Steilte Trails

Guest Omega Man

Guest Omega Man

It's happening. Steilte MTB Trails (The Helderberg trail where we held WP Champs this last weekend) is officially open for business.

• Signage is going in this week
  • An additional DH line will be scoped this week and work commencing in the next week or so
  • The D Train Jump line will be amended so that there will be 4 longer tables as apposed to the 7 short ones that are there currently.
  • We will be putting in a drop zone of 4 drops ranging from small to large. The 5th drop will be the top road gap so you've got something to work up to
  • There will be an annual permit system in place at a cost of R500 per year. A large portion of that money is going straight back into the trails for maintenance, shuttle road maintenance and new trails. (For the record Vince and I were the first 2 members)
  • Some Enduro style lines will be going in as well.
  • There might be a regular shuttle at some point but at this stage it's private shuttles on the designated shuttle route.
  • There is a day rate of R50 for non members but you HAVE to be riding with a member. remember this is private property and trespassing is illegal.
  • A porta loo is going in
  • There's a basic little hut on site that is available for rent. Fancy a riding weekend away with your mates? It is very basic tho but still. looks like fun.
  • Vince is talking about building a Freeride track and having a Mini Rampage event so keep your ears and eyes open on that one.

I'll post up the membership and day pass forms as soon as final approval from the land owners as to the wording has been granted.

A HUGE thanks to the 2 land owners Jan Van Schalkwyk and Philip Obermeyer. Vince for getting the track off the ground and Duran van Eeden who has put in far more work than anyone else in getting the current lines up and running.

post-18968-0-17231800-1381313184_thumb.jpg

Edited by Omega Man

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Omega Man

I spoke to Jan this morning.

Adi Van Der Merwe and Jan are walking a BRAND NEW DH line today. Adi has spent the season racing in Europe and he is wanting a Euro standard track so he's going to make something steep and gnarly that the fast boys can train on for Europe.

We also discussed the money issue and the money we pay is going to be split pretty much evenly 3 ways. 1/3 to Jan and the other land owner each and 1/3 going STRAIGHT back into the trails. At the moment tho to get it all up and running pretty much 100% of the money paid is going into the trails.

There was a collection run among WP downhill members and the money paid by WP Downhill for the land usage for the race and that money is being used for signage and today's JCB rental.

Yes that's right! There's a JCB there today making stuff EVEN MORE prime.

I spoke to Jan this morning.

Adi Van Der Merwe and Jan are walking a BRAND NEW DH line today. Adi has spent the season racing in Europe and he is wanting a Euro standard track so he's going to make something steep and gnarly that the fast boys can train on for Europe.

We also discussed the money issue and the money we pay is going to be split pretty much evenly 3 ways. 1/3 to Jan and the other land owner each and 1/3 going STRAIGHT back into the trails. At the moment tho to get it all up and running pretty much 100% of the money paid is going into the trails.

There was a collection run among WP downhill members and the money paid by WP Downhill for the land usage for the race and that money is being used for signage and today's JCB rental.

Yes that's right! There's a JCB there today making stuff EVEN MORE prime.

So much jealousy

Hi

Qunut here can i ride the track on sunday will there be some to represent as i can see the demand made by the chair to have some member there so can this be met for this sunday we will be about 5 guys riding

Guest Omega Man

Hi

Qunut here can i ride the track on sunday will there be some to represent as i can see the demand made by the chair to have some member there so can this be met for this sunday we will be about 5 guys riding

Hey man. I'm 90% sure Vince is going to be there. Give him a buzz.

Hey man. I'm 90% sure Vince is going to be there. Give him a buzz.

HI ai have a new phone send me his number orwhat's app it to me 0736024801 thanks

So yeah, went riding there today with the guys this morning. The rain and sticky-as-glue mud should have told me it was maybe a day better spent eating popcorn in front of the tv.

The track really is awesome. Really nice and techy up high and then it gets really ast on the jump line.

I ended up cancelling myself on one of the gaps (10 months of mtb'ing makes an expert not) so I unfortunately had to bail.

Can't wait to hit that spot dry and dusty. Will then really make for an insane track.

Well done Duane and Co. to a job really well done!

Guest Omega Man

So yeah, went riding there today with the guys this morning. The rain and sticky-as-glue mud should have told me it was maybe a day better spent eating popcorn in front of the tv.

The track really is awesome. Really nice and techy up high and then it gets really ast on the jump line.

I ended up cancelling myself on one of the gaps (10 months of mtb'ing makes an expert not) so I unfortunately had to bail.

Can't wait to hit that spot dry and dusty. Will then really make for an insane track.

Well done Duane and Co. to a job really well done!

Thanks for coming out man. Sorry about the off.

After you left Jan took me to show me his new line and the enduro line he's got planned and has started cutting. That place has so much potential it's crazy.

Edited by Omega Man

Guest Omega Man

Can't wait!!!

Oh and we are building some drops to practice on. I'm hoping to get them done next weekend. or at least make a start. We'll probly get 2 of the 4 done.