LBS vs CRC

TriGuru76

It's "sarcasm" but sarchasm is a neat new word. Thanks for that! Illustrates quite perfectly the "chasm" or gap between the intentional sarcastic tone and one's understanding thereof!

My favourite was giraffiti. It's spraypaint on public areas that's really, really high.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok sit down everyone for I have a post that will both amaze and astound you, enlighten and free you. A post of such epic proportions that it will leave you changed forever.

LBS....AND CRC. You can use both.

And NEVER walk into your LBS flapping your gums about how good the service and prices are from CRC ..... because there will come a time......

We can only hope you didnt select the "Express Shipping" option because then some shipments go with DHL and that can get messy (and expensive).

True dat! Last time I make the mistake of doing that, ended up paying quite a few 100 bucks more than I expected.... But even so I would rather opt for CRC in some cases! Some of the component prices here really really brake the bank

Forgive me, Im not trying to swim against the current here but,

You go to LBS. You request an item that you know they do not stock.

You request them to source the item.

You then monitor the service.

When they dont deliver you slate them.

And you import the item anyway.

Are you Isabel Jones or something?

I was very happy and willing to buy from them, but only decided to buy online when i was told that it would take 2 months to get the item.

The bottom line comes down to common practice of service in this country.

Wh bother to write down your details and say "we will call you on Monday" when clearly you have no intention on offer the service you "promote".

I had to do the calling work myself.

Why then slap such big markups on products when you in fact did F all for the profit?

True dat! Last time I make the mistake of doing that, ended up paying quite a few 100 bucks more than I expected.... But even so I would rather opt for CRC in some cases! Some of the component prices here really really brake the bank

As well as the lack of options... I was recently looking for a cheap set of cranks to finish a bike my son and I are building. No LBS had anything to offer in the "entry level" range. I wasn't after SLX or anything else in that bracket. I wanted cheap and cheerful. LBS couldn't help, but CRC could. Crank set and BB for less than the price of a local BB :thumbup:

I wanted a Saris rack from Bicycle Power Trading that they do not import as a standard item. I sent an email and Dave went out of his way to bring the rack in with their next shipment. Awesome company to deal with.

I don't subscribe to this 'oversees is first world idea', South Africans are some of the most pleasant and resourceful people you will find anywhere.

It depends on the LBS.

Thankfully there are some that add value that CRC can't match, eg. give you economical options to get your bike back in working order that you hadn't considered or that will fix your bike when in a pinch (not everyone can re-assemble their bikes like a SEAL 6 member does his fire arm).

/cut/

i called the importers myself.

/ cut/

They also added that they will only have the product at end November in stock.

/cut/

no more support to LBS.

I was very happy and willing to buy from them, but only decided to buy online when i was told that it would take 2 months to get the item.

So, because the importer would only have the item in stock at the end of November, you flame a retailer ?

CRC is great for those unusual purchases which the importers don't bring in reliably, usually because the market for the item is too small to make it a profitable venture.

I use CRC often, but I also use 3 local shops. They are mostly not alternatives, but complimentary. And because I treat the local business with respect, I have not been ripped off nor have I received undue poor service. I also think I have received more free value than the difference in price between CRC and the shops for items commonly available.

Edited by eddy

So, because the importer would only have the item in stock at the end of November, you flame a retailer ?

Dude, your not reading it right. The LBS never even called the importer to check the status of the stock OR call me back to tell me that the importer doesn't have stock. So after several days i called the importer myself.

And based on the lack of service from the LBS (for not even bothering to call the importer) and the importer not having stock for 2 months i resulted in buying from CRC.

Edited by TriGuru76

CWC in capetown has very good service and I'm also turning to CRC due to the fact my LBS don't stock what I want and when I do ask for an item I get told it will take upto 2 weeks for my item to arrive as they don't have money now to order the parts for me and I once wanted a gps from them and after a month of asking for a price so I can e.f.t the money I went and turned to CRC for a garmin edge 810 wonderfull service from an online shop

Dude, your not reading it right.

I read you perfectly

But then indignation is seldom rational nor consistent, Dude.

Triguru I will stick with you're point that our LBS don't care for their loyal customers that spend upto 100 grand per season in their shop

I read you perfectly

But then indignation is seldom rational nor consistent, Dude.

ok dude, if you say so

Triguru I will stick with you're point that our LBS don't care for their loyal customers that spend upto 100 grand per season in their shop

You extrapolate your experience and make it an absolute truth. There are many bike shops in South Africa that go out of their way to care for their loyal customers, even those that don't spend anything like 100k per season.

Find one, build a mutually beneficial relationship and enjoy the benefits.

CWC in capetown has very good service and I'm also turning to CRC due to the fact my LBS don't stock what I want and when I do ask for an item I get told it will take upto 2 weeks for my item to arrive as they don't have money now to order the parts for me and I once wanted a gps from them and after a month of asking for a price so I can e.f.t the money I went and turned to CRC for a garmin edge 810 wonderfull service from an online shop

:thumbup:

I too believe you must support your LBS, I went to a few and the one with the best service I got stuck to. If they cant source what I wan't I just call Janos at Evobikes.