Standing up to peddel.

Something I also struggle with, I find myself leaning too forward on to the handlebars for one thing. They (fundamentals skills) tried to show me the whole tilting the bike left/right as pedaling - that just made it worse. Does that serve a purpose? Does it make it easier or just look cool?

Edited by Uni

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Something I also struggle with, I find myself leaning too forward on to the handlebars for one thing. They (fundamentals skills) tried to show me the whole tilting the bike left/right as pedaling - that just made it worse. Does that serve a purpose? Does it make it easier or just look cool?

Leaning / bending forward is good and keeping the arms bent at the elbows at the same time. I think the best way to learn this is to grip the handle bars in the drops (for roadies) and not on top of the bar or hoods an dont think that you have to keep the bike straight up, just let it and your body do what comes natural (rock n roll as you put it)

Trying to keep your body upright (not bending fwd) and still (not rocking and rolling...) is not effecient and tiring. The only time you want to stay upright and still is when there is a chance your rear wheel will slip / jump or you are standing for comfort reasons i.e. to stretch, relieve pressure etc...

Its harder to do on a mtb with straight bars, thats one of the reasons why some people put bar ends on them

http://www.active.com/Assets/Cycling/a2+migration/a2+temp/nts_cycling/TomBoonenSprint.jpg

Edited by SwissVan

In the assisting of new riders I find some people who struggle to stand and pedal are not straightening their leg into the bottom of the pedal stroke. Rather the knee stays bent all the way through the stroke leading to rapid muscle fatigue.

I can't say if this is what you are battling with as you could be doing it right. Just being new to it you possibly haven't developed the required muscle strength. Maybe it's gear selection to obtain the correct slower Cadence...

So if it's not more efficient, when I'm struggling up the hill and companions tell me to stand up I can ignore them!

Most MTBers sit way too much on the Saddle. Most of the vital skills are being practised when you are out of the saddle.

I always try pedal 1 / 2 gear(s) higher / smaller than what feels comfy.

That will 'push' your legs continiously to work harder.

Do squats & lunges as well.

Sort of like girls not being able to stand and pee?

I know one who can. Gets some distance with it too.

Edited by Tumbleweed

Standing up and peddaling on a tandum is also very difficult, that is why you have to wear helmuts.

Most MTBers sit way too much on the Saddle. Most of the vital skills are being practised when you are out of the saddle.

yeah i do need to get out of my comfort zone that is the saddle. took a while to be brave enough to scoot the rear end off the saddle when descending. little steps :-)

Can you attack seated?

I'm sure you can ...

But, if standing is a problem then perhaps attacking should be left on the backburner too. LOL