Giant dual susp

KABOUS

Which Anthem? The 29er or 27.5?

I had a Anthem 29er aluminium, got stolen, and now ride the 29er Advanced.

I had a Anthem 29er aluminium, got stolen, and now ride the 29er Advanced.

Rode an Advanced a couple of weeks back. I fell in love, but had my heart broken when I watched a customer walk out the shop with it… :(

Schweet bike! Enjoy :thumbup:

Which Anthem? The 29er or 27.5?

I think if you aren,t 6 feet plus tall ,,the 27,5 will give give more nimbleness that you lost with the stabilty of the frame and longer chainstays .Best of both worlds !I think giant have another winner in their stable

The maestro system on my Trance is so effective I hardly bother with the pro pedal, even on they way up. Though with it on it does improve the climbing a bit but sacrifices a little traction.

I'm in love with that bike. It has improved my riding, and climbs like a home sick Angel.

I think if you aren,t 6 feet plus tall ,,the 27,5 will give give more nimbleness that you lost with the stabilty of the frame and longer chainstays .Best of both worlds !I think giant have another winner in their stable

Ja, we got two of the alu Anthem 27.5s in stock about a week and a half ago. Both sold already. Tested a medium after the pre-delivery check, and had great fun on it. I'm short-ish - 1.75 - and felt a bit more comfy and "in control*" on that bike than the 29er.

*Relative term. I am rarely in control on a bike… :blush:

The anthem's maestro suspension is super efficient. I don't bother with propedal unless I'm doing a standing climb. And with propedal on, I don't feel any loss of power through the rear shock when standing. The fox fork on the front is a different story - it needs to be locked out for sustained climbing out the saddle.

As for taking bumps, it's very compliant over small bumps and rocks, and can take some pretty big hits in it's stride, sometimes more than you think an XC bike should be able to.

Overall a great bike for what it is, and to get something better, you have to pay quite a bit more. The carbon one with the rockshox fork and shock is very well specced and great value.

I am looking at the Anthem, advanced- Does the rear shock come standard with a remote shifter or do you always have to manually change the settings on the shock?

In 2008 I bought an Alu 26er Anthem from a friend. Pumped the shock to 160 kPa and completed the Epic, CPT and many other races without trying to fine-tune the set-up. What a great bike wih no perceived energy loss on the climbs - and I never lock out the shock.

I am super impressed, despite the bike being a tad heavy.

I actually prefer this bike to my 26er XTC HT.

Edited by Underachiever

My 40km xc bike is a 2008 anthem,which is the last year of the 3,5 inch model.The only major change I have done to it is to put a 120mm reba fork on it to slaken the head angle a little.

The bike has done plenty of km (2 sani2c, trans lesotho,berg and bush etc) and still rides well as ever.I have no reason to buy a newer model,( but if it broke I would go for the anthem 650b).

I have 2009 26" Anthem and Trance X1's (Full XT) both with Mavic SLR rims so they're lightish. I use the Anthem for N Farm, Spruit etc and the Trance for Van Gaalens etc. I have played around with shock and fork settings and now have the ideal plush ride, which my old body likes! (Even on the Anthem) I seldom worry about locking out because I find it hardly makes any difference to the climbing power (Maestro is good). And anyway, I usually forget to unlock the shock on the next gnarly downhill so halfway down wonder why my bike feels like a hardtail!

I agree that you need to do your own thing with air pressures. Start with the Fox recomendations and go from there. I have those settings somewhere if anybody needs them