Kliprug Section CLOSED

BrandonF_

I am a non memeber. For what reasons do you feel the need to confront us non memebers. I pay and ride the trails, nothing wrong with that.

My reference to confrontation relates to when I see a rider without a board on the members only corridors.

Members are empowered (obligated actually) to self-police the trails, and check whether riders without boards have actually paid to use the trail.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For the simple reason of standing in the carpark of Hoogekraal, for one, and seeing atleast 9 non members going past the honesty box, enjoying the trails without any contribution or realization of the effort put in and maintaning these trails. If you pay the honesty box, good on you, stay honest, this world needs it.

I have a question.

Non Member (an honest one) uses, say, Hoogekraal. He puts his R30.00 into the Honesty Box (by the way, the little slot is very narrow, you struggle to get the notes in and coins even more :whistling: ) He goes along his merry way, enjoying the fabulous trails and content that he did the right thing.

Next moment he gets confronted by a Number displaying member who wants to know if he paid. He has no proof of payment, but says he did. Member does not believe him and argument ensues. How do you prevent this scenario from developing?

I have a question.

Non Member (an honest one) uses, say, Hoogekraal. He puts his R30.00 into the Honesty Box (by the way, the little slot is very narrow, you struggle to get the notes in and coins even more :whistling: ) He goes along his merry way, enjoying the fabulous trails and content that he did the right thing.

Next moment he gets confronted by a Number displaying member who wants to know if he paid. He has no proof of payment, but says he did. Member does not believe him and argument ensues. How do you prevent this scenario from developing?

realistically, the only time you will get confronted is if you are on the member-only sections or if you are seen riding past the honesty box.

realistically, the only time you will get confronted is if you are on the member-only sections or if you are seen riding past the honesty box.

But it is possible.

I have a question.

Yip. Real problem that. An honesty-system will always be open to dishonesty. Given that we're talking about access to private property here, I fear that on balance the whole concept of members only for all trails and corridors might be the only solution. Many people will complain, but one can't design a sustainable model around non-members. The risk is very real that there won't be any trails to squabble about.

Yip. Real problem that. An honesty-system will always be open to dishonesty. Given that we're talking about access to private property here, I fear that on balance the whole concept of members only for all trails and corridors might be the only solution. Many people will complain, but one can't design a sustainable model around non-members. The risk is very real that there won't be any trails to squabble about.

Agree, that is why there is no more Day Access allowed on the Bottelary trails.

Surfer if you are a non member on a members only section then yes you should be confronted.

The SGM to discuss the setting of fees for next year is next week. I imagine this will have a large impact on what the outcome will be. It does not seem that club will be entering in to discussions on the night so perhaps those of you who have queries ought to email the Commitee in the hope they will answer you.

It's not gonna happen any time soon that only members can ride these trails.

All good and well policing the non-members.

But the closure of the trail was caused by the actions of a member(in more than one sense of the word)! :cursing:

Why someone would have the need to get off a perfectly decent singletrack to ride through the farmer's plowed fields is completely beyond my limited understanding

Edited by Skubarra

Lets hope the twat is man enough to come forward, him and his dumb ass mate. Seems there may be other trail closures if people continue behave like tjops :cursing:

yes, this has already happened on the Wannabees trails (on a Stellenbosch wine farm, which is now closed to MTB).

If I was the farmer, I'd also excercise my right to privacy...pity though....but there will always be a cunch of bunts that ruins it for everyone else!

If I was the farmer, I'd also excercise my right to privacy...pity though....but there will always be a cunch of bunts that ruins it for everyone else!

I agree Cassie, not sure that if I was a farmer I would have allowed a mtb trail to go through my farm. Just don't seem worth the hassle.

As mtb'ers I think we tend to take our access to private property far too easily for granted (myself included), I hope this is a wake-up call for everybody involved how precarious our access to trails really is.

I have a question.

As long as you aren't on the new section of Hoogekraal (which is members only) then there is nothing the member can do.

I think the new section however needs bigger signs saying members only. I know 2 people (non-members) who have ridden the new section and honestly didn't know it was only for members.

I think sometimes its confusing for people to know which trails are members only and which trails are for non-members.

The corridors however are well sign posted so know excuse.

There is still day access, visit the website for info.

Interesting concept. So no honesty system. Buy your day permit at pre-determined outlets, display your board, and you're good to go. That way everybody on the trails must have a board on display - no exceptions. No board - no ride. Self-policing then by all paid-up members. Maybe the TBMTBC committee members will look into this.