New to road riding

Been doing the MTB for a while but just got a road bike... So what are the quick and dirty tips and tricks, do's and dont's?

My 1st race with the road bike will be in 3 weeks the 94.7

DO shave your legs.

DO hold an arrow straight line for 100km's, or the pro's in group G will give you a good talking to.

Nothing else matters

Go do some proper miles on the bike before the race to get used to it

Agreed. Road bike is not as laid back as a MTB and your shoulders get tired very quickly if you are not used to it.

Pity you didn't enter some of the smaller races before hand to get used to riding in a bunch. Can get scary when you are boxed in doing 35km+ and cant see a thing in front of you except some dudes butt.

Pity you didn't enter some of the smaller races before hand to get used to riding in a bunch. Can get scary when you are boxed in doing 35km+ and cant see a thing in front of you except some dudes butt.

That is why I went over to MTB

Did my 1st ride... Shirt one just to feel..

Still very unstable... And struggling with changing gears and braking. Feels as if brakes are almost out of reach?

I suggest what AfdElite said. I went for a fitting and it was like I had a whole new bike and biking experience

Feels as if brakes are almost out of reach?

For which hand positions?

On the hoods: You should be able to reach easily. If not, bike setup is probably an issue.

In the drops: I like to loosen off the brake cables, so that I can hold the leavers with 2 fingers without braking. On some leavers, you can adjust the reach, on others, you can add spacers to change the reach: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG_UwcqaAKw

Edited by garyvdm