Absolute Beginner. Need advice

hiro

Hi guys

I am able to ride a bike without falling off. That's the sum total of my cycling skill.

But my office has relocated to within 5km if home and I want to cycle to work. It's from Norwood to Rosebank.

What sort of bike should I start with? My budget is pretty slim :-(

You better than a lot of people on thehub if you don't fall off, so don't stop what you doing!!

If its only 5km and you want to maybe start Mtb riding then scan thehub classifieds for a decent spec 26" Mtb - bargains galore!

What's your budget?

Just get one of these. The only bike you'll ever need.

http://farm9.static.flickr.com/8147/7596309406_365656f73b.jpg

http://www.italiaanseracefietsen.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/fondriest-tf3-1-2.jpg

If your budget is pretty slim, no worries. The bike posted above is off your list. The first big decision, is a road bike or a mountain bike? Having established that, your options ate... Go for a road bike with little or no carbon , a few years old. For the mountain bike, a bike with 26" frame will be priced competively, as its "out of fashion" and a good buy. Don't buy a "supermarket" bike, get something decent straight away. Good luck.

If your budget is pretty slim, no worries. The bike posted above is off your list. The first big decision, is a road bike or a mountain bike? Having established that, your options ate... Go for a road bike with little or no carbon , a few years old. For the mountain bike, a bike with 26" frame will be priced competively, as its "out of fashion" and a good buy. Don't buy a "supermarket" bike, get something decent straight away. Good luck.

+1 :thumbup:

Hi guys

I am able to ride a bike without falling off. That's the sum total of my cycling skill.

But my office has relocated to within 5km if home and I want to cycle to work. It's from Norwood to Rosebank.

What sort of bike should I start with? My budget is pretty slim :-(

This one.

http://pics.campl.us/f/6/6779.269daab879a86e183ecf72bde66521e9.jpg

Some good advice already but if we know what your budget is it might be easier to make more specific suggestions. ;)

Also go to your local Cash Crusaders and pawn shops, they generally dont know the value of bikes and sell them for a lot cheaper than the classified here on the hub.

Also go to your local Cash Crusaders and pawn shops, they generally dont know the value of bikes and sell them for a lot cheaper than the classified here on the hub.

nice to see some "pay it forward" there Scott.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm definitely planning to get a Mountain Bike, as the I will be cruising pavements and some sand patches.

Budget is around 2k. Need to see if the bug bites before I splash any serious cash on a fancy bike.

Is there anything I should look for in particular? Or avoid?

As said earlier, DO NOT buy a bike from Makro or Pick n Pay. It may even be worth visiting these fine establishments so you know what to avoid.

Look out for something second hand, I'm pretty sure there will be a few links from the classifieds posted here shortly.