PTA cyclist shot at

VeloErv

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We are newish to PTA East and stay around the corner from these incidents. I haven’t been riding and the desire to ride is being dampened by this crap. If they (ruthless criminals) are willing to take adults on in this cowardly manner, what will they do with kids? How do we keep the youngsters involved and safe in the sport we all love?

I have a love / hate relationship for this country and what it has become, especially Smoggville.

To ride or not ride, that is the question.

Edited by Bargains

The callous manner of this shoot first ask questions later is what really freaks me out here, also the fact that this was done on a major road in rush hour traffic shows that these criminal have absolutely no fear of any repercussions. Those squatter camps are clearly the problem,as all they do is run into them and disappear. I wonder where this will end? Are we going to live in fear and not even have the simple pleasure of being able to go and ride our bikes?

A real sad state of affairs, the seriousness of crimes against us cyclists seems to be escalating with little or no input from the relevant Authorities.

Hot Spots are being identified; however little or nothing gets done in these areas !!

Tragic that the love of the sport is being undermined by criminals in this country namely those carrying out these crimes and the politicians / officials who turn a blind eye at these trangressions. :cursing:

Hi guys.

I'm working for Beeld newspaper and would very much like to do a story about the shooting. I know the nearby informal settlement in Pretoria East has been giving quite a lot of trouble the past few months.

Could someone please help me with contact info on the guy that was shot?

Would appreciate it really very much!

Hi there

PM me, got contact details.

G

Hi guys.

I'm working for Beeld newspaper and would very much like to do a story about the shooting. I know the nearby informal settlement in Pretoria East has been giving quite a lot of trouble the past few months.

Could someone please help me with contact info on the guy that was shot?

Would appreciate it really very much!

Guys

You have to talk the language of the politicians.

If MTB gets targeted, then people will slow down on buying bikes,

This reduces bikes needing servicing, which reduce the amount of labour needed, lost of jobs,

This reduces people riding bikes in bike parks, which means less bike parks, less tracks at bike parks, means less employment.

G

Hey guys

So we had a meeting with the police this morning and brought up the topic of the hijacking and attempted hijackings with Captain Steenkamp.

He said he will station a vehicle in the area on Thursday nights from 18:00. Now I personally was hoping to see one a bit more often, but we only have a limited number of vehicles for the Garsfontein precinct.

Thats fantastic. sure the Parkview Night Riders guys will be very happy, they got attention/protection, on a Thursday night.

Now bummer for the others,

This is more a band aid on the problem, instead of trying to solve the problem.

G

Hey guys

So we had a meeting with the police this morning and brought up the topic of the hijacking and attempted hijackings with Captain Steenkamp.

He said he will station a vehicle in the area on Thursday nights from 18:00. Now I personally was hoping to see one a bit more often, but we only have a limited number of vehicles for the Garsfontein precinct.

Hey guys

That is a start thanks for the efforts, any other immediate plans to catch these oxygen thieves from SAPS side?

Yeah well what can you do?

All we know is that it's two dudes with a pistol. I reckon out of the three squatter camps and surrounds, there's going to be quite a few matching that description.

I've been reading all these comments about taking the law into your own hands and carrying your own gun, but believe me until you're in this situation, by the time you try and reach for your gun it's too late. If I had been carrying a gun with me what was I supposed to do, stop and try shoot back? As soon as we noticed these guys were trying to attack us and as soon as we noticed that the one guy was pulling something out of his pocket we bolted. It was so quick. I was five or ten metres away from them when the first shot was fired, then another two. There would have been no time to draw a weapon it happens so quickly.

To answer another question posted, no I didn't feel or hear any bullet hitting my helmet. My cleat came out my pedal as I got a fright when they were trying to attack us and all I was concentrating on was getting the hell out of there and trying to clip back in. Only on Saturday after my morning ride did I notice that there was a hole in my helmet.

I have reported it to the police and I do have a case number. Capt Steenkamp told me, like Bianchi also said, they are going to patrol a van in the area on Thursday nights when we normally ride. Capt Steenkamp also said that it WILL happen again in that area if they have hit it before so please stay away from it guys.

The callous manner of this shoot first ask questions later is what really freaks me out here, also the fact that this was done on a major road in rush hour traffic shows that these criminal have absolutely no fear of any repercussions. Those squatter camps are clearly the problem,as all they do is run into them and disappear. I wonder where this will end? Are we going to live in fear and not even have the simple pleasure of being able to go and ride our bikes?

District 9 comes to mind for some reason......................

PLEASE DO ME A FAVOUR:

I need the exact details of the incidents that were sent to whoever etc. Especially the versions from the two that were shot at.

I have lined up some Regional Commanders from Metro Police that were requested by the Chief of Tshwane Metro Police.

Maybe this will help, maybe it wont, but the more people knows and are aware, the better.

email me:

Rudolph dot jordaan at gmail dot com ASAP