Rant: Chris Willemse

Lone_Ranger

Here's a little of my little web and e-commerce knowledge for you...

So there's a couple of ways stock can be managed with an online store:

1. Everytime something is purchased the person responsible for the site will log in and update the stock levels on the site - pretty tedious but often what is found with smaller, more basic sites.

2. The website itself has a backend database that will be updated with new stock and stock levels and then will independently keep track of stock levels - this is most often used but your issues come in when you have a sales floor and an online store, stock levels aren't going to match completely then and some manual effort is going to be needed to update it anyway.

3. A full 3rd party sales integration, link between all stock sold on the floor and online, fully automated - my guess is this would be the system CWC and most other large quantity online stores use, they will receive their stock and input the details (product name, SKU, price, quantity) into the system which would then send those details in live time to the website then everytime something is bought or sold (either online or in the store) the details will travel back to the 3rd party system and then update the website accordingly.

So if CWC do use the 3rd option there is always the possibility of a glitch/bug in the system from the 3rd party side and not much they'd be able to do about it (until too late), the other possibility is that perhaps 1 or 2 of the items were given away as a freebie to somebody and never recorded correctly so the system believes there is stock left but when somebody checks the storeroom to pack your order...oops gone!

I'll probably think of something else to add to this but for now I cant...Hope that helps a bit :)

Me personally, i'll still support them or anybody else that comes in cheaper.

Edited by lucmccann

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a little of my little web and e-commerce knowledge for you...

So there's a couple of ways stock can be managed with an online store:

1. Everytime something is purchased the person responsible for the site will log in and update the stock levels on the site - pretty tedious but often what is found with smaller, more basic sites.

2. The website itself has a backend database that will be updated with new stock and stock levels and then will independently keep track of stock levels - this is most often used but your issues come in when you have a sales floor and an online store, stock levels aren't going to match completely then and some manual effort is going to be needed to update it anyway.

3. A full 3rd party sales integration, link between all stock sold on the floor and online, fully automated - my guess is this would be the system CWC and most other large quantity online stores use, they will receive their stock and input the details (product name, SKU, price, quantity) into the system which would then send those details in live time to the website then everytime something is bought or sold (either online or in the store) the details will travel back to the 3rd party system and then update the website accordingly.

So if CWC do use the 3rd option there is always the possibility of a glitch/bug in the system from the 3rd party side and not much they'd be able to do about it (until too late), the other possibility is that perhaps 1 or 2 of the items were given away as a freebie to somebody and never recorded correctly so the system believes there is stock left but when somebody checks the storeroom to pack your order...oops gone!

I'll probably think of something else to add to this but for now I cant...Hope that helps a bit :)

Me personally, i'll still support them or anybody else that comes in cheaper.

The online and physical shop are separate entities.

CWC brand themselves as a "leader".

Your feedback is good.

Seems to be a recurring service failure though.

You got to be joking right?? If you pay for something that then is not in stock but was advertised then you would expect a full refund at the very least. Its not fair it is minimum requirement in my opinion.

Do you actually do any shopping? You will be disappointed!

99% of shops offer an exchange on another product in their shop, not a full refund :eek:

incorrect...I expect service levels of 200% for in store and online. Who in the world has the impression that an online service must be of sub-standard levels...you must be using Kalahari as a benchmark

edit:typo

we all expect it but sadly is doesn't happen, this was a 'glitch' it happens, i'm sure CWC are aware and will try and resolve this issue form happening again, they were serious specials on the XON kit (up to 80% off) so the orders were flying faster than they could keep up.

shame on CWC for offering such huge discounts :)

anyway, I'm sure there are better components to buy than XON.....or the same components with another generic name on them, were not talking Thomson here? (ok I know that's not the point)

not everything has to be broadcast on the net, I contact a shop about a product, description led me to believe one thing I checked first with them turns out the items doesn't include something that was described......no biggie, didn't buy it. didnt make a big stink about false adverting either.Moved on.

I've been in the same boat a while ago.Needed some chainrings,went online with CWC and saw they had them in stock.Drove there because it was urgent ,asked behind the counter for said chainrings.Salesman goes on computer and says no problem we got them in stock,let me get them,only to be told by another salesman,sorry don't have those chainrings.Havnt had for 2 weeks.

Evobikes is all I can say.Second point,don't advertise anything at a Great price if its not in stock.Might as well as say " for free".

Can one not ask for a "Rain check"(or is it cheque?) as with the new advertising laws if something is advertised at a price and they do not have it in stock(advertising it is in stock), then they have to give it to you at that price even if you have to weight for stock.

I've done this on a special at PnP.

E-commerce systems should not be put in place without at least some sort of automated stock control/WMS system which can communicate with the OMS to update stock counts, on dispatch and on return.

Its a typical south african way of doing things, set it up, then try make it work with the other systems. I doubt CWC have got a integrated OMS and WMS to manage their stock, hence is being human driven and prone to problems.

Do you actually do any shopping? You will be disappointed!

99% of shops offer an exchange on another product in their shop, not a full refund :eek:

I do lots of shopping.

Recently I ordered something that Takealot did not have (or could not get). They phoned me and offered a refund and I took it......

I understand if you return an item to a shop that they will exchange it rather than refunding cold hard cash but surely if you buy something online and it is now suddenly out of stock they cannot force you to choose something else?

Or am I missing something here?

If I pay for something and don't receive it then want my money back end of story. Don't confuse online retailers with physical shops.

I do lots of shopping.

Recently I ordered something that Takealot did not have (or could not get). They phoned me and offered a refund and I took it......

I understand if you return an item to a shop that they will exchange it rather than refunding cold hard cash but surely if you buy something online and it is now suddenly out of stock they cannot force you to choose something else?

Or am I missing something here?

If I pay for something and don't receive it then want my money back end of story. Don't confuse online retailers with physical shops.

You are spot-on. Retail and online shops are subject to the same rules.

Agree if you advertise items at cheap prices but not really have it. that's just wrong it's a cheap low way off getting people to shop at your store. The consumer act must have something against that?

Then if you have there money you just offer they something else .... it's win win for you as you still make a sale.

rant,rant,rant ......

" So they offer me a refund or replace the missing items with something else."

Very fair of them, how many other shops will offer you a full refund ?

Good on CWC.

The availability issue is something all shops go through.

If you are a good seller, its normal for you to be out of stock :whistling:

All online shops do that (Not the Nigerian ones of course)

Online shops offer full refunds when it comes to stock availability. They will always try and punt something else first, but eventually it will be a refund.

Agree if you advertise items at cheap prices but not really have it. that's just wrong it's a cheap low way off getting people to shop at your store. The consumer act must have something against that?

Then if you have there money you just offer they something else .... it's win win for you as you still make a sale.

Been mentioned on the thread already. It's bait marketing. Not allowed.

Try Evo Bikes. I find them to be spot on 100% of the time.

HAHA. now THERE'S a bunch of useless sods. You order a multi tool, arrange to go and collect. Get to this little arb beauty salon, ask for your order from a girl that clearly knows NOTHING about cycling, you get told that she's not aware of your order and that the guy that deals with it is nowhere to be seen... I prefer to deal with a retailer that does not operate from his garage, thanks.

HAHA. now THERE'S a bunch of useless sods. You order a multi tool, arrange to go and collect. Get to this little arb beauty salon, ask for your order from a girl that clearly knows NOTHING about cycling, you get told that she's not aware of your order and that the guy that deals with it is nowhere to be seen... I prefer to deal with a retailer that does not operate from his garage, thanks.

And where is this coming from? Just from this 4 pages there were numerous complaints about the same problem with CWC and lots of praise for Evobikes.