Rant. How much should an event T-shirt cost?

Dazshell

Just got an email from Amashova offering a post-event T-shirt for R285.00. Isn't that a bit steep? I good quality, printed T-shirt from Woolies is less than R100 - R125. Add R25 for postage. Someone is making a lot of money here.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree.

Price obviously quality dependent, but > 150 puts a T-shirt on the steep side I'd think.

Then dont buy it!

When did we all of a sudden decide we are allowed to tell people how much THEY charge for THEIR products.

This is becoming a daily hub thing...

Go print your own one, and while you are at it, print me one too.

Then dont buy it!

When did we all of a sudden decide we are allowed to tell people how much THEY charge for THEIR products.

When did Matt sell the hub to you?

I agree don't buy the shirt if costs too much but if people want to start a thread and discuss it they are entitled to do that.

Then dont buy it!

With pleasure. R285.00 please. And don't complain, after all, you said you can't tell people how much to charge!

I am not saying what I think they should charge, I am just asking what other Hubbers think is a fair price for an event T-shirt. Hopefully if consensus can be reached, then we will be offered fairly priced stuff in future by organizers.

Just got an email from Amashova offering a post-event T-shirt for R285.00. Isn't that a bit steep? I good quality, printed T-shirt from Woolies is less than R100 - R125. Add R25 for postage. Someone is making a lot of money here.

The economics of the rag trade is a scary subject - cost to retail are massive mark-ups with plenty of players and pitfalls in-between.

Just to say - Woolworths and Amashova selling T-shirts are effectively two different products & both organizations will be making their money; and each has different risks.

You want the shirt at the price, then buy. Or buy one from WW and one from 'shova and average your cost down.

When did Matt sell the hub to you?

I agree don't buy the shirt if costs too much but if people want to start a thread and discuss it they are entitled to do that.

Yes, and I am entitled to reply....

I reckon a lot of things are overpriced which is cycling related but the guys must obviously know that people are willing to pay that price. Think back how many of us bought cycling t-shirts from events with your first couple of events

The economics of the rag trade is a scary subject - cost to retail are massive mark-ups with plenty of players and pitfalls in-between.

Just to say - Woolworths and Amashova selling T-shirts are effectively two different products & both organizations will be making their money; and each has different risks.

You want the shirt at the price, then buy. Or buy one from WW and one from 'shova and average your cost down.

There are no economic risks here. They are taking pre-orders by 8 November and delivering only on 9 December so they will know exactly how many and what sizes to print and will not be stuck with overruns. Quite clever actually as they are dated 2013 so could be a problem if they print too many.

That is very steep

The shirt prob cost R110 to make

With pleasure. R285.00 please. And don't complain, after all, you said you can't tell people how much to charge!

I am not saying what I think they should charge, I am just asking what other Hubbers think is a fair price for an event T-shirt. Hopefully if consensus can be reached, then we will be offered fairly priced stuff in future by organizers.

You are right, but at that price I simply would not buy. You clearly missed my point.

To be honest, very few of the hubbers run events as a profession, so asking them what we should be charged for shirts is like asking them what they should be charged for a car.... you will get lots of opinions, but very few that are actually based on sound economics.

If you believe that these guys sit around a table thinking of how they can screw consumers, then there is a slight detachment from reality. They are simply trying to make money like any other business. Like any other business, if they price their product too high, they will not sell it...... clearly they believe that R285 is the value they need to get to go through the trouble of creating the shirts.