Stupid or not?

PrinceVlad

Hi guys

I started cycling earlier this year basically to get fit and lose weight, but struggled to get any momentum. (Rode about once or twice a week)

I have now decided to take it more seriously and, to motivate myself, I have entered the 94.7.

As from today there is 41 days left and I plan on doing 1 hour four times a week and a bit longer on weekends. (I started last week). I plan to do a shorter race somewhere in between.

My question is: Am I stupid or not for wanting to complete the race?

Should anybody think I am not stupid, what tips do you have and what accessories and/or equipment are non negotiable. For instance are cycling shoes a necessity?

I have a 29er so I also want to know what tyres to fit for the race to lessen the rolling resistance.

Cheers

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you take it slow, you'll make.

Look at Conti's range of 700cc tyres. Something like the Sport Contact.

Maybe fit toeclips without straps?

Edited by Tumbleweed

No not stupid at all, think what you have done is a good way to keep yourself motivate. Now set yourself a goal like a sub 4 hour and push towards it.

Guest Latent Blue

You will be able to finish it...

The question is ate what pace...

You should at least a few times before the race ride a similar distance and see at what pace you can do it...

Plan ahead and set realistic goals...

The plan is to enjoy it... hitting 'the wall' isnt fun

Guest Latent Blue

Also 'practice' with your race foods...

Trying out new gels/fruit/anything on race day will give you cramps/runs/not a fun time

Guest Latent Blue

Also: might seem stupid, but make sure you can quickly change a flat...

make sure you have all the tools

welcome to the HubSA.

not stupid. you will be surprised what your body can do. I entered to race 4years ago and completed the race after doing one 12km training session, and on a road bike that the frame was 10 sizes to small and i had to change to gears on the down tube. I also did it with my running shoes so cleats aren't a necessity, but they are a nice to have. The training you have planned will do you well.

Edited by ScottC-M

Only way I can push myself to train harder is to enter races that are beyond my current fitness levels. Its not stupid, you have given yourself a goal to work towards.

Just remember nutrition. Its important when you do longer rides.

Good Luck!

Also: might seem stupid, but make sure you can quickly change a flat...

make sure you have all the tools

No wonder you are a doctor. F@#ken slim jy

Not stupid at all. If you can ride 2/3 or 3/4 of the distance, you can finish it on the day. Pace yourself at a level where you can still have a conversation with someone and you will get to the finish just fine.

Not stupid. I did a similar training plan to this for last years race and was also very overweight, the only difference is I converted to slicks, you could do the sub four, irrespective - the feeling experienced when you cross that finish is simply amazing. All the best!

No wonder you are a doctor. F@#ken slim jy

Naah, he probably punctured and couldn't fix it himself because the assistant forgot to pack the right tools and there was no nurse to hold onto things for him. ;)