Is it ok to kill a cyclist?

Skylark

Very interesting article on Nytimes today how when a vehicle collides with a cyclist that results in the cyclists death the driver almost never gets charged with anything other than minor infractions, article is based on American experiences but the exact same thing happens here. It's almost as if your life is automatically devalued when you step onto a bike.

Make a very good point - When two cars crash, everybody agrees that one of the two drivers may well be to blame; cops consider it their job to gather evidence toward that determination. But when a car hits a bike, it’s like there’s a collective cultural impulse to say, “Oh, well, accidents happen.”

Article here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/10/opinion/sunday/is-it-ok-to-kill-cyclists.html?_r=0&pagewanted=all

The sad truth is that most drivers hate cyclists.If more people used bicycles as transport then this might change.

Cops see it in the same lights as pedestrians that get killed....they shouldn't be on the road.

The sad truth is that most drivers hate cyclists.If more people used bicycles as transport then this might change.

Cops see it in the same lights as pedestrians that get killed....they shouldn't be on the road.

Because cyclists give themselves a bad name. Just like all taxis are painted with the same brush, cyclists are too. As a cyclist driving a car we are aware of cyclists. Non cyclist motorists not so.

I do not understand how cyclists adhere to traffic laws that suit them. Why is it not obligatory for a pedal bicycle as a road going vehicle to be illuminated, licenced etc?

So cyclists killed on the road are as a result of angry, hate motivated drivers?

Is the poor road manners of some cyclists good reason to randomly kill another cyclist?

I don't think either of those statements are true and anyway most cyclists are killed as a result of negligent drivers not vindictive premeditated actions.

But the point of that article is how little the law enforcement agencies around the world care about the actions of motorists when they run over and kill cyclists. I suppose the nature of a bicycle makes it very hard to investigate, when 2 vehicles have an accident it's much easier to piece things together and as a result prosecute.

These two guys go down Rivonia road most mornings and almost always skip traffic lights. Because I'm a cyclist and I'm more aware of cyclists on the road, but other road users aren't. A little respect is what's required from both road users. We need to stop with the whole, "Me, me, me" syndrome.post-45774-0-43780100-1384150361_thumb.jpg

These two guys go down Rivonia road most mornings and almost always skip traffic lights. Because I'm a cyclist and I'm more aware of cyclists on the road, but other road users aren't. A little respect is what's required from both road users. We need to stop with the whole, "Me, me, me" syndrome.post-45774-0-43780100-1384150361_thumb.jpg

R500 FINE FOR YOU SIR, LAW BREAKER

So I was at a braai recently (+- 10 guys - me outsider) and the conversation turned to cyclists, yellow lines etc and I was shocked at the hatred toward cyclists by these guys - it was scarey. Half the guys willingly admitted to "going" for the cyclists. I could not believe the level of animosity displayed and the pride of having "shown" these cyclists a thing or two.

As a cyclist and driver I believe that we as cyclists should seriously consider a campaign that would improve the attitude toward us and I suppose it starts with each one us and our attitude.

So I was at a braai recently (+- 10 guys - me outsider) and the conversation turned to cyclists, yellow lines etc and I was shocked at the hatred toward cyclists by these guys - it was scarey. Half the guys willingly admitted to "going" for the cyclists. I could not believe the level of animosity displayed and the pride of having "shown" these cyclists a thing or two.

As a cyclist and driver I believe that we as cyclists should seriously consider a campaign that would improve the attitude toward us and I suppose it starts with each one us and our attitude.

I think some element of jealousy is the reason, most white male South Africans are rugby supporters, have a look at their bodies, big tummy's and thick legs from all the meat and alcohol, like bloated frogs.

No wonder they hate the slim and fit cyclist.

I almost got cancelled on Saturday morning on my bicycle by two cyclists who skipped a red light as I was coming down the hill into Midstream. They didn't even look before they jumped the light as far as I could see.

unless you drive a left-hand drive car you are just as guilty by using your cellphone while driving.

unless you drive a left-hand drive car you are just as guilty by using your cellphone while driving.

And we only had to wait a whole 15 minutes for that comment. Hub is a bit slow this monday

Well written article. I like his last "solution" paragraph.

Last paragraph

"So here’s my proposal: Every time you get on a bike, from this moment forward, obey the letter of the law in every traffic exchange everywhere to help drivers (and police officers) view cyclists as predictable users of the road who deserve respect. And every time you get behind the wheel, remember that even the slightest inattention can maim or kill a human being enjoying a legitimate form of transportation. That alone will make the streets a little safer"

Edited by porqui

A major problem is the distinction (or lack of) between cyclists and pedestrians.

Drivers of motor vehicles have to treat cyclists as vehicles yet see them jumping red lights and stop streets (bad); taking short cuts around traffic lights and having their own demarcated areas on the road (good).

This provokes envy and I think there are quite a few tin box pilots who think cyclists and their bicycles should be licensed. This would serve no purpose except to satisfy the ire of a few nutcases who turn apoplectic every time a bike zips past them in traffic.

It would also damage the cheap and green image as multiple layers of bureaucracy would be added to the simple and beautiful process of buying and riding a bicycle whether it be from a shop, classifieds or a mate.

As far as the law is concerned; I am not an expert but am led to believe that it (traffic law) is based on a give way/yield system i.e. if a pedestrian is in the road it is your responsibility under the law to do your best to avoid them.

I would think this applies to all vehicles including bicycles.

So idiots saying they actively "Go for cyclists" as mentioned earlier; would they have the same attitude to a pedestrian or a motorcycle? I ride a motorbike as well as drive a car so can say with some degree of conviction that some car drivers like to go for motorcycles as well.

That said no one tried to kill me at the weekend and some drivers shouted encouragement as I was struggling against the wind.

At least that's what I think they meant....