Where was this Mike?

Sorry I see it was after the race..

Edited by Escapee..

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolute K.............K, I am not from any objecting club and frankly I don't care who runs the race, I just believe it could have been way better organised and safer, to add to my further rant after the race, there could have at least been a traffic officer or a marshal placed at the T-Junction where people turn to go back towards Joburg, it took us over 20 mins just to get over the stop street.

It took me 45min to get from the venue over that 1st stop street (6km in 45min).

I left the venue around 11:30

Edited by hayleyearth

Not sure when you left, but when i left, probably somewhere around 10:30 or so, there most definitely was a traffic officer or marshall( i forget which one) at the T Junction where you turn right to lanseria or left to Harties.

We had a couple of beers after the race so when we left at about 12:00 there was hectic traffic going that way.

We where the last batch FM and I didn't stop at the first water point. I had one bottle of water and a bottle of GI32. I dropped my bottle of GI32 just after the first water point and had to rely on the water points there after for a energy and electrolyte drink Don't know if their weak powerade mixture did the trick. The water was also warm. The marshals at the finish were chatting and we missed the turnoff to the mats.

Absolute K.............K, I am not from any objecting club and frankly I don't care who runs the race, I just believe it could have been way better organised and safer, to add to my further rant after the race, there could have at least been a traffic officer or a marshal placed at the T-Junction where people turn to go back towards Joburg, it took us over 20 mins just to get over the stop street.

You stood for 20min next to the road waiting at the T-Junction?!?!? ......

I also did the 80km and all that I can say is .... K#K!! :whistling:

This sounds like a personal thing or you are just having Monday morning blues.

I really liked the race with some concerns regarding the finish - a finish in the main road would probably be better.

Did the race.

Not part of any clubs involved.

Bad venue. Previous years' venues were better.

No toilets.

Dust everywhere.

Walking on your carbon shoes on stones and rocks and crap....not nice

Bike marshals was flawless as usual. Thank you for that!

Finish sprint was super crap and dangerous!

Route was fun and road surface was good.

Cannot comment on water points but the water tables at the finish was typical of a small race.

I don't see this race grow into something bigger.

If ASG has any hope of getting a good race going, they should go have a look what the organisers of the Pretoria Engen Classic did. That was awesome and you could see the trouble they went through to make it safer and easier for the participants.

Did the race.

No toilets.

Dust everywhere.

Cannot comment on water points but the water tables at the finish was typical of a small race.

If ASG has any hope of getting a good race going, they should go have a look what the organisers of the Pretoria Engen Classic did. That was awesome and you could see the trouble they went through to make it safer and easier for the participants.

Very good analysis I think! :thumbup:

Did the race.

No toilets.

Dust everywhere.

Venue had tons of parking, thats all that really matters.

There were toilets, at various locations and on the watering holes, I know both my fiance and I used them.

Is dust really an issue that can be blamed on the organisers? Whats next? Blame them for heat and wind?

If you dont want to walk around on your bike shoes....... bring plakkies.

Rest of the points are accurate, keeping in mind that its a small race, and you should not expect Tour quality event.

Edited by ArchedBackChinOut

As I've said before, I don't understand how a for-profit race organised by a for-profit company uses volunteers?

As opposed to something like the Epic where you actually have to pay for the privilege of volunteering :ph34r:

We also got stuck in traffic there but most definitely saw a marshal directing traffic.

Did the race.

No toilets.

Dust everywhere.

You have got to be joking on some points. There were toilets at various points all over the place. While the finish was not perfect and would've been better on the main road, the venue as a whole was much better than last year. At least we didn't have to dodge two way motor vehicle traffic in the the last few km like last year.

Rode in A group... we had a bike marshal in front and one behind most of the race - although at times the marshal in front was napping and we nearly rode into him on two of the descents.

Cant say I felt safe, bloody trucks and cars trying to overtake us - most of which were quite considerate, except one @ssho!e that must have passed us at 140km/h.

Overall I think the event was better than previous years, but the finish is still a disaster and the traffic is not ideal leading up to hekticPoort!

Definitely pricey for what you got but thought it was better than last year, also no major accidents that I know of. Missed some snacks at the water points but thats it.

Venue had tons of parking, thats all that really matters.

Did you see how many cars had to park on the road side????

Seriously? Enough parking? HAHAHHAHAH

There were toilets, at various locations and on the watering holes, I know both my fiance and I used them.

Did not get any at the starting blocks. Used the farmers gate.

Is dust really an issue that can be blamed on the organisers? Whats next? Blame them for heat and wind?

Nope. But you can use a venue where there are more than ONE entrance and exit for the venue? No?

If you dont want to walk around on your bike shoes....... bring plakkies.

And I do WHAT with my plakkies when I start? I don't have my mom walking me to the start of every race to take my plakkies when I start.

Rest of the points are accurate, keeping in mind that its a small race, and you should not expect Tour quality event.

This was...I repeat...WAS one of the top 10 races in the COUNTRY with THOUSANDS of entrants.

I don't think they even clocked ONE thousand entrants.........sad to say.....

We also got stuck in traffic there but most definitely saw a marshal directing traffic.

You have got to be joking on some points. There were toilets at various points all over the place. While the finish was not perfect and would've been better on the main road, the venue as a whole was much better than last year. At least we didn't have to dodge two way motor vehicle traffic in the the last few km like last year.

We rode back to our home after the race with the bikes.

The short distance riders had it pretty seriously bad with heavy traffic. Trucks in particular.

On the 80 and 106 the traffic was perfect.

Dude believe what you like, I have absolutely nothing to do with even organisation, I honestly couldn't give a s....t who runs the race as long as its safe period!

The finish was incredibly stupid. Almost had a crash as we were sprinting for the line. No one bothered to warn us before the race about the finish line being up the access road. We were all sprinting for the cones