Tubeless options

El Scorcho

Seriously though: Don't try to use non-UST tyres as tubeless, they are a bugger to inflate if you don't have a high pressure pump (i.e. the local Caltex) and don't have a strong enough side wall if you go techie.

garbage. You need to unconfuse the OP by stating the difference between TLR and fully UST compatible tyres. To encourage you, i have fully UST compatible DH carcasses that have ripped quicker than TLR DH tyres from a competing brand. In fact, the score now is 3 ripped sidewalls for UST DH tyre versus 0 (zero) rips on TLR DH carcasses.

NB to the OP: this is not a generalisation, just my experience, and serves to debunk what Carcarias said.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you cant go tubeless at once pop some stans in those tubes. The stuff is amazing.

If you do use Stans filled tubes, carry a plastic bag with you. Slime filled tubes don't naturally grow in the wild, so it IS amazing how many are picked off bushes 5m from the trail.

I get that people don't want the stuff dripping down their back, so carry a bag! I am having a severe case of humour failure with the amount of tubes being pulled off the mountain. No more, please.

I have tried Ghetto, Stans, wire bead tyres, tubeless ready tyres and proper tubeless tyres - I took best, cheapest combination - and this worked for me:

1. Proper Stans tubeless conversion - R 500

2. Front wheel - Proper UST tyre,just for the peace of mind. I have had a front tyre burp and that never ends well! look at Maxxis for good value R 450

3. Rear wheel - I am happy to use normal wire/kevlar bead - currently running Rocket Ron and will be replacing with another Rocket Ron when this one is done.

Works for me, very happy with this setup.

Edited by martinsnyman

I would not recommend the tubeless conversion with non-tubeless ready rims. Besides the extra weight you will need to replace the rim-tape about every six months and this money is much better spent on getting proper wheels like Stans or American Classic which will not need rip tape at all and works perfectly with tubeless ready tires and saves some weight too.

I have done the ghetto tubeless set up on 2 of my bikes and have never had to replace rim tape. I just top up with some Stans every 4 months or so and have had no issues whatsoever. The Stans or Joes conversion kit is merely fiberglass tape (which can be bought in rolls at sportsmans) and a rubber strip with a valve on it. Imho its a waste to buy the conversion kit if you can do it your self with tape and a tube. Great marketing buy Stans and Joes though

I would not recommend the tubeless conversion with non-tubeless ready rims. Besides the extra weight you will need to replace the rim-tape about every six months and this money is much better spent on getting proper wheels like Stans or American Classic which will not need rip tape at all and works perfectly with tubeless ready tires and saves some weight too.

Ja well .... You still need to tape Stan's ZTR rims they have spoke holes. Nothing wrong with that system, provided its done properly. And one should do annual maintenance: replace the sealant at least, but I re-tape my rims after truing them as well.

I just shake my head and say OK ........ :whistling:

Can't really afford to buy new wheels now, and I need this done asap. I'll definitely look at upgrading the wheelset in time though, but I'm set on the conversion for now.

LBS 1 has offered conversion + Maxxis tyres at ~R1500.

LBS 2 has offered conversion + Maxxis tyres at ~R1800.

Maxxis any good? Which is the relatively fast-rolling option with decent grip, like a X-King equivalent?

More misinformation. Why exactly would you need to replace the rim tape? And what exactly is your definition of a "tubeless ready" rim anyway?

There are tubeless ready (TLR) tyres and UST tyres and the same for rims. Some TLR's are better than others. some rims work better than other's too, ie inflate easily with a standard pump and hold the tyre on the rim better. UST rims and tyres in combination provide the best rim /tyre seal thanks to the bead groove design. Riding style also plays a big roll, ie how hard you make teh tyre work in corners etc.

My experience is that stiffer sidewalls and higher pressures are needed to keep non UST tyres on non UST rims. That said, some TLR tyres are simply better at rim retention and these are generally the heavier stiffer sidewall tyres like a WTB Bronson and Hans Dampf. In the AM tyre arena, there are some wannabe tyres like Spaz Purgatory which have thinnish sidewalls and almost too much grip for my converted rims - ie the grip on the ground exceeds the rim bead grip and they burp. They also bleed sealant through the sidewalls. Ultralight versions of the Nobby Nic are next to useless on my DT E540 rims rims.

Basically, if you want security and grip on a TLR set up, you are usually going to need to go heavier and stronger, depending on the rim tyre combo, and your riding style. Its not all bad though because a UST rim and tyre combo is also not that light as the tyres are stronger and thicker than some TLR tyres.

As far as inflation is concerned, if you have the right rim strip/tyre combo on a TLR set up, it should pump up as easily as a UST rim/tyre combo. the big factor seems to be how tightly the uninflated tyre seats in the middle of the rim before inflation. If thats tightish the butyl beads seem to trap the air well and they pop into the groove easily. in fact my TLR DT's pump up easier than XT UST rims with some UST tyres...

Experimentation is the name of the game.

Pull up your pants and give your mouth a chance to say something

This is why I love the hub, people misunderstanding and then being rude.

Ok I did use the incorrect term "rim tape" instead of "rim strip". I wrongly assumed people will understand what I mean. The correct term is rim strip, not rim tape. Look closely at this pic:

http://www.notubes.com/Assets/ProductImages/Tubeless_Kit2.jpg

See those 2 black things with the valves on. These are rim strips and only needed for rims which are not tubeless ready. These need to be replaced every 6 months or so. It adds weight and cost.

Edited by Mr X

More misinformation. Why exactly would you need to replace the rim tape? And what exactly is your definition of a "tubeless ready" rim anyway?

My definition of a tubeless ready rim is a rim that does not need the rim strips in order to work tubeless.

Edited by Mr X

Save yourself some money and buy a bottle of Stans and just insert it yourself.

A bottle cost as much as a topup at most LBS'. I screw off the top of the valve and then use a big syringe with tubing to put in more stans.

My definition of a tubeless ready rim is a rim that does not need the rim strips in order to work tubeless.

Not even close.That is a tubeless rim