Knoblies vs slicks

Active Monkey

This thing about MTB tires not lasting on tar? Hearsay. Urban legend.

I have had the following tires as a back tire in the last few years: Kenda Smallblock 8, Conti Race King and my all time favourite, the Crossmark. Not one of these tires lasted less than 3000km. MOSTLY tar.

After the Barberton MTB race in January, I installed Crossmark UST as a rear tire an an Ikon front. Did Feb and March TAR ROAD training for Epic. Then I did the Epic on the same tires. After that I did more km's on tar. Then I did the Jock road race in July on the same tires, trained and did the 3 Towers on the same tires. The Ikon is close to new condition, but the rear may be close to the end of its lifespan.

Go figure...

Again - those are hard, hard tires. One cannot use the crossmark & SB8 & Ikon's performance on tar as an indication on how PROPER mountain bike tyres, like the rocket ron, muddy mary, hans dampf, maxxis ardent, Minion, High Roller and so on perform on tar.

The SB8 & Crossmark are DESIGNED to work on hard surfaces - hardpack and rock / stone. They will, therefore, be as hard wearing as a set of slicks, or very close to a set of slicks.

As soon as you gravitate away from those hardpack only tires, the wear on tar increases exponentially. So no. You're wrong. It is NOT a myth. It does happen. And riding on a set of soft, grippy MTB tires on the tar will rip them to shreds within 100km.

Because they're made to be used on DIRT. Not tar.

Same as if you take a scrambler and put it on the road. Tires FINISHED in 100km. Kaput. Blown. Tread ripped apart. Can't compare that to a set of on/off road tires that come on a BMW F1200...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Again - those are hard, hard tires. One cannot use the crossmark & SB8 & Ikon's performance on tar as an indication on how PROPER mountain bike tyres, like the rocket ron, muddy mary, hans dampf, maxxis ardent, Minion, High Roller and so on perform on tar.

The SB8 & Crossmark are DESIGNED to work on hard surfaces - hardpack and rock / stone. They will, therefore, be as hard wearing as a set of slicks, or very close to a set of slicks.

As soon as you gravitate away from those hardpack only tires, the wear on tar increases exponentially. So no. You're wrong. It is NOT a myth. It does happen. And riding on a set of soft, grippy MTB tires on the tar will rip them to shreds within 100km.

Same as if you take a scrambler and put it on the road. Tires FINISHED in 100km. Kaput. Blown. Tread ripped apart. Can't compare that to a set of on/off road tires that come on a BMW F1200...

Horses for courses.

I have a 29" hardtail with 'only' 100mm of travel. I have no use for a Bronson 2.3" or a Minion. I think 90% of mtb's in RSA are sold with hardpack tires. (That is if you 'see' a bike with less than 150mm as a mtb...)

Thanks Mayhem, you saved me an essay...

Horses for courses.

I have a 29" hardtail with 'only' 100mm of travel. I have no use for a Bronson 2.3" or a Minion. I think 90% of mtb's in RSA are sold with hardpack tires. (That is if you 'see' a bike with less than 150mm as a mtb...)

For about 70% of the riding that gets done, true. The rest - 10% that are riding what they should be and 20% that got sold Crossmarks because that's what the shop had.

My original chirp was about the Ardents specifically - one 94.7 and the rear will be a chew toy for your dog.

PS - I have nothing against racing snakes, they're people too. I may even forgive you for wearing lycra, as long as I don't have to join in

:whistling:

Coming back to the OP's question. If you want to ride with the MTB, use the knoblies. They will wear a bit, but you'll have a more comfortable (slightly slower) ride. If you don't want to ride the knoblies, use the road bike. You'll be able to complete the race easily enough - altough a bit more uncomfortable but quicker.

Lol you in the same boat I was in. I bought a road bike and returned it a week later because I was not comfortable on it. Not what I was expecting. Decided I will cycle on the bike I am comfortable with. My mtb. Im doing the 55km mtb this weekend then fitting slicks and doing the 94.7

Horses for courses.

Sigh. So much of fail in this post.

You have every use for a tire that is designed to grip under any conditions.

I also never said that MTB is only reserved for bikes with more than 150mm travel. I have a 26" hardtail sitting at home, which is principally a 100mm travel machine, but is currently in pieces (needed a few to bolt onto my DS). That assertion would be dumb.

WHat my point was, and something you seem to fail to grasp, is that one cannot make sweeping statements like those which have been put across here, and expect everyone to gobble them up at a fact when they're anything but.

Fact is, only a percentage of the MTB tire market worldwide is aimed at the Marathon market, of which the Crossmark / SB8 / Ikon etc form a part. The rest are aimed at eking every bit of grip out of the tire as possible, whilst remaining relatively light weight.

That extra grip comes in the form of either tread pattern, casing type, rubber compound or a combination of the 3. IOW - a Crossmark will be hard compound, generally tough tire and thick-ish casing, but not as thick as on a Minion, for example. It will last well ont eh tar.

However - for the OP, who has Ardents, which are a soft compound tire, wide profile and thick sidewalls, it is NOT adviseable to use them on tar as they will be ripped to shreds.

Lastly - I have nothing against 100mm or even zero travel MTB machines - they all have their admirers, and they all have their desired uses.

What I do have something against is the likes of you saying that MTB tires will be okay on tar, because I have a 29er with crossmarks and that's my experience, and therefore it applies to everyone...

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem

even with knobbies, pump those suckers up very hard, and you'll find the only thing holding you back from chewing up roadies is gearing (and of course leg strength).

Yep. Passed many a roadie till my knee pulled a shitfit at the bottom of chappies this year.

Come to think of it - I should have taken that as a warning sign of things to come.

What I do have something against is the likes of you saying that MTB tires will be okay on tar, because I have a 29er with crossmarks and that's my experience, and therefore it applies to everyone...

Good for you.

Good for you.

Seems you're not listening to your signature there, bud... How is that common sense, telling someone that his tires won't wear 'cos your tires don't, even though it's a completely different tire to what you're using, with a completely different intended application?

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem

Sigh. So much of fail in this post.

You have every use for a tire that is designed to grip under any conditions.

I also never said that MTB is only reserved for bikes with more than 150mm travel. I have a 26" hardtail sitting at home, which is principally a 100mm travel machine, but is currently in pieces (needed a few to bolt onto my DS). That assertion would be dumb.

WHat my point was, and something you seem to fail to grasp, is that one cannot make sweeping statements like those which have been put across here, and expect everyone to gobble them up at a fact when they're anything but.

Fact is, only a percentage of the MTB tire market worldwide is aimed at the Marathon market, of which the Crossmark / SB8 / Ikon etc form a part. The rest are aimed at eking every bit of grip out of the tire as possible, whilst remaining relatively light weight.

That extra grip comes in the form of either tread pattern, casing type, rubber compound or a combination of the 3. IOW - a Crossmark will be hard compound, generally tough tire and thick-ish casing, but not as thick as on a Minion, for example. It will last well ont eh tar.

However - for the OP, who has Ardents, which are a soft compound tire, wide profile and thick sidewalls, it is NOT adviseable to use them on tar as they will be ripped to shreds.

Lastly - I have nothing against 100mm or even zero travel MTB machines - they all have their admirers, and they all have their desired uses.

A nice bombastic post.

Ease off on the testosterone and coffee. It is not Friday yet.

Please add substance to your post and TELL us how many km's YOU got on tar with Ardents?