Video of the Week - How to be a mountain biker

patches

ummm not entirely...

As stated previous the type of riding fits bewteen XC and DH... and the equipment allows this.

Yes you can do AM riding on a hardtail 29er, just like you could do 3 towers on a dirt jumper... but horses for courses... With AM riding the trails are most suited to medium travel bikes with slacker head angles. They can still climb hills, not like an XC bike though, but are far more forgiving on descents, rock sections, and jumps, but not as forgiving as DH bikes.

So like you say... jack of all trades, master of none.

aaaargh, no man, just when I thought I had it down....and to me it makes absolute sense not to try and put into a equipment box...read helmets, padding, lycra, shorts, bikes, bottles, camelbaks

Surely you can cherry pick what you like from both the DH and XC world and still do AM, because you are getting out there and having fun.

If you want to box into something surely it leans more to terrain than equipment...a place where you can ride easy-ish XC like trails and easi-ish downhills at the same spot / ride?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can tell you now without watching that the last 3 steps are probably not needed. :ph34r:

26 steps has done the job for so long, why complicate matters?

To be fair they tried 27.5 steps but it just didn't work...

aaaargh, no man, just when I thought I had it down....and to me it makes absolute sense not to try and put into a equipment box...read helmets, padding, lycra, shorts, bikes, bottles, camelbaks

Surely you can cherry pick what you like from both the DH and XC world and still do AM, because you are getting out there and having fun.

If you want to box into something surely it leans more to terrain than equipment...a place where you can ride easy-ish XC like trails and easi-ish downhills at the same spot / ride?

If I am on my 26 inch FS xc-ish machine riding up steep hills, and bombing down singletrack, getting some air ( using the term loosely here) having FUN, it makes my bike a AM bike??

I suppose these classifications have been created for the marketing peeps to be able to sell their bstest newest equipment.

Still does not stop me from riding my 100mm FS bike how and where I want.

If I am on my 26 inch FS xc-ish machine riding up steep hills, and bombing down singletrack, getting some air ( using the term loosely here) having FUN, it makes my bike a AM bike??

I suppose these classifications have been created for the marketing peeps to be able to sell their bstest newest equipment.

Still does not stop me from riding my 100mm FS bike how and where I want.

Exactly roller....exactly. And I think you might be spot-on...its another means to sell more bikes. Why not create another market and call it....AM and with enough marketing you can sell a crap load of stuff to people.

If I am on my 26 inch FS xc-ish machine riding up steep hills, and bombing down singletrack, getting some air ( using the term loosely here) having FUN, it makes my bike a AM bike?? I suppose these classifications have been created for the marketing peeps to be able to sell their bstest newest equipment. Still does not stop me from riding my 100mm FS bike how and where I want.

Exactly roller....exactly. And I think you might be spot-on...its another means to sell more bikes. Why not create another market and call it....AM and with enough marketing you can sell a crap load of stuff to people.

DH bikes are pretty much just marketing too! From the sound of it your 100mm XC bikes seems to do just fine on the downhills.

And XC bikes... biggest marketing hype ever! I did Sani on my AM bike just fine, so it's pretty much the same as an XC bike.I think we should all just ride Humbers... they're the same as any mountain bike... and road bike for that matter

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4134/4798454967_662f4e971c.jpg

Edited by patches

DH bikes are pretty much just marketing too! From the sound of it your 100mm XC bikes seems to do just fine on the downhills.

No wait wait wait I will help you on the XC thing since its not your thing

The majority of XC bikes are hardtail 29ers with aggressive head angles ...FACT

The majority of DH rigs are 200mm 26ers with slacker head angles

So if you want the butterzone you would need

a 27.5mm bike with 100mm of travel with a head angle between the two.....something like the new giant anthem should be the best of both yes?

Lets break it down:

XC - fast, powerfull lycra sporting racers. loves to breathe heavily, and is addicted to the burn.

XCM - fast, ex-roadies and current roadies, loves mountainbiking, because it's just like road riding, without the traffic.

AM - not as extreme as downhill, not as intense as XC, endurance is something you want in the bedroom, skateboard helmets baggies flat pedals and 510s. available at your nearest coffee shop.

Enduro - All the kit of DH minus the travel, frequently dreaming about starring in a Redbull rampage, but doe snot have the cajones

DH - The line between brave and stupid is blurred, looks great when it works, but when it goes wrong, people turn their heads away and you get that uneasy feeling in the stomach. Lots of walking and carrying bikes, riding is intense and only lasts a couple of minutes.

Subject to standard disclaimer.

TBH, I often feel bad for my 100mm bike, I secretly want a slacker head angle and a little more suspension. it's not fair on the bike.

When hitting a stepdown, leaning as far back as possible and still feeling like going OTB I really think i have the wrong tool for the job.

You can drive a nail into wood using pliers - a hammer just works a little better.

My big problem I have with all these different bikes - I can only afford one, and lately my riding time is no where to be seen.

And XC bikes... biggest marketing hype ever! I did Sani on my AM bike just fine, so it's pretty much the same as an XC bike.I think we should all just ride Humbers... they're the same as any mountain bike... and road bike for that matter

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4134/4798454967_662f4e971c.jpg

totally agree, 1 speed and no suspension....just ride the forkin bike!!!

I think that the categories are more to classify the bikes (Generally suspension travel and geometry). The type of riding however can be done with whatever you like.

A bit blurred though because you can ride XC on a DH bike if your lungs and legs are big enough and if your skill set is big enough you can do DH on a XC bike.

Somebody posted a while back (Think it was Nige actually regarding the travel) Something along the lines of:

0-100mm = XCO

100 - 120mm = XCM

120 - 150mm = Trail

150 + Single crown = AM

Dual crown long travel = DH

A generalisation but pretty much sums it up. That's my take anyway and as far as I am concerned the type of riding is also pretty unique to each discipline as well as the type of terrain.

Claudio...as the hub staff responsible for news and media should you not be aware that this video has been posted at least three times in the last three days...do you need some training in how to use your search function....:rolleyes: :D

Claudio...as the hub staff responsible for news and media should you not be aware that this video has been posted at least three times in the last three days...do you need some training in how to use your search function.... :rolleyes: :D

Or maybe there should be a general warning on this web site > "Before posting anything a search must be made for any similar or same item that's been posted on this site - please confirm that you have searched the entire web before posting" :whistling:

Hey guys,

We are aware that it's been posted already (admittedly I'd not seen the extent of the reposts being in transit to the Cycle Fair).

The Video of the week feature may be content already posted on The Hub that week or entirely new content. It's a feature in that even if posted in the forums already it's promoted in the News & Features section on the home page.

In future we'll include a bit of a disclaimer / credit to the original forum poster(s) where there is a repeat.

Unfortunately for the forum regulars there will be repetition some weeks, but for the many visitors who don't frequent the forums it is more likely to be new content.

Thanks for the feedback Stretch... we'll search a bit deeper next time!

Regards,

Matt

Hey guys,

We are aware that it's been posted already (admittedly I'd not seen the extent of the reposts being in transit to the Cycle Fair).

The Video of the week feature may be content already posted on The Hub that week or entirely new content. It's a feature in that even if posted in the forums already it's promoted in the News & Features section on the home page.

In future we'll include a bit of a disclaimer / credit to the original forum poster(s) where there is a repeat.

Unfortunately for the forum regulars there will be repetition some weeks, but for the many visitors who don't frequent the forums it is more likely to be new content.

Thanks for the feedback Stretch... we'll search a bit deeper next time!

Regards,

Matt

i was only pulling his leg matt