Ultimate Single speed frame?

Newboy

I am starting a long term project, building my first single speed.

Step 1 is researching the frame. The only fairly firm decision for now is that it will be a 29'er and that it might be belt drive.

I am looking for opinions from hubbers.

The only fairly firm decision for now is that it will be a 29'er and that it might be belt drive.

SIR Niner

PM Wyatt Earp...pretty sure he will point you in the right direction.

It all depends on your budget and what frame material you looking at?

What is the intended use of the bike?

Bang for buck? Inbred or if you want 853 steel, a Cotic Simple.

Budget no limit? Something in titanium like Moots, Lynskey or Firefly.

Spot Rocker for belt drive.

Niner SIR or ROS9 are winners in the mid-price range.

Why not look at investing in a jig and build your own frame. It would be really fun and unique.

Why not look at investing in a jig and build your own frame. It would be really fun and unique.

It is a long term project, but I still want to finish it in this lifetime. Admittedly it will be a lot of fun and very special.

Thanks for all the other advice. I am looking at a budget of +- R 12 k for a frame, give or take a little or a lot if something really grabs my attention.

Depends what you want to do with it .If you are going to ride it to buy milk at the garage on Sunday evening ,anything will do .Training, racing short or longer events will need a strong frame and chain. Belt drive will not work or last if it is the latter .My first SS had a very light carbon HT frame and a chain tensioner .This worked well until the dropouts became loose and the wheel developed play .It was very easy to swop rear sprockets with this setup .My current SS has a steel SS only frame .Much stronger and robust ,but heavier and more cumbersome to swop rear sprockets .No chain tensioner needed also .Steel, titanium ,aluminium will last .You will save at least 1kg if you go carbon rigid fork .My ideal build will be .Lynskey titanium SS 29er frame ,rockshox sid xx 120 travel fork ,Arch rims with Hope SS rear hub ,FSA crank ,Raceface 36x 18 sprocket and strong handelbars [Not carbon ]

Edited by Blitzer

It is a long term project, but I still want to finish it in this lifetime. Admittedly it will be a lot of fun and very special.

Thanks for all the other advice. I am looking at a budget of +- R 12 k for a frame, give or take a little or a lot if something really grabs my attention.

For 12k you can buy a lynskey on CRC .I paid 82 pounds for my on-one inbred when they had a sale .Best bike money ever spend

Depends what you want to do with it .If you are going to ride it to buy milk at the garage on Sunday evening ,anything will do .Training, racing short or longer events will need a strong frame and chain. Belt drive will not work or last if it is the latter .My first SS had a very light carbon HT frame and a chain tensioner .This worked well until the dropouts became loose and the wheel developed play .It was very easy to swop rear sprockets with this setup .My current SS has a steel SS only frame .Much stronger and robust ,but heavier and more cumbersome to swop rear sprockets .No chain tensioner needed also .Steel, titanium ,aluminium will last .You will save at least 1kg if you go carbon rigid fork .My ideal build will be .Lynskey titanium SS 29er frame ,rockshox sid xx 120 travel fork ,Arch rims with Hope SS rear hub ,FSA crank ,Raceface 36x 18 sprocket and strong handelbars [Not carbon ]

Blitzer, What is the reason for the steel/ titanium/ alumimium preference for SS?

Blitzer, What is the reason for the steel/ titanium/ alumimium preference for SS?

The carbon frames work well ,but due to higher stress louds on the rear dropouts they can wear out .Unless it is a more robust rear carbon frame setup .Carbon frames also don't have sliding dropouts ,so you will always need some form of chain tensioner

Linksey Pro29 if you have a big budget

Just under R17 k at CRC. It is beautiful though. For this I might have to stretch the budget!