Video of the Week - How to be a mountain biker

patches

But the focus seems to be on doing a mixed bag of both in a ride...yes?

that's just it... there is little to no 'focus' in AM riding. Just getting out on the trail. Trying new obstacles in stead of trying to beat PB's or rack up miles. It's not about "training" for anything, just about enjoying the technical and having fun on a ride.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, which is why I like Thaba, although that downhill track is still way beyond me.

I can do almost every jump there in my imagination, though :)

I've been begging Wendell to build a kiddies downhill run so that I can progress.

Edited by Corvus

Yes, which is why I like Thaba, although that downhill track is still way beyond me.

I can do almost every jump there mentally, though. I've been begging Wendell to build a kiddies downhill run so that I can progress.

That is happening! And it's right by the parkinglot, so no need to bundubash your poor car to get to the trail.

There's a work party gathering there this Saturday from 9am to work on the new line.

Well that is how Enduro has come about (I think)

Edit to add: that riders have now become extremely skilled & suspension technology and the bikes have progressed such a long way that the lines between all the disciplines is becoming quite blurred. Look at what Graves achieved at World Champs.

Edited by Super_mil

that's just it... there is little to no 'focus' in AM riding. Just getting out on the trail. Trying new obstacles in stead of trying to beat PB's or rack up miles. It's not about "training" for anything, just about enjoying the technical and having fun on a ride.

Well of that is the case, I do AM all the time.

By the way, Patches, where's a good place to practice downhill in Gauteng that has small obstacles?

Edit: You've answered my question. Looking forward to the easy line at Thaba.

Edited by Corvus

and you still don't take the hint?

I don't even ride all the bikes I have... and I do have a 26" bike with a DH fork on it... :)

My bike is classified as AM on the Ghost website.

26", 120mm travel front and back, 69` headtube angle, 180mm rotors front and back.

descends fairly well and not to bad on the hills, albeit a little heavy :D

26", 120mm travel front and back, 69` headtube angle, 180mm rotors front and back.

They are wrong. That description is for a poverty spec dual suspension bike. :P

ASX?

yeah

Also got one. I like the handling, but yeah verrrry heavy.

I'm thinking of putting a soft set 140mm travel fork on it though, and I feel it needs wider handlebars.

Edited by Corvus

ya, on the uphills I wish I had a lighter bike

an on the downs I wish I had more suspension

and here i thought it was bikes made in cape-town...

ya, on the uphills I wish I had a lighter bike

an on the downs I wish I had more suspension

and here i thought it was bikes made in cape-town...

too true....it seems that the AM thing has got nothing to do with kit, bikes and travel and everything to do with fun and enjoyment. That to me makes perfect sense.

too true....it seems that the AM thing has got nothing to do with kit, bikes and travel and everything to do with fun and enjoyment. That to me makes perfect sense.

ummm not entirely...

As stated previous the type of riding fits bewteen XC and DH... and the equipment allows this.

Yes you can do AM riding on a hardtail 29er, just like you could do 3 towers on a dirt jumper... but horses for courses... With AM riding the trails are most suited to medium travel bikes with slacker head angles. They can still climb hills, not like an XC bike though, but are far more forgiving on descents, rock sections, and jumps, but not as forgiving as DH bikes.

So like you say... jack of all trades, master of none.