PTA cyclist shot at

VeloErv

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After all the publicity not enough to put someone off training and risking there lives

And as always there is some punk with a *** comment, why should we not be able to go out and practice/enjoy our favourite past time - you are missing the big picture!

It's like open gates now?

That's just plain lawless murderous thieves opening fire randomly on citizens with impunity. They appear to have no fear of repercussions.

I can see the financial reasoning - unprotected person on high value asset , isolated and with no means for escape. Sitting ducks man, society is not kif when cyclists become free for all open targets. I suppose this is the type of country we live in but riding your bike had a sense of freedom from the mess, they'll steal your car or Tv but not your bike WHILST YOU ARE ON IT.

Basically these guys are trying to shoot a cyclist off his bike to then go and pick the bike up once the rider is incapacitated?

That is a really serious state of affairs, this bike jacking has become a burgeoning issue, I've watched the reports growing all over the country over the last 15 months or so . The criminals now know the value of the bikes and obviously have a black market to sell them and now they are heightening their crime wave against cyclists. I wouldn't be surprised if a good few hardened car jackers are moving to bike jacking due to how easy it is and how little the police do. Much easier to move and hide a bike than a car, returns would probably be similar to the their committing a car jacking as a car jacked apparently only gets a R1000 or so for a car thief, the syndicate that moves the goods gets the majority of the money. Where are these bikes getting sold?

I wish the police would set up a task force to try resolve this, if only.

What a situation.

Edited by Skylark

Lived in that area for 2 years.....even that robot at Woodlands was a "No stop" zone after dark always a yeild.....

Blame that "business" with the "big offices" on the hill for encouraging those crimenals to stay.

Yes enjoy your favourite past time but but don't do it where its a hot zone at the moment

Agree but not every cyclist is a hubber, thus not every cyclist knows where the hot spots are.........

Lived in that area for 2 years.....even that robot at Woodlands was a "No stop" zone after dark always a yeild.....

Blame that "business" with the "big offices" on the hill for encouraging those crimenals to stay.

I've heard stories that the "employees" go too the settlement and give these vagrants food.

I've heard stories that the "employees" go too the settlement and give these vagrants food.

Exactly - no coinsedance that the settlement is right behind the business.

No good deed goes unpunished!

car jacked apparently only gets a R1000 or so for a car thief, the syndicate that moves the goods gets the majority of the money.

Wrong.

A jacked Polo/Golf gets the hijacker in the region of R10k depending on the model, and the person that strips and sells it in the region of R40'000. A journalist did an article with some hijackers in the Mamelodi area last month.

As to where the bikes go... some don't get sold, aka township bikes, others get sold on Gumtree, others get sold to bike shops via an intermediary.

Not good news :( let hope they arrest and bring to book.

Depends if a cyclist or motorist in the area is packing a 9mm and shoots the hijackers the next time they try something.

Edited by Bianchi