creatine and cramps

RoboLuke

it seems like every time i try creatine i start getting cramps after about 2 hours. who has the same problem? who can use creatine on 3 and 4 hour rides?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,I have been experimenting with supplements,and the excact same thing happens to me...it's not your imagination.I have tried it 4 times with the same result..

Something else i picked up was limiting milk a day before a race ..

Seen it a few times with guys not drinking enough liquids.You should be drinking almost 2l a day.

Jip l pinpointed my occasional cramps to too little fluids

I avoid energy sachets with creatine at all cost during a race as I also experienced cramps and was advised it could be the creatine. It certainly went away when I changed. I was using Biogen's product at the time. (not sure if they still use creatine in it now - was about 4-5 years ago)

I thought creatine was used by body builders for building muscle mass.

What would the benefit for cycling be?

I thought creatine was used by body builders for building muscle mass.

What would the benefit for cycling be?

Some has skinny legs

Edited by ' Dale

it seems like every time i try creatine i start getting cramps after about 2 hours. who has the same problem? who can use creatine on 3 and 4 hour rides?

RoboLuke you need to train more and leave the creatine for "junkies"

I use creatine. Us vegetarians are frequently if not inevitably short of creatine. I cramp if I overdo a ride in a big way with too little training. Havnt seen any change in the pattern if I use creatine or not.

I use it quite conservatively though

RoboLuke you need to train more and leave the creatine for "junkies"

Morning Ma'am

You hit the nail on the head.

Creatine provides muscle fuel for very short efforts ( a few seconds) of very high intensity i.e. power lifting, sprinting. Basicaly a waste of time money and increased wear and tear on your renal system for the majority of endurance athletes

Chances are the high intensity efforts are causing cramps, if its not that it might be something to do with dehydration if you don't increase your fluid intake when using creatine.

creatine works great for short sprint type rides. XCO mtb races are a good example. the short hard bursts to get up short steep climbs.

All seems a bit dodgy. I think I would rather spend more time on the hills.

Hurts but also more fun!