V Brakes question

Uni

My bike has V brakes (I think that's what they're called) - I find that after riding for a while, something causes it to move so that the pads are up against the rims resulting in the wheel not spinning properly - also some squeaking while riding.

i'll adjust it and it's fine for a while and then it goes off kilter again. Is this just my cross to bear with a cheapie bike or is there something else I should check (wheel alignment seems to be seated correctly and straight)

this happens on the front brakes only

My bike has V brakes (I think that's what they're called) - I find that after riding for a while, something causes it to move so that the pads are up against the rims resulting in the wheel not spinning properly - also some squeaking while riding.

i'll adjust it and it's fine for a while and then it goes off kilter again. Is this just my cross to bear with a cheapie bike or is there something else I should check (wheel alignment seems to be seated correctly and straight)

this happens on the front brakes only

At the base where the V-brakes are attached to the frame, there should be an adjustment screw, this sets the tension of the spring that returns the brakes to the "dis-engaged" position. adjust the screws on both sides, to se the return to the correct position.

What

At the base where the V-brakes are attached to the frame, there should be an adjustment screw, this sets the tension of the spring that returns the brakes to the "dis-engaged" position. adjust the screws on both sides, to se the return to the correct position.

+1

V—brakes are the ones that are square, more like an upside down U. Calliper brakes look more like a V-shape.

V-brakes work really well when they are set-up correctly. It’s normally the tension being mismatched between the two sides, unhook the springs and see if both sit at the same angle and have the same resistance when you squeeze them.

I could go on, but it’s better to leave it to the BOSS (RIP)

http://sheldonbrown.com/canti-direct.html

Check your cables.........worn and/or dirty cables cause similar problems. Release the brakes, unhook the cable outers from the stops and slide them out of the way.

Wipe the cable with decreaser, let it dry and put a drop or so of chain lube on them. Also clean and lube the pivot points of the brake arms

jeez, so much of v-brake haters....

Nothing worng with riding with v-brakes.

Only time I "worry" about riding with v-brakes is when it's wet.

Good v-brakes still do the trick, but damn is hard work on long downhills. Does require you to keep them set well and your wheel true. but it's not like discs are maintenance free.

best part - cost of new brake pads...R35.