Rave - Racing Ralphs durability

I FLY

I love my Racing Ralphs, however being a heavy rider, the compound is quite soft and when I hit the tar, the tread wears quite badly. Hitting tar is unavoidable when making my way to the mountain trails, before somebody says something clever like 'Why are you even riding on tar with a MTB'...

Good tyres though... ONZA are also pretty decent..

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone have experience with Michelin tyres?

Got some with new bike and still debating whether or not I should leave them on for pioneer or go back to my schwalbes?

Eish Rattler, I would stick to what I know...stay with the ralphs I say

Hmmm, yeah I think you are right..... looks like I'll have to do a quick change in Oudtshoorn on saturday!

Hmmm, yeah I think you are right..... looks like I'll have to do a quick change in Oudtshoorn on saturday!

The good thing about ye old RR is that they consistent, not spectacularly good at anything...just consistent.

They are easy to get

They are easy to plug should you have to

They are easy to convert tubeless and get a seal on the bead without going to a BP

They are easy to repair ito sidewall cut...trailside

They are strong enough

They are light enough

They grip enough

They roll enough.

The good thing about ye old RR is that they consistent, not spectacularly good at anything...just consistent.

They are easy to get

They are easy to plug should you have to

They are easy to convert tubeless and get a seal on the bead without going to a BP

They are easy to repair ito sidewall cut...trailside

They are strong enough

They are light enough

They grip enough

They roll enough.

Agreed - I rode nobby nic / racing ralph combo (snakeskin) on my hardtail and never had issues - think I'll do a quick change on Saturday :thumbup:

I've only ridden Schwalbe :blush:

I've slashed a Ralph sidewall (back wheel) thru water and @ 3T i punctured (i clipped a klippie) descending.

Other than that they seem to last forever

All 26" stuff so 2.25 is the only place i get a bit more volume :whistling:

I swear by them they grip like hell compared to others Ive ridden . Im a heavy weight in biking terms 95kg I do ride a lot of hard dirt and that eats at them . BUT the normal RR have shitty sidewalls and feels like they look for rocks to get cut my third set in about 3500km due to sidewall cuts. Stitched one pairs sidewall cut with floss tape and could still run it tube less but never did lol. I need to get snakeskin one day when Im big . :whistling:

I've used RRalph snakeskins on the rear for a while now. Only negative is that I seem to have to run them a bit harder if I'm riding fast flowing single track like at van gaalens river section. It's not that the tyre loses grip but the soft-ish sidewall collapses under lateral load and doesn't inspire confidence. Tar chows them. Bye.

I run the Onza canis in front and the RR at the back, really nice combo..

Might put the IBEX XC on as the rear tyre when the RR nobblies start peeling off.. which is soon I think.

I replaced my old RR's today for the B&B 2 day. Figured I got so much out of the old pair that it didn't make sense to look at anything else.

I replaced my front ra-ralph with a rocket ron, about 1300ks ago. It really gives much better tracking but do I keep the back on ra-ralph or also rocket ron and what about nob-nick?

Racing Ralph - I do not like seeing my R650 tire being dissolved when I ride a tar section. That`s what my Ikons are for - to not dissolve like that. But when I want fast I switch over to my AC Race wheels with a Ralph on the front and a Ritchey Shield on the back.

I replaced my front ra-ralph with a rocket ron, about 1300ks ago. It really gives much better tracking but do I keep the back on ra-ralph or also rocket ron and what about nob-nick?

Try the Ikon Exo, great as a rear tire.

But when I want fast I switch over to my AC Race wheels with a Ralph on the front and a Ritchey Shield on the back.

What is the Shield like?

I tried them on my SS but could not get them to seal and ended up with a Nobbly Nic/Ralph combination.

I would however like to try them again at some stage.