Die Burger Road Race

Mylolylo

I really enjoyed die burger this year. The wind was a bit hectic but I enjoyed the challenge. I thought it was well organised and I will definitely be back.

The only issues I had which were very minor were no goodie bags and no lucky draw!

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So Burger has a beta of 0.98.... mmmm. very strange.

One tonner, 1.61, that makes sense. But the Lagoon Cycle has 1.1, no way the burger had better conditions than langebaan.

If I remember correctly the beta is calculated by looking at the winners time vs his time compared to the winner of the Argus. etc. So if someone had a bad Argus but get stronger and then wins a race, it implies the field was weaker that that in the Argus.

Used to work that way, but I have been away for a while.

Geez, and I thought it was a mistake on Racetec! Well done :thumbup:

nah no mistake, I'm pretty sure he must be a tri-athlete, was on the Hot chillee team that came 3rd Overall at DC although he didn't cross the line with the team as per Race report from Velouria. When he caught us dropped $ guys he just rode right pass but we reeled him in again then he sat with us for a while & went for it on the 2nd time & nobody responded except one of the PnP Development Elite riders. I'm just surpirsed that none of the % guys or ladies went with him, usually Sharon Laws would attempt a break from 20km out & TT to the finish at least that was her modus for 2012.

Started in U group and pitched up late to the start and then didn't realise we started until everyone was on the bike and riding, I expected a start like the argus atleast...lol

Last event I done was in 2010 and with only +-500km of training I pulled a 3:39, bit upset because I could of pushed harder had I been in a bunch but was alone from word go and struggled between the 75km-85km the wind was just too hectic.

nah no mistake, I'm pretty sure he must be a tri-athlete, was on the Hot chillee team that came 3rd Overall at DC although he didn't cross the line with the team as per Race report from Velouria. When he caught us dropped $ guys he just rode right pass but we reeled him in again then he sat with us for a while & went for it on the 2nd time & nobody responded except one of the PnP Development Elite riders. I'm just surpirsed that none of the % guys or ladies went with him, usually Sharon Laws would attempt a break from 20km out & TT to the finish at least that was her modus for 2012.

To finish 5 minutes ahead of a strong bunch is bloody impressive, only speculating but there was a big break-away/attack in % right after Wellington at the 60km mark, maybe the rest of the group burnt too many matches then to bother to respond to a lone rider breaking away a bit later. To sit on his wheel must be hell!

To finish 5 minutes ahead of a strong bunch is bloody impressive, only speculating but there was a big break-away/attack in % right after Wellington at the 60km mark, maybe the rest of the group burnt too many matches then to bother to respond to a lone rider breaking away a bit later. To sit on his wheel must be hell!

I was at the front of % most of the time and did not see him break away! I thought the Racetec results were wrong. I don't know how he managed to slip away undetected?

Edit: I must have missed him.

Edited by Smartie

@captaincraig is a monster... he rides for hotchillee and they came 3rd @ dc the weekend before burger, so its easy to believe

I was at the front of % most of the time and did not see him break away! I thought the Racetec results were wrong. I don't know how he managed to slip away undetected?

Edit: I must have missed him.

its very easy to miss someone going off the front if you are sitting 3rd to 5th wheel in a bunch especially into that head wind on Sunday. By the time I saw Craig go off the 2nd time I was boxed in by the group but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have lasted anyway.

its very easy to miss someone going off the front if you are sitting 3rd to 5th wheel in a bunch especially into that head wind on Sunday. By the time I saw Craig go off the 2nd time I was boxed in by the group but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have lasted anyway.

True. I wonder where he got away from the rest of us in %?

Yes, same thing with Johann Rabie in the Elites. Broke away and by the end most riders in the group didn't even know he was gone. In about 10kms he rode more than two minutes into the group.

If I remember correctly the beta is calculated by looking at the winners time vs his time compared to the winner of the Argus. etc. So if someone had a bad Argus but get stronger and then wins a race, it implies the field was weaker that that in the Argus.

Used to work that way, but I have been away for a while.

The beta is independent from the race time. See the Beta as a difficulty index. I do see this as a 'rabbit in the hat' thumb suck...

The winners' time is usually adjusted to reflect as if an Argus winning individual was to win - which is the case for Die Burger - and therefore the winning time was not adjusted.

Yes, same thing with Johann Rabie in the Elites. Broke away and by the end most riders in the group didn't even know he was gone. In about 10kms he rode more than two minutes into the group.

I heard that was actually team Strategy whereby they strung the bunch out by forming a pace line & he then catapulted off the front. Before anyone knew what was going it was too late :-)

... usually Sharon Laws would attempt a break from 20km out & TT to the finish at least that was her modus for 2012.

She did, actually, but came back pretty quickly in that wind.