Convertion or upgrade?

Jaco-fiets

HI Guys!

Please give me your opinion on the following. At this stage it is for interest sake but it might help change my mind

I am in the process of converting to 1x10. The costs for this will be as follows:

32T woolf chainring: R895

General Lee converter: R1950

XT cassette: R795 (currently have xtr but converter don't fit on xtr)

XT chain: R395

Would you guys go for the above or just upgrade to 1x11. I will keep my crank and the woolf chainring I already have and get the following

X01 cluster from CRC: R3166

X01 rear derailer from CRC R3166

With dhl shipping and tax the above 2 items will be R6085

Add XX1 gripshift: R1690

XX1 chain R590

In total it will be R4035 for the convertion and about R8365 for the upgrade

What's your opinion?

Edited by Jaco-fiets

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pardon my ignorance. but what is the general lee converter for?

Also, What derailleur are you currently using? I thought if you are already running a 2X 10 you could just get a wolftooth or a Narrow wide chainring and then 1X 10 would be sorted....

Pardon my ignorance. but what is the general lee converter for?

Also, What derailleur are you currently using? I thought if you are already running a 2X 10 you could just get a wolftooth or a Narrow wide chainring and then 1X 10 would be sorted....

The converter is to convert my cassette to a 11/42 from the current 11/36. I know a lot of people keep the 11/36 cassette but I am not in the mood to have every ride turn into a interval. In the area I ride I figure the extra gears will help. Yes I have a 10 speed xtr rear derailer.

The costs remain as above. Judging by those expenses I need to know what you guys think. Convertion or upgrade?

I guess the question at the end of the day is whether or not an extra gear is worth R.4000 (thats an entire second hand jump bike...)

Me, I would just go with a 34,32 or 30 upfront and keep the rear at its 36/11.

or go for the conversion and if it does not work for you sell it and go for the upgrade.

There have been reports of the General Lee adapter being weak and fragile. In other words, you'd probably be changing it out for a new cassette in the next 6 months anyway.

Me - if I had the available cash I'd go for the X01 over the adapter conversion, purely due to the better quality of the X01 cassette over the general lee & XTR.

Also try to see if the local guys / other online stores (wiggle, bike-discount.de, probikeshop.com, jensonusa.com, evobikes.co.za, buycycle.co.za & then Merlin) have them for less....

Jaco, have you ridden a 1x10 before in the WC?

I'm sure there are much steeper mountains there as in Gauteng or Free State, but I have not yet needed a cassette larger than 36/11 (with 32 teeth chain ring). I did however adjust my riding style a bit and get out the seat more with slow steady pedal strokes, but never felt as if I "couldn't go anymore".

I can't seem to justify spending +R2k on 4 sprockets.

Someone commented on another thread that the 42 tooth cog on the XX1 cassette wear quicker than the rest of the cassette, as it's made from a different material to save weight. Would make me think twice about going the XX1 / XO1 route. I'd rather get a 30T chainring and lose at the heavier end of your gearing.

There have been reports of the General Lee adapter being weak and fragile. In other words, you'd probably be changing it out for a new cassette in the next 6 months anyway.

Me - if I had the available cash I'd go for the X01 over the adapter conversion, purely due to the better quality of the X01 cassette over the general lee & XTR.

Also try to see if the local guys / other online stores (wiggle, bike-discount.de, probikeshop.com, jensonusa.com, evobikes.co.za, buycycle.co.za & then Merlin) have them for less....

I read that in a recent "What Mountain Bike" mag, the alloy seems a bit soft and wore quickly.

post-2975-0-74338200-1382531692_thumb.jpg

Doesn't the XX1 require a different freehub body as well?

If no freehub then that means new wheelset?

I understood the same Crinton or at least a new hub and therefore also a wheel build?

I understood the same Crinton or at least a new hub and therefore also a wheel build?

Don't you get a driver / adapter of some sort so that you won't need to rebuild your wheel

Don't you get a driver / adapter of some sort so that you won't need to rebuild your wheel

only for certain few high spec hubs I heard but I may be wrong (highly unlikely ;) )

Also unsure...??

Hope does them, as do DT (I think) and AC. I THINK Superstar are working on one (heard it somewhere, can't remember where) and Mavic will have one pretty soon as well.

CK, maybe - I dunno.

But you're right - you need an adapter in order to make the X01 cassette fit.

Hope does them, as do DT (I think) and AC. I THINK Superstar are working on one (heard it somewhere, can't remember where) and Mavic will have one pretty soon as well.

CK, maybe - I dunno.

But you're right - you need an adapter in order to make the X01 cassette fit.

Mmmmmmm............... I did not think about that one.................... Looks like I will convert rather than the upgrade then at this stage