How long should a drivetrain last ?

JohnnyReggae

Interested in the general consensus as to how long a drivetrain on a bike should last. Cassette, deraileurs, chain, etc .. before needing to be replaced.

I've put a little over 4000km's onto my mtb that I use for commuting and the only thing I've done is replace the chain ...twice. The first after doing 2000km's I figured needed replacing. The replacement only lasted 200km's before snapping. Current chain has done almost 2000km's.

I use the ParkTool CC-32 to tell me when my drivetrain components needs replacing.

2 chains per cassette, front blades as per required. Derailleurs will last forever if you handle them correctly. Have replaced some jockey wheels in the past though.

How long is a piece of string?

You should have just replaced the link on the chain that broke.

Wear and tear varies greatly between everyone, factors that play a big role are terrain, chain maintenance, cross chaining, gear ratios you ride, your weight... As for me, 10 000km on a cassette, derailleur pulleys and big chain ring, 7000km or so on the small chain ring and 3700km per chain (I replace to reduce wear on other drivetrain components.)

Wear and tear varies greatly between everyone, factors that play a big role are terrain, chain maintenance, cross chaining, gear ratios you ride, your weight... As for me, 10 000km on a cassette, derailleur pulleys and big chain ring, 7000km or so on the small chain ring and 3700km per chain (I replace to reduce wear on other drivetrain components.)

You beat me to it.

There's a document somewhere in the pinned drivetrain thread in the tech forum called 'everything you need to know about chains' or something similar. The answers are all in there.

You beat me to it.

And you both beat me to it...lemme say it in Afrikaans...

Hoe lank is 'n stikkie tou?

Interested in the general consensus as to how long a drivetrain on a bike should last. Cassette, deraileurs, chain, etc .. before needing to be replaced.

I've put a little over 4000km's onto my mtb that I use for commuting and the only thing I've done is replace the chain ...twice. The first after doing 2000km's I figured needed replacing. The replacement only lasted 200km's before snapping. Current chain has done almost 2000km's.

also to add to the others - depends on the chains you start with. Cheaper chains, thinner chains, lighter chains etc....

at Cape Pioneer 2013 , just a day .

so everything broke at the same time. completely stukkend. after a single day in the bright outdoors.

Seems the string is one day long gentlemen.

Edited by Capricorn

at Cape Pioneer 2013 , just a day .

You beat me to it ! Verwoes 1 week! Edited by Blitzer

And you both beat me to it...lemme say it in Afrikaans...

Hoe lank is 'n stikkie tou?

How long is a chinaman... no really he is :ph34r: :whistling:

On mtb?

That's some serious miliage.

Mine starts to show wear at 1000-1200km

I replace & rotate 4-5 chains to squeeze the most out of a cassette & crank

Yeah, the drivetrain (besides the chain) should last about 3 chains. Therefor 3 chains should be rotated regularly to get the most of your drivetrain. The chain wears out about 3x faster than the rest, and a worn chain accelerates the wear on the rest.

So for example, instead of replacing the drivetrain every year, you could replace the drivetrain every 3 years if you rotate 3 chains regularly.

On mtb?

That's some serious miliage.

Mine starts to show wear at 1000-1200km

I replace & rotate 4-5 chains to squeeze the most out of a cassette & crank

I'm a lightweight, so that is one of the reasons it lasts so long. But at the end of the day I still need to fork out to replace the drivetrain every year due to the mileage I do.