luckily) and good times.

luckily you guys got some timing...for me it is as if I wasnt there :mellow:

Guest Omega Man

luckily you guys got some timing...for me it is as if I wasnt there :mellow:

Oh that's a bit sucky.

The funny thing is a solution is in most of our backpacks. Strava. (sorry for the dirty word) It wouldn't take much for them to write some sort of Race Organizers Interface. Where you give your strava name to the Race organizers on raceday and that gets uploaded to Strava somehow and the segments set up and off we go.

I know Strava is something of a dirty word around these parts but much like the Taxi's on our roads. Great idea with reckless users.

(EVERYBODY BACK OFF!! I'm mailing Strava now to sell the idea to them)

Edited by Omega Man

Oh that's a bit sucky.

The funny thing is a solution is in most of our backpacks. Strava. (sorry for the dirty word) It wouldn't take much for them to write some sort of Race Organizers Interface. Where you give your strava name to the Race organizers on raceday and that gets uploaded to Strava somehow and the segments set up and off we go.

I know Strava is something of a dirty word around these parts but much like the Taxi's on our roads. Great idea with reckless users.

(EVERYBODY BACK OFF!! I'm mailing Strava now to sell the idea to them)

I dont think it is a solution (I am just going to mention a few points why I say so, to lazy to explain each point though):

- It isnt an "on-off system"

- each person's phone work different (time set, version of app and even app compatibility)

- GPS signals aint accurate enough

- it moves the timing responsibility from the organisers to the rider him/herself

- not everyone has a phone that can even run the app

- battery time and extra cost for the rider

- etc........

Guest Omega Man

I dont think it is a solution (I am just going to mention a few points why I say so, to lazy to explain each point though):

- It isnt an "on-off system"

- each person's phone work different (time set, version of app and even app compatibility)

- GPS signals aint accurate enough

- it moves the timing responsibility from the organisers to the rider him/herself

- not everyone has a phone that can even run the app

- battery time and extra cost for the rider

- etc........

True. Guess I'll hold off on the email.

On the trailtag thing. at the Dirtopia festival last year one of the riders got a bit too close to the timing beacon at the start of a stage before he was ready to go and it beeped.

Super funny watching him try to do his helmet up toss a banana and put his sunnies on all in one motion to get going on the stage.

Edited by Omega Man