2014 Giant Trance 27.5 2

nolipoli

So yesterday when I loosened my front wheel to load it in my car I noticed the matt black peeling off my fork!!

Any ideas on stopping it from peeling any further?

post-41958-0-20837400-1414691274_thumb.jpg

post-41958-0-75087500-1414691589_thumb.jpg

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So yesterday when I loosened my front wheel to load it in my car I noticed the matt black peeling off my fork!!

Any ideas on stopping it from peeling any further?

It will damage the paint there. Most of the thru axle clamping pressure is applied there. It should not spread too much because lower forces at play elsewhere. Over time, surface corrosion of the exposed metal may lift a bit more paint. If you live near the coast this might become unsightly but inland will be so slow you may not notice.

It will damage the paint there. Most of the thru axle clamping pressure is applied there. It should not spread too much because lower forces at play elsewhere. Over time, surface corrosion of the exposed metal may lift a bit more paint. If you live near the coast this might become unsightly but inland will be so slow you may not notice.

Thanks, I understand the reason why it happens there - just didn't expect it so soon as the bike is 1 month old.

I do live in Blouberg (Cape Town)...

Is there nothing I can put on that area to touch up in the mean time like clear nail varnish or something??

Fox Fork on my new SC lost paint this way after the first few rides. That part of the fork probably should not even be painted

So I'm  sure the folk that inhabit this forum are rather biased but I will ask their esteemed opinions anyway. I seem to have cracked my beloved Trance 29er frame, I am awaiting the results of that one though, so I was thinking do I investigate this whole small medium large wheel debacle a bit further or stay where I am with 29? 

I would have to invest in new wheels and fork so there would be a cost involved if I had to request a 650 frame instead, and I've just invested in a new set  of 29er wheels too! And would my current shock be transferable to a 650?  The rest of my set up is where I want to be, but it is concerning that Giant has almost totally pulled out of 29, not even a current Trance 29 available!

So do I change at expense and go 650, or stay with 29 if available. Or go Pyga? Riding in Dundee is predominately trail style and rather technical,  I'm not really into the XC thing anymore and more into riding for fun which includes railing and airtime! Any advice?

Oh I suppose I should add that I am 184cm

If you ride technical tails and like "railing and airtime" the 27.5 Trance seems like an obvious choice, especially considering the 29er Trance is dead. You are also getting a newer, stronger and extremely well received platform.

I'm sure you could sell your 29er stuff pretty easily.

Dof question but does anyone have a comparison between climbing ability between 29 and 650, downhill is apparently obvious

So I'm  sure the folk that inhabit this forum are rather biased but I will ask their esteemed opinions anyway. I seem to have cracked my beloved Trance 29er frame, I am awaiting the results of that one though, so I was thinking do I investigate this whole small medium large wheel debacle a bit further or stay where I am with 29? 

I would have to invest in new wheels and fork so there would be a cost involved if I had to request a 650 frame instead, and I've just invested in a new set  of 29er wheels too! And would my current shock be transferable to a 650?  The rest of my set up is where I want to be, but it is concerning that Giant has almost totally pulled out of 29, not even a current Trance 29 available!

So do I change at expense and go 650, or stay with 29 if available. Or go Pyga? Riding in Dundee is predominately trail style and rather technical,  I'm not really into the XC thing anymore and more into riding for fun which includes railing and airtime! Any advice?

Oh I suppose I should add that I am 184cm

I'd personally go for a PYGA 110/29er if you've got all the other bits. With the fork off the Trance niner, and your new wheels, it'll be a match made in heaven. And even though I love the new trance, buying the new frame and then changing all your components (fork / wheels etc) around would be a bit silly given how new they are. 

Plus - the 110/29er is a ripper of a bike. 

I'd personally go for a PYGA 110/29er if you've got all the other bits. With the fork off the Trance niner, and your new wheels, it'll be a match made in heaven. And even though I love the new trance, buying the new frame and then changing all your components (fork / wheels etc) around would be a bit silly given how new they are.

The next problem would be the non availability of a Pyga frame in my size, apparently will only be available in Jan, although there are second hand options out there

The next problem would be the non availability of a Pyga frame in my size, apparently will only be available in Jan, although there are second hand options out there

That's just 2 months away...

Very good advice right there. Pyga 110 is a beast. 

Looking for a 2nd Hand 2014 Trance 2 if any one is selling? Recently bought an anthem X 1, Is it bad to want a trance as well?

Looking for a 2nd Hand 2014 Trance 2 if any one is selling? Recently bought an anthem X 1, Is it bad to want a trance as well?

Bike addiction is a common problem. I have it really bad. 

Archived