2014 Giant Trance 27.5 2

nolipoli

I have just pushed "Go" on the 2015 Reign, and bidding farewell to the Trance in the process.

I always wanted the Trance SX, and seriously considered just upgrading my Trance, but it doesn't make sense next to the Reign.

Edit: Advert to follow for the Trance.

It sounds like you went and injured yourself in order to justify (to the wife) selling the trance and buying a Reign... :ph34r:

Its what I would have done :whistling:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With hindsight the only change I would have made to my '14 Trance purchase would have been to swap out the standard Nobby Nics to some with snakeskin sidewalls (tanks for the advice Capricorn) or another tougher tyre, particularly if going tubeless like I did and if prone to the odd red mist downhill moment.

My tyres that came with the bike never sealed properly as tubeless and always went soft and I suspect I have destroyed one with a bit of a kamakazi (for me) downhill. The standard Nobby Nic's have got the pappest sidewalls I have even felt in a tyre (maybe even a tube!)

ya the tyres are an issue, i cut my rear on second ride but luckilly the guys here told me how to fix it with Dental floss and it is still holding. will definately look for snakeskin with pacestar next...only other thing i want to change is the brakes to the SLX,s 

It sounds like you went and injured yourself in order to justify (to the wife) selling the trance and buying a Reign... :ph34r:

Its what I would have done :whistling:

Oh yes... The deviousness when it comes to upgrades knows no limits!!!

Oh yes... The deviousness when it comes to upgrades knows no limits!!!

"This bike is trying to kill me!"

I may have said this to my wife. Hahaha!

That's awesome! Unfortunately I do not have that much time at the moment...so just a weekend warrior.

Yeah... I've been bringing the bike to work and slipping away early, to catch some sunlight, as well as some long 30-50km weekend rides. Anyway, going to be away for 2 weeks now. Going to miss my Trance.

I have just pushed "Go" on the 2015 Reign, and bidding farewell to the Trance in the process.

I always wanted the Trance SX, and seriously considered just upgrading my Trance, but it doesn't make sense next to the Reign.

Edit: Advert to follow for the Trance.

Chief, any reason why you say "It doesnt make sense next to the Reign"?

Reason i ask is that im currently planning a build to Trance SX Specs on a 2015 Alu Frame. 160 Dual Pike, Upgraded rear shock, 1x10, Hope and Flows with full XT. The Reign will be 10k cheaper, but there is quite a bit of room for the upgrade bug to bite.

Ps: Think Giant made a big mistake colour matching virtually every omponent of their 2015 complete builds :-)

I was in similar predicament:

2015 Trance 2 complete 23500

Dropper 2200

Hope on Flow 6500

Bars and stem 1500

Dual Pike 12000

Tyres 1300

= R47000 and thats not including xt, upgrade rear shock so you can probably add another 6k there. No body really wants the stock parts either :( Feels like you buying a bike and stripping absolutely everything and making it do something it wasn't intended to do. If you go the Frameset only option its also hellishly expensive. A bike in this price range opens doors to other bikes like the Pyga Pascoe.

I wouldn't be completely comfortable hitting the things I do on the Trance unless all of those upgrades were done.

Reign is R33000 and although some components are not quite as top of the line as the Trance above, they are all solid enough to take a beating without any upgrades. I.e Pike, AM wheels etc. 

End of the day its about what kind of riding you do and how much you willing to pay. Reign is for the bigger stuff but can still pedal well to the top. Trance is a great pedaling trail bike that can still descend very well.

I was in similar predicament:

2015 Trance 2 complete 23500

Dropper 2200

Hope on Flow 6500

Bars and stem 1500

Dual Pike 12000

Tyres 1300

= R47000 and thats not including xt, upgrade rear shock so you can probably add another 6k there. No body really wants the stock parts either :( Feels like you buying a bike and stripping absolutely everything and making it do something it wasn't intended to do. If you go the Frameset only option its also hellishly expensive. A bike in this price range opens doors to other bikes like the Pyga Pascoe.

I wouldn't be completely comfortable hitting the things I do on the Trance unless all of those upgrades were done.

Reign is R33000 and although some components are not quite as top of the line as the Trance above, they are all solid enough to take a beating without any upgrades. I.e Pike, AM wheels etc. 

End of the day its about what kind of riding you do and how much you willing to pay. Reign is for the bigger stuff but can still pedal well to the top. Trance is a great pedaling trail bike that can still descend very well.

I hear you, but why not just buy a frame only

Frame R13k, with shock upgrade R15k

full build components at around 28k (have a dropper and bars) plus build and im around 45k

I looked at building a Pascoe, but, firstly, they only go up to a Large frame, and, im looking at another 8 - 10k for the frame with shock upgrade.

BTW, how well does that new Reign pedal up hills? I do 90% of my tech riding at Giba and the likes, and youre either climbing (properly) or descending (as hard as you willing to push).

When I did the sums it was about 50k and that was with the stock shock. I also didn't have 50k in cash so the complete would have been a better route with an upgrade a month kind of thing (but then I'd only be happy with the bike after a few months)

I said this in the other thread, on Sunday I didn't have to push up once which is something I have never been able to do. My Stumpjumper FSR was a size too small though so I was never happy on the uphills. So far I am stoked at the Reigns climbing ability. Before buying I googled for reviews and "phenomenal climber for 160mm bike" was the general theme. The Trance will of course be a better climber though so again, it depends what you want out of the bike. I ride for the descents so the Reign with 160mm travel at that price was an obvious choice.

The stock Trance 2 is a bit too trail for me but a Trance Sx or highly kitted out Trance 2 was super tempting although it was expensive and not quite as capable on the descents. By the sounds of it though the the Trance Sx type of bike is more up your alley  :thumbup:

Reason i ask is that im currently planning a build to Trance SX Specs on a 2015 Alu Frame. 160 Dual Pike, Upgraded rear shock, 1x10, Hope and Flows with full XT. The Reign will be 10k cheaper, but there is quite a bit of room for the upgrade bug to bite.

Ps: Think Giant made a big mistake colour matching virtually every omponent of their 2015 complete builds :-)

Have you seen this bad boy?  :drool:

Trance SX Advanced Frame:

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/106472-2014-650b-giant-trance-sx-advanced-enduro-specific/

hubmarket-38088-0-98839900-1411643408_me

Hey man, I think Brawler has got a lot of the reason already in his reply, but I was looking at a few things in particular, namely Fork, Angleset, Brakes, Rims.

I wanted a 160mm fork, which was ging to cost R5K plus (after selling original) - not even a PIKE.

I wanted an angleset to slacken the bike out further - R1.5 - 2K

Brakes - 2K

Wider Rims / Wheels - 2K at best with rebuilding

This meant spending an extra 11K on the bike that I would never recoup (upgrades just don't hold value). For this, it was close enough to the Reign that I decided to rather get the newer bike which comes with the PIKE. The Reign has also benfitted from an extra year of geometry progression.

Aside from this, I have owned 3 Reigns and 3 Trances - and have always been happiest on the Reigns. So emotionally, thats where I want to be.

Hey guys, help me out here please. I'm about to pull the trigger on a 2nd hand 2014 Trance but I'm still very hesitant about using this bike as my every day (2nd day actually) ride.

I’m no longer into mtb racing and purely use my mtb as a fitness tool for offroad dirtbike racing. I live 5mins away from a trail that is mostly XC type riding (20-30km) and only hit the gnarly stuff on the weekend. How will the Trance hold up on a XC type trail? Will the slack angles and pedal bob drive me insane or has a lot of progress been made in that regard on the Trance?

I'm keen to do a few enduro rides as well and I know that's where the Trance will shine.

Ta :thumbup: 

Hey guys, help me out here please. I'm about to pull the trigger on a 2nd hand 2014 Trance but I'm still very hesitant about using this bike as my every day (2nd day actually) ride.

I’m no longer into mtb racing and purely use my mtb as a fitness tool for offroad dirtbike racing. I live 5mins away from a trail that is mostly XC type riding (20-30km) and only hit the gnarly stuff on the weekend. How will the Trance hold up on a XC type trail? Will the slack angles and pedal bob drive me insane or has a lot of progress been made in that regard on the Trance?

I'm keen to do a few enduro rides as well and I know that's where the Trance will shine.

Trance is a great all rounder. I have improved all of my XC times and managed some good results in the XC races i have done in the WP -  best being a 7th in the Piketboberg. Mine is set up slacker than most with a solo air 160mm fork and heavier shock than stock. Also rolling on big tires. So if the price is right it is a great 2nd hand buy... And for any of the rougher stuff, and the descents you will cream it - all with a big grin on your face!

Do it! Perfect bike for you... It is much better on the way up than my old 26er XC bike. I've had it for a month and I keep getting faster and faster. Up and down. I almost never lock the rear and just leave it on trail for the climbs. I feel no bob.

Do it! Perfect bike for you... It is much better on the way up than my old 26er XC bike. I've had it for a month and I keep getting faster and faster. Up and down. I almost never lock the rear and just leave it on trail for the climbs. I feel no bob.

so...who's Bob?

Archived