Calling on the Brake Fraternaties.

Helpmytrap

I bought the bike last year June and most of those miles are on open roads. I'm not heavy on braking and I bleed the brakes when the need arises.

I got myself a set of XTs (M785) recently so I'm a bit concerned now that they're not going to be as "fit and forget" as I want them to be.

Just out of interest, are you sure you bled them correctly? I'm no expert, but I've heard that they require one-directional bleeding and doing it the wrong way can cause issues with seals in the reservoir.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got myself a set of XTs (M785) recently so I'm a bit concerned now that they're not going to be as "fit and forget" as I want them to be.

Just out of interest, are you sure you bled them correctly? I'm no expert, but I've heard that they require one-directional bleeding and doing it the wrong way can cause issues with seals in the reservoir.

Yebo.

If in doubt, consult the manual.

XT Bleeding Manual.pdf

I spoke to one of the Shimano guys and there was a problem with the levers and a few callipers on the earlier models of the new XT range.They have since corrected the issues and almost no problems now.

Your brakes may be safe, it is only a few with issues. They are fantastic brakes, and like I said, I only bleed them when necessary. It was necessary when the rear brake was replaced (same hose, new lever and calliper), the LBS didn't allow the calliper to hang which left air in the calliper. The other bleed was when the front brake wouldn't release due to the master cylinder not returning to its original position (like the pic in the OP), bleeding it sorted it out for 2 weeks before it malfunctioned again.

I spoke to a mate this morning who has the same XT M785s, he has never had a days hassle with them.

I spoke to one of the Shimano guys and there was a problem with the levers and a few callipers on the earlier models of the new XT range.They have since corrected the issues and almost no problems now.

I'm sure they have corrected it, I just seem to have been the unlucky recipient of 3 of those levers.

Guest Omega Man

We have Hope X2 set in stock for R3795 - total price incl VAT for both sides - far cheaper than CRC...

We might still have some SLX left - will check today.

That's a Damn good price. Do you guys have V4's in stock?

JUst a quick q - what is wrong with the XX stuff you have?

I don't like the modulation on them and they don't stop as good as the XT's either. Other than that they aren't mine, I'm just borrowing them.

We have Hope X2 set in stock for R3795 - total price incl VAT for both sides - far cheaper than CRC...

We might still have some SLX left - will check today.

Dammit, Naas!

Fair enough. But ito stopping power mine were pretty damn good! Must have an issue with the bleeding, or they're not bled correctly. But then if you're more used to Shimano (which have a very on/off type of feel to them) then I can't blame you for thinking htat they're strange.

Fair point cpt. Putting it that way, I don't like them because they feel different. :whistling:

HAHA!! Yeah. Exactly. Like an MS fan dissing Apple. Not because they know how it works and don't like the way it works, but because it doesn't have a "start" button in the bottom left hand corner

EDIT: You're the former. You don't like how they work, but have tried to use them.

Others are also pseudo techies. They think they've put enough widgets on to resemble something that they're used to, but what they don't get is that the whole system is alphanumeric as opposed to binary, and they throw their hands up in the air when they don't understand why it doesn't work "like my old one"

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem

Guest Omega Man

HAHA!! Yeah. Exactly. Like an MS fan dissing Apple. Not because they know how it works and don't like the way it works, but because it doesn't have a "start" button in the bottom left hand corner

EDIT: You're the former. You don't like how they work, but have tried to use them.

Others are also pseudo techies. They think they've put enough widgets on to resemble something that they're used to, but what they don't get is that the whole system is alphanumeric as opposed to binary, and they throw their hands up in the air when they don't understand why it doesn't work "like my old one"

There are no MS fans. Apple fans yes. MS is the devil.

Edited by Omega Man

My Slx's were awesome but I sold them right after the one side was replaced under warranty after it leaked at the lever. Got Hope Tech X2's - great brakes and I can actually service/repair them when needed not bin them.